It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Depression Message Board

• 3rd day on Lexapro - need some advice

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 07-31-2005, 01:33 PM   #1
    allisonash
    (female)

allisonash HB User
    3rd day on Lexapro - need some advice

hello,

i hope some of you out there will be able to share your thoughts with me - i would really appreciate any input.

i've been dealing with depression for a long time and for a while i had things under control - then this year my depression started getting worse and worse until this summer i was barely able to function - i still put off starting an SSRI because i didn't want to use drugs to solve my problems. i gave in to trying Lexapro three days ago after several days of crying and months of not being able to get my work done. by the way, i'm a medical student, and i'm studying for a very hard test this summer which i've put off taking several times due to my depression. anyway, i guess i was feeling desperate enough that i thought i'd give Lexapro a try.

that brings me to my concerns about being on an SSRI - i noticed a difference the very first day even though i only too 5 mg in the morning - i know that sounds impossible but i swear its not a placebo effect - i feel sort of cloudy and almost sick during the first half of the day but by the second half of the day i feel somewhat better - my sleep has markedly changed - instead of having trouble falling asleep at night i wake up at 5 am with a headache - is this withdrawl or what? also, my appetite is noticably decreased. anyway, i just feel strange now that I have this drug in my system - I'm wondering if I should keep taking it and go to 10 mg like my doc prescribed or if I should just stop before my sleep and mind get really screwed up. is it worth it? are these side effects that will disappear with time or will i continue to feel cloudy? what's the deal with sleep? I can't be waking up at 5 am everyday - i'm getting exhausted!

please help. thanks so much.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 07-31-2005, 08:39 PM   #2
    opiateskill000

opiateskill000 HB User
    Re: 3rd day on Lexapro - need some advice

Quote:
    Originally Posted by allisonash
    hello,

i hope some of you out there will be able to share your thoughts with me - i would really appreciate any input.

i've been dealing with depression for a long time and for a while i had things under control - then this year my depression started getting worse and worse until this summer i was barely able to function - i still put off starting an SSRI because i didn't want to use drugs to solve my problems. i gave in to trying Lexapro three days ago after several days of crying and months of not being able to get my work done. by the way, i'm a medical student, and i'm studying for a very hard test this summer which i've put off taking several times due to my depression. anyway, i guess i was feeling desperate enough that i thought i'd give Lexapro a try.

that brings me to my concerns about being on an SSRI - i noticed a difference the very first day even though i only too 5 mg in the morning - i know that sounds impossible but i swear its not a placebo effect - i feel sort of cloudy and almost sick during the first half of the day but by the second half of the day i feel somewhat better - my sleep has markedly changed - instead of having trouble falling asleep at night i wake up at 5 am with a headache - is this withdrawl or what? also, my appetite is noticably decreased. anyway, i just feel strange now that I have this drug in my system - I'm wondering if I should keep taking it and go to 10 mg like my doc prescribed or if I should just stop before my sleep and mind get really screwed up. is it worth it? are these side effects that will disappear with time or will i continue to feel cloudy? what's the deal with sleep? I can't be waking up at 5 am everyday - i'm getting exhausted!

please help. thanks so much.
    Sorry to hear about your struggle with depression. I just started Lexapro myself, but I'm taking an extremely low dose since I'm prone to side effects (2.5 mg). Waking up with a headache can't be withdrawal. Withdrawal is what happens when you abruptly stop or greatly reduce your intake of an addictive substance. The term "discontinuation syndrome" is used when you abruptly stop or greatly reduce intake of anti-depressants (non-addictive), and this can't happen from a one-time use. It sounds like side effects. I wouldn't increase the dose, but if you can cope with the side effects, try staying at 5 mg for another week or so. If things don't improve then tell your doctor. A lot of people have side effects while their brain is first adjusting to the chemicals, this doesn't mean they're permanent or that the medication isn't working. Good luck.

Old 08-01-2005, 07:43 AM   #3
    siriusvector
    (female)

siriusvector HB User

Adding any drug to your life will have some effect... I had similar experiences with Lex... I started with a lower dose...

I usually tell my friends to figure a few days off of work or school or whatever when they try a med or change meds... my experience has always been a few days of adjustment, then a leveling out... if you don't level out, tell your dr... get a sample of something else until you find one you are comfortable with.

Personally I have been on pretty much the whole gamit at one point or another and have chosen to live with my issues without the meds. I have friends who do well on meds.... everyone is different ... I'll cross my fingers for you... a doctor who has walked this road would really be an asset to the medical community and to your future patients.

Old 08-01-2005, 11:59 PM   #4
    allisonash
    (female)

allisonash HB User

I'll cross my fingers for you... a doctor who has walked this road would really be an asset to the medical community and to your future patients.

Thank you so much - this is very encouraging to hear - its really amazing to me how readily these drugs are given out when there are so many types of depression - i know these drugs help a lot of people - i was hoping they would work for me - but its not as easy as taking a med and finding a quick fix - i'm still deciding if i want to stay on Lexapro - but it seems like even with meds there is a lot more involved in really fighting and hopefully getting over depression. anyway, thanks for your thoughts. i guess the thought of going through life drugged bothers me - i can't decide if the benefits outweigh the cons.

Old 08-02-2005, 01:13 AM   #5
    sk777
    Veteran
    (female)

sk777 HB User

I have had immediate side effects from Prozac, Paxil and Zoloft. For example, the first few days I took Prozac, it was like (I would imagine) being on speed. I've been on Celexa but switched from Zoloft so I didn't have side effects. For me, except for the Paxil, the side effects went away fairly quickly. A week at the most. There are longer term side effects but I've always found them manageable.

I agree w/ the poster who said see your doc if they don't go away. With Paxil, they had me on it a month to see if the side effect went away.

I can relate to your not wanting to do it with drugs. I was so resistant for so long about taking an antidepressant, and I too finally "gave in" to Prozac. But I have to say, the results are subtly dramatic. I know that sounds like an oxymoron, but it's true, you find one day (after a month or so, I'm sure you know this) that you feel much more normal, still you, but more normal. For me, that meant an end to the hopelessness and weepyness, a increase in concentration and a greater ability to interact socially. I'm glad I finally "gave in", it has meant a much better quality of life. Hang in there, I hope the side effects go away for you.

Closed Thread