It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Depression Message Board

• Lexapro FREE for a month/question about weight changing

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 08-05-2005, 04:09 PM   #1
    Teacher_Lady
    (female)

Teacher_Lady HB User
    Post without lexapro for a month/question about weight changing

Ok I have successfully survived 4 weeks w/o Lexapro.

When I started taking the medicine, I almost immediately or after a few months saw rapid weight gain. Like 50 lbs in the past 3+yrs I have taken it. My eating habits and physical activity aren't bad like they use to be. I have matured in that aspect. I also just got my gallbladder removed 3 months ago. I am wondering if the this depressing state of weight gain will drop off me now that I am without Lexapro and a gallbladder. The weight gain is now the only thing that depresses me so badly. I really truly hope that the weight will melt off now. It isn't fair that I went from a size 11 to 18 within a year or so. I don't want to have to go back on Lexapro for fear I will continue to blow up plus I want to learn to handle my emotions more independently. Ok enought rambling, i need some expert advice and knowledge. Thanks. *crosses fingers for the best*

Last edited by Teacher_Lady; 08-07-2005 at 10:07 AM. Reason: some people misread having lexapro FREE for a month, thinking a promotion

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 08-07-2005, 07:10 AM   #2
    siriusvector
    (female)

siriusvector HB User
    Re: Lexapro FREE for a month/question about weight changing

I went from an 11/12 to 18 and even bigger! I went off of my meds and lost some weight here and there and just recently have been getting lots of comments about my weight .... one year after going off of the meds (lexapro was the last one I was on) ... the gall bladder issue of course effects the overall process. I wish you luck

Old 08-07-2005, 09:51 AM   #3
    Teacher_Lady
    (female)

Teacher_Lady HB User

thanks! i hope some others will tell me there experience and expertise

Old 08-07-2005, 11:31 AM   #4
    seekalot
    Inactive

seekalot HB User

Hi Teacher Lady

(I teach too, as a volunteer helping people learn English -- which by the way is a helpful and rewarding spare time activity if anyone is looking for one -- but back to the subject at hand

This may not apply to your situation, but here's mine for what it's worth --

For years I blamed ADs (Zoloft for a long time, others, including Effexor) for a huge weight gain while on them (40-50 lbs.). I finally got so angry and disgusted about being fat that I went off the AD of my own choice -- at which point I began gaining even MORE!! Plus I then became so depressed my personal life and relationships quickly went southward in a handbasket

In total desperation I VERY grudgingly went back to Effexor -- but this time ALSO made some real changes in my circumstances, including a geographic move to a new job and away from a troubled relationship.

Well, this time on Effexor I did NOT gain weight. In fact, at first I was able to control my eating better (still didn't do a whole lot of exercise, though my new job required a little walking) and actually LOST maybe 20 pounds.

Unfortunately I was not able to keep my self-control. I think because of my very strong habit of turning to food for comfort. So now my appetite fluctuates, gets out of hand again, then I get it under control -- and my weight seems to go up and down accordingly. (Note, these changes are while I am STILL on Effexor.) Currently I'm in Weight Watchers (still on Effexor) and find my biggest challenge to weight loss is not the AD but my need to overeat for comfort.

My conclusion, for what it's worth --

at least in my case, I think ADs can be a scapegoat I had to be careful not to over-blame if I wanted to have real success in dealing with the real causes of weight gain. Or, put another way, yes, I gained a lot of weight on ADs --

WHILE I ALSO was getting older (40s and early 50s) so my metabolism was slowing down anyway ,

and WHILE I was reaping the lovely "added girth" building up from years of sedentary work and decreasing exercise levels...

I say this also because, looking back in all honesty, for years WITHOUT ADs I know I overused food for cheap and available comfort. But because I was younger, more active, probably faster metabolism, it didn't cause the same weight gain.

Bottom line, from my experience, I think Effexor and others may affect metabolism and/or appetite a little but are probably not the cause or major problem in weight gain. After all, most of the prosperous Western world is getting fatter, and they aren't all on ADs. So I wouldn't be afraid of going back on one of them if you decide it's best in the future.

Here's hoping we can both get down to healthy and undepressing weights...

Last edited by seekalot; 08-07-2005 at 11:33 AM.

Old 08-07-2005, 03:40 PM   #5
    Teacher_Lady
    (female)

Teacher_Lady HB User

Quote:
    Originally Posted by seekalot
    Hi Teacher Lady

(I teach too, as a volunteer helping people learn English -- which by the way is a helpful and rewarding spare time activity if anyone is looking for one -- but back to the subject at hand

This may not apply to your situation, but here's mine for what it's worth --

For years I blamed ADs (Zoloft for a long time, others, including Effexor) for a huge weight gain while on them (40-50 lbs.). I finally got so angry and disgusted about being fat that I went off the AD of my own choice -- at which point I began gaining even MORE!! Plus I then became so depressed my personal life and relationships quickly went southward in a handbasket

In total desperation I VERY grudgingly went back to Effexor -- but this time ALSO made some real changes in my circumstances, including a geographic move to a new job and away from a troubled relationship.

Well, this time on Effexor I did NOT gain weight. In fact, at first I was able to control my eating better (still didn't do a whole lot of exercise, though my new job required a little walking) and actually LOST maybe 20 pounds.

Unfortunately I was not able to keep my self-control. I think because of my very strong habit of turning to food for comfort. So now my appetite fluctuates, gets out of hand again, then I get it under control -- and my weight seems to go up and down accordingly. (Note, these changes are while I am STILL on Effexor.) Currently I'm in Weight Watchers (still on Effexor) and find my biggest challenge to weight loss is not the AD but my need to overeat for comfort.

My conclusion, for what it's worth --

at least in my case, I think ADs can be a scapegoat I had to be careful not to over-blame if I wanted to have real success in dealing with the real causes of weight gain. Or, put another way, yes, I gained a lot of weight on ADs --

WHILE I ALSO was getting older (40s and early 50s) so my metabolism was slowing down anyway ,

and WHILE I was reaping the lovely "added girth" building up from years of sedentary work and decreasing exercise levels...

I say this also because, looking back in all honesty, for years WITHOUT ADs I know I overused food for cheap and available comfort. But because I was younger, more active, probably faster metabolism, it didn't cause the same weight gain.

Bottom line, from my experience, I think Effexor and others may affect metabolism and/or appetite a little but are probably not the cause or major problem in weight gain. After all, most of the prosperous Western world is getting fatter, and they aren't all on ADs. So I wouldn't be afraid of going back on one of them if you decide it's best in the future.

Here's hoping we can both get down to healthy and undepressing weights...
    thanks so much! yeh, i actually ate less or better when i was on my medicine. before i did eat too much for comfort. i am doing well with not eating more off of it. i am gonna start running/walking, too. i have been getting compliments of weight loss....i hope ppl aren't just saying because ya know. well thanks for the info and encouragement. i hope you have a great new school year!

Old 08-07-2005, 04:09 PM   #6
    salty
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

salty HB Usersalty HB User
    Re: without lexapro for a month/question about weight changing

Gained 50 lbs on Lexapro, too.

Salty

Old 08-10-2005, 05:27 PM   #7
    Teacher_Lady
    (female)

Teacher_Lady HB User

Ok it's given it made me gain weight. How hard is it gonna be to lose it??? Will I have that loose excess skin?

Old 08-10-2005, 05:54 PM   #8
    Soulcatcher
    Inactive

Soulcatcher HB User

On medicine or off of medicine it really does come down to your self control. IF you ARE eating healthy and exercising at least three times a week for at least a half hour then there is no reason for that much weight gain. When you reach your thirties your metabolism slows down so it's our job to train it to get back higher and the only way is eating healthy and exercise. Any AD slows your metabolism to lessen anxiety so of course your going to put on weight if you don't exercise. Getting off of AD can go either way...will you be full of anxiety and eat to calm yourself? Will you be full of anxiety and go for a brisk 20 minute walk? So it's really up to us. I know I gained weight and I could blame it on having three children in two years, having twins is a very good excuse but I know it was really eating junk and not getting out to exercise. I joined a gym and went for eight months and dropped 15 pounds could have lost more but I lack self disapline when it comes to food. Now that my children are in school I know I have to get back into the gym because it's way too easy to sit on my couch in peace and quiet. lol I am on my Lexapro and I am going to be off again soon. SO I wish you the best and if you want to start up a diet and nutrition topic we can get something going and share exercising tips. You just never know.. Good luck and God be with us all when we eat what we eat. hehehehe

Old 08-11-2005, 05:31 AM   #9
    siriusvector
    (female)

siriusvector HB User

Some people on AD's experience very common side effects of dizziness and/or flucuations in blood pressure. Not the safest state to excercize in! It isn't always a matter of self control and joining a gym. Many people also have other side effects from meds - often making it hard to spend any amount of energy, or thought on food prep, often just eating something quick and easy, which of course is often something low in nutrition full of simple carbs leaving folks hungry in a short time regardless of the excess calories from the fast food fix they just consumed. I think that the medical profession really needs to be more honest about this issue with AD's, it is really multi-layered. Honestly, anyone going on AD's should prepare to have low fat, complex carb satisfying foods handy (even if that means help from someone else) to help out with the food end of stuff (but I've never had a professional ever warn me) . Of course I didn't even touch on the downward emotional spiral of doing the right things and still gaining weight. Off my soap box

Old 08-11-2005, 05:47 AM   #10
    siriusvector
    (female)

siriusvector HB User

Oh, yeah.... I was one that gained weight. I am normally very active and was once a nuitrition counselor. I tried to eat right, but did fall into the microwavable food pit. Even the "sensible", "diet" meals are still full of sodium and not the best source of nutrition. Bottom line, I have yet to meet anyone that is on AD's and did not gain weight. Even my friends that didn't have side effect issues. I have gone off of the meds. I lost some weight almost immediately (gained a total of 50 lbs) around 10lbs, got excited but didn't see any significant weight loss for a long time. I was able to get more active (side effects kept me pretty much "still"), and saw little effect. Then suddenly out of the blue right around my 1 year anniversary of going off of the meds, I am shedding weight in a very noticible way! People who see me once every week or less are asking me what kind of diet I am on, they want my secret... I just tell them I went off my meds! I was on meds off and on for about 6 years and one year after going off am feeling sloppy in my old clothes and looking forward to getting some smaller clothes. I don't have any noticeable loose skin. So it can come off, even after long term use of the AD's. I wish you luck

Old 08-12-2005, 04:00 PM   #11
    salty
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

salty HB Usersalty HB User

Teacher_Lady, you could always try Wellbutrin. It isn't supposed to have the same side effects as Lexapro---everyone's different), but it made it easier for me.

I didn't crave like I did on Lexapro. It's just a suggestion. Good luck. Exercise is definitely the key.

Salty

Old 08-13-2005, 09:41 AM   #12
    Teacher_Lady
    (female)

Teacher_Lady HB User

Quote:
    Originally Posted by salty
    Teacher_Lady, you could always try Wellbutrin. It isn't supposed to have the same side effects as Lexapro---everyone's different), but it made it easier for me.

I didn't crave like I did on Lexapro. It's just a suggestion. Good luck. Exercise is definitely the key.

Salty
    well actually the last 6 months i changed to wellbutrin.

Closed Thread