It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Depression Message Board

• Lexapro Isn't Working - What's Next???

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 08-03-2005, 04:43 AM   #1
    Star Heart
    (female)

Star Heart HB User
    Lexapro Isn't Working - What's Next???

Okay so my 20 mg dose of Lexapro isn't working the way it should...

I'm told there are lots of other anti depressants out there and it will just take some time finding the one that's right for me...

Anyone ever been through this before? Any hints as to what may be next on the list?

I'm sort of frightened. There's all sorts of horror stories about people having to switch medications and getting "snowed"

I want so badly to feel better... please give me your thoughts. Thanks

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 08-03-2005, 05:08 AM   #2
    siriusvector
    (female)

siriusvector HB User
    Re: Lexapro Isn't Working - What's Next???

This happens to many people, how long have you been on Lex? it often takes up to 6 weeks for something to really work. Some people go through several SSDI's to find the magic bullet... some never find one (I am one of the latter) ... it is really important to have a doc that really listens to you... it is really important to be totally honest and precise with your doc about your experiences with various meds... if your doc does not listen to you, fire that doc and get one that will listen. I have friends who do well on effexor and another on prozac... if that is any help

Old 08-03-2005, 08:07 AM   #3
    RainSerpent
    Veteran
    (male)

RainSerpent HB User

I would give the Lexapro time to work, but if it doesn't I would switch immediately. Like Gwen Stephani sings: "It's my life- don't you forget!". I have no clue why that popped into my head; I don't even particularly like this artist.

Celexa has worked well for me but Lexapro is supposed to be better so I would not try these if one did not work for you.

Old 08-03-2005, 02:30 PM   #4
    Star Heart
    (female)

Star Heart HB User

Lol - I happen to like that artist but not that song!

Thank you both for your input. I have been on Lexapro now since the end of May - I had been doing really really well, and now suddenly it just doesn't seem to be doing it's thing. Frustrating!

Old 08-03-2005, 06:51 PM   #5
    PattiChati
    (female)

PattiChati HB User

I am taking 40 of Lexapro. I think it is doing good for my depression finally, but I also suffer from severe anxiety disorder, so the two really get mixed up. Try asking your doc about raising the dosage. Mine says 40 isn't that out of range.

Old 08-03-2005, 10:06 PM   #6
    EoR
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

EoR HB User

I tried Lex and it didn't work out. I haven't tried much since. I'm going to give Amoryn (natural remedy) a shot, though, I think.

And..... That song is a remake (grrrrr), originally done by "Talk Talk." I love the song, and I hate that so many good 80's songs are being redone by squeaky chicks (no offense to fans--just a personal observation)... And then, of course, modern society gives these gals a big pat on the back for their "originality," and credits them for songs that belonged to another generation. Bah. Sorry for the little rant. Just a small peeve.

Hope you find something that works for you. If I do purchase the Amoryn and start using it, I'll let you know how it works out. I'm guessing your doctor might put you on Paxil next, as it's similar to the Lex. Or, you may want to ask about upping the dose, since it worked so well, initially.

Best of luck,

EoR

Old 08-04-2005, 06:24 AM   #7
    Star Heart
    (female)

Star Heart HB User

Thanks EoR - Please do let me know about the Amoryn, I'm up for anything at this point. My doctors here are leary about going over 20 mgs of Lexapro, I got the impression 20 was the max dose???

As to Paxil - That's what I started with initially and the same thing happened. Worked great for six to seven weeks then suddenly petered out....Maybe I'm one of those types of people who medication doesn't help?? Ugh. I hope not!

Closed Thread