It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Depression Message Board

• Is that "airhead" feeling common?

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 07-25-2005, 08:27 PM   #1
    JuanVicente
    (male)

JuanVicente HB User
    Is that "airhead" feeling common?

After plenty of L-Theanine, water, good food, good sleep and avoiding caffeine and too much sugar I feel my mind is getting out of the anxiety and depression faster than usual.

But when I get out of depression sometimes I go into a numb "high" that I don't like AT ALL! I feel like I want to do everything I used to do but with less caution and without as much mental focus and understanding. I don't know if anyone here knows what I'm talking about, but I feel like a "happy Zombie" as opposed to a happy human with insight as to why I feel happy about something. This is almost as confusing as the depression because I didn't believe or understand at all why I was depressed about certain things and now I don't know why I feel overly happy about something that I really feel I have no choice but to focus on, though I don't think of it as much a focus of conscious effort as it usually is.

Does anyone else here know what I'm talking about?

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 07-25-2005, 09:55 PM   #2
    subway13
    Inactive
    (female)

subway13 HB User
    Re: Is that "airhead" feeling common?

are you getting unrealistic ideas and things when your feeling happy like this? It may be manic episodes your experiencing if you're bipolar. Other then that I don't really know :|

Old 07-26-2005, 10:41 AM   #3
    Bubbly23
    (female)

Bubbly23 HB User

Hey

i totally know what you are talking about - i feel like this now and then and cannot help but anylise it as much as i would when i am feeling depressed. When i feel like this i suddenly think of BiPolar - which i have always been really scared to admit i MAY have. I hav never been told that i have it but you know how your mind works, when i first got ill i was convinved i had schizophrenia!! Im just scared to find i have anything with a name other than depression

Anyway, back to you - im sure others here know what youre talking about. When i feel like that and start questioning it, i sometimes think "WHY CANT I JUST APPRECIATE BEING HAPPY!!!??? AAARGH" But its a weird type of happiness - with that lack of caution, almost cockiness, like TOTALLY opposite to how you are when you feel depressed.

I cant give you an explanation of it but just to let you know you arent alone.
    I think sometimes we think we are the only person that feels things we do, but guarenteed when you post on here about something, atleast one person will reply saying they feel it too.

Our bodies work in strange ways, usually there is always a reason, what we have eaten, hormonal changes, or just being human - we get moods we cant always explain... but as depressives we tend to anylise things more, wanting reasons...whereas a lot of 'normal' people would say ' i feel really hypa today, i dunno why' and not worry about it.

Anyway - i know this feeling is just as frustrating and confusin as depression but try to use it to your advantage, to do things u wish u could do when u feel depressed. Get creative, write, put soem music on and dance and sing, if u feel like it. Try accept that thats how you are and go with it...dont worry. Unless of course you want to talk to a professional about it who may be able to treat it.

Bubbly

Old 07-26-2005, 11:16 AM   #4
    RainSerpent
    Veteran
    (male)

RainSerpent HB User

Unless you are having grandiose ideas, I think you are doing ok Juan. Have you ever thought that the "happy zombie" thing might be what it is like to feel normal? Think about it. How long have you been depressed? Why not just feel happy without having to analyze the hell out of it (being overly cautious, hypervigilant) ? You said you did not know why you were depressed and now do not know why you are happy. Isn't it obvious?

Kudos to you for taking up a healthful diet and getting plenty of rest! That is so important. I have been trying to do the same. Now, if I could only exersize more... Anyway, glad you are feeling better.

Old 07-26-2005, 02:50 PM   #5
    JuanVicente
    (male)

JuanVicente HB User

Well I don't feel in control of my feelings anymore and because of that I feel like a puppet for depression and "happiness" as opposed to someone who feels a certain way for a reason. My current "happiness" is just a very cool calmness with an 'anything goes' kind of attitude and that is something I've never had. I don't want to assume and say I am bi-polar, but in the way that these feelings are polar opposites I just feel very confused. They're mood swings that go to either very depressed and oppressed to very calm and not worrying. I could walk out in traffic and not be scared probably. I feel such a lack of insight into my own thoughts.

Another way to explain it is loneliness. When I get too lonely I have the urge to talk to certain people I know and during my depression I wanted to but I couldn't reach them for certain reasons and didn't want the mental burden of carrying a conversation because of that state I was in, but what I wanted was to be around them as my pre-depression self. Now I don't feel that urge with a friend or whatever, yet I'm still lonely because of the fact that I'm coming out of a depression where I was withdrawn. I feel that if I were around them I wouldn't care that they're there, but I would be calm and serene. Very similar to what I feel during depression minus the negativity. It's almost as if my head is rocking back and forth and not staying in the center

Old 07-26-2005, 03:36 PM   #6
    xpax
    Inactive
    (male)

xpax HB User

Well JuanVicente, I can relate in that when my antidepression meds are working, I feel like I'm being blissfully propped up with sticks out of the mud I'm usually splashing around in.

I feel a contentment, but it has no basis in reality. If I think about my problems and feel the depression something blocks out those thoughts and I am yes, a "happy zombie" with little presence of mind.

I put it down to the meds and like Bubbly23 just go with the flow, even if it is mindless semi-happiness.

Good Health, xpax

Old 07-27-2005, 11:25 AM   #7
    RainSerpent
    Veteran
    (male)

RainSerpent HB User

There is a maxim that states: you should bring a level of consciousness apropriate to the task at hand. Often, I find that it is hard for me to function in such a proper capacity. It is not like I want to live in a Zen state of mind, I just want to be able to experience all that life has to offer. Most of all: I want to be effective in what I do.

So what happens when I am walking across the street, talking with others, reflecting on the day's experiences or even planning for the future? I become hopelessly distracted. What is going on? The same thing that has been going on every day of my life for who knows how long... That little voice in my head is buzzing with its incessant chatter. Not really a stream of words per se but an endless pouring of deep emotional impressions. Anything contrary to the flow has to be assimilated or the self will experience the psychological pain of cognitive dissonance. One denies, disowns, distracts, represses or disassociates (goes numb).

Meditation helps some people bring themselves back in touch with what is going on around them. Some prefer martial arts. When I was taking Tae Kwon Do it seemed like it helped me to focus. Journaling can be really productive. Military training (I would not recomend this approach right now) or some type of team adventure racing give the physically fit an edge.

Since we have a set amount of perception that can be held in awareness at any given time, it takes a certain amount of discipline to focus on those things that should matter the most in pursuing our current objectives. The hard part of maintaining an objective outlook is the disproportionate fixation on the self due to unresolved emotional pain or habit.

Maybe I am just getting in way too deep or blabbering on but I am convinced that this is what is going on with me. Maybe it will help you? I find it hard to believe that just manipulating a few chemicals in the brain is going to solve every problem (although Celexa has helped me tremendously). Depression affects the whole being; why only treat the brain?

I am glad you are feeling a little better Juan. I hope you can work through this "happy zombie" thing.

Closed Thread