It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Depression Message Board

• Long-Term Panic Attack

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 08-10-2005, 07:30 PM   #1
    pal7778
    Veteran
    (male)

pal7778 HB User
    Long-Term Panic Attack

For about the last 6 weeks, I've had the constant deep feeling of anxiety combining fear and guilt: Fear of dying, getting audited by the ISI, getting slammed for my writing, my wife leaving me, being unable to speak in public etc. I've been unable to do my work or even engage in normal conversations (I'm so panic-filled and sel-obsessed I can barely listen.) I had actually talked myself into the fact that my kidneys were failing because I was an undiagnosed diabetic.(It turns out, of course, that I'm not any kind of diabetic and my kidneys, you won't be surprised, checked out fine.) I can't sleep except fitfully and spend lots of time alone staring. I can't read or even open the newspaper, and my job is all about reading All this is nothing like I've been my whole life.

After ending up the ER twice with panic induced blood pressure spikes -- 190 systolic (usual --125 on medication) and a pulse of 110 (usual--68), I finally went to my regular doctor. At the ER I got Xanax, which certainly calmed me down for a while and returned me to normal BP; I had my only decent day's work in a month on Xanax. My doctor, probably rightly, won't prescribe it, but gave Lexapro--which actually made me feel more jumpy by far yesterday, the first day I've taken it. So I've convinced him that I use low-dose Xanax for a few days until the Lexapro kicks it.

All this is potentially career and life threatening ( stroke level bp) to me, I'm 54 and in pretty good health except for very high bp with our medication.

I haven't read too many posts on this board, but there must be some of you with similar expenses. Will this blow over? Should I go to a real psychiatrist?
    Does this point to some physical problem? (I know of no actually traumas etc. which have triggered out.)

I'll be very grateful for any and all help.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 08-10-2005, 07:54 PM   #2
    woodfaery
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

woodfaery HB User
    Re: Long-Term Panic Attack

For one thing, I am so sorry you are going through such a difficult time right now in your life. And, the good news (although its not always consoling to us depression/anxiety sufferers.) is that you are not alone in this type of suffering.
    High levels of stress can do this, you bet. Dont be afraid to make an apointment and talk to your family doctor one on one about what you have been feeling. Yes, its normal to feel worse on Lexapro the first few weeks--I can tell you that I felt worse before I felt better. I do take Lexapro daily for anxiety/depression and its been working well. I do not panic nearly at all and I am not filled with fear all the time like I was. As well, Lexapro (something to consider just briefly) can be too stimulating for people even after a few weeks. You may wish to consider talking to your doctor about Celexa. They are very simular except Lexapro has the main isomer of Celexa in it. Still, a male friend of mine is on Celexa and he is very pleased. He suffered from anxiety (severe panic attacks) and constant worry...he now feels much relief and feels like he can finally function again. Another consideration is to talk to a therapist to discuss all these worries that you are having. Sometimes just talking it through helps and also looking at a plan on how to break down all these worries productively helps to share and work with through a therapist you feel comfortable with.
    There is also an Anxiety board on Healthboards, you may like to check it out. I go there too and its nice to know, really know your not alone in this stuff.
    Yes anxiety and panic attacks, and depression can get better but it does take some sincere effort and work. You can get there.
    Your in my prayers. Please keep in touch on these boards, theres a lot of us here that care and do understand.
    WF

Closed Thread