It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Depression Message Board

• Stopping Lexapro and Starting Wellbutrin XL

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 08-26-2005, 11:58 AM   #16
    kinsey61
    (female)

kinsey61 HB User
    Re: Stopping Lexapro and Starting Wellbutrin XL

Jackie, thanks for asking, I seem to be doing okay, nothing that noticable that I can pin it on the wellbutrin. Remember though, The Dr. didn't lower any of my other AD's ( I'm on 2 others) because we tried that originally and I definitely felt the effects. Now the plan is to lower AFTER the wellbutrin kicks in, and I don't see him for 4 weeks. (That lets you know what he thinks of it's quickness.) He doesn't seem to be too concerned about me being on the other drugs for now, although lowering them is the ultimate goal. He seems to understand that I simply can't stand to be too crazy during these transition periods.

Speaking of which,I wanted to ask you all, are you dealing with a physican or a psychiatrist for these drugs? ( I know Jackie you said your gyn prescribed yours, right?) What you said about us knowing more about these drugs than the doctors struck a chord. I went to a psychiatrist once for kind of a med change, but I didn't care for him, and my regular physicians are both comfortable dealing with it, so they handle all of my meds. ( I have some medical problems too, most of us do!) I am fortunate that they have known me a long time, know ALL of me, and I really feel they work with me and hear what I tell them I'm feeling. The right MD seems to make all the difference. I think a doctor that tells you are not having side effects or withdrawl when you're sick for 2 1/2 weeks for no other reason is an ***. I have always had the feeling my docs have had some experience with this stuff, either in their family or perhaps themselves, because they sometimes say things like " well the pamphlet will tell you this, but...", kind of off the record you know? And again, most important they listen to me ( and hear me).
    Take care all-
    Kinsey

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 08-26-2005, 01:32 PM   #17
    littlejmb
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

littlejmb HB Userlittlejmb HB User

Kinsey, time will tell if i can do without the Lexapro. I started to go down to 2.5 mg today, but chickened out and will do that tomorrow. I have added 5 HTP which also produces Seratonin, so hopefully it will make the transition easier!

What all AD's are you on?

Jackie

Old 08-26-2005, 02:45 PM   #18
    pslam 91
    Veteran

pslam 91 HB User

Hi! I am so glad to run into this post. I was on Paxil and loved it! I felt so great! Immediatly! Gained 10lbs and libido problems, same story as everyone. Switched to Wellbutrin. Almost a month and I feel like crap! I am being patient in hopes that is will kick in. I have the dry mouth, sweaty hands and feet, libido is SLOOOOOWly coming. And Anxiety and worse depression. I saw my dr at 3 weeks and we decided to stick it out to 6 weeks. She said it will take that long. See her in Sept. Is it Paxil withdrawls? or the Wellbutrin? A part of me thinks I can tough this out and another part thinks this is crap!

Old 08-26-2005, 07:37 PM   #19
    kinsey61
    (female)

kinsey61 HB User

Jackie,
    I am on Cymbalta 60 mg, and zoloft, 150 mgs. Don't get me wrong, my Doc told me this is A LOT of medication to be on, which is why we are going to start to recduce or eliminate the other meds as soon as I'm stable on the wellbutrin. I had kind of a meltdown in January ( that is what I blame partially on the effexor) so we are (at my request ) trying very hard to keep my head straight while finding the right "recipe"

I also am guessing that I'm a little older than you, and the Docs don't like to put [ well, anyone, but especially ] younger people on too many of these AD"s, becasue they don't work quite as well after awhile so you need a stronger dose, and so on and so on......

Jackie, ( removed ) I can give you the whole story, but it is kind of a little bit "different" case than some, I think. I don't want you to feel your Doctor is wrong not wanting to keep you on the Lexapro, I mean the less meds the better right? I just don't think the doctors realize what we go through when we stop the AD's, and that it needs to be done more slowly than they think.

Just wanted to answer your question , and let you know I was a little nervous today ( I think ) from the wellbutrin. It went away though, so lets still keep our fingers crossed for all of us!
    -Kinsey

Last edited by moderator2; 08-27-2005 at 05:46 AM. Reason: please read and follow the posting rules

Old 08-27-2005, 06:20 AM   #20
    littlejmb
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

Kinsey, I might be older than YOU, lol. I am 51 and going thru menopause, and the cause of my anxiety and depression. I never ever thought I would be on nor wanted to be on an AD, but I finally realized that I could not though this out on my own, so in March I went to my GYN and told him I had to either have hormones or an AD and didn't know which. He wanted me to try Lexapro first because he knew I really didn't want to take the hormone route. The day after I started it, I felt great. But, then came the weight gain and sexual problems. I tried many different remedies to counteract the sexual part, put nothing helped. My libedo was fine, and sensation was great during sex, but the inability to climax drove my husband and I crazy. So - I ultimately wanted to add the Wellbutrin to the Lex, but like I said, my GYN doesn't do dual therapy. I wish he did, I would be very happy with that combo. If I am not able to do without the Lex, I may have to go to another doctor for the AD's. I just didn't want to have to go to a psych becuase it will cost alot more.

I felt kind of nervous and emotional yesterday too. It seems have one really good day, and then the next isn't as good. Do you find that too? I hope you are able to go down and maybe eliminate some of the other AD's. That is alot to be on!

Maybe today will be the good day for both of us! Good luck to us both

Old 08-27-2005, 06:28 AM   #21
    littlejmb
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

Psalm 91,

I believe I have spoken to you on the menopause boards, a few months ago. I remember your unique name (which I love, by the way).

Ok, are you off the Paxil altogether? Or are you tapering off? My GYN told me to just stop the Lexapro and start the Wellbutrin. I had already tapered down to 5mg of Lex the week before, so I thought, ok I should be ok, and was for about a week. Then BAM - I started feeling awful, like you. I thought something was really bad wrong with me, or that it was the Wellbutrin. I searched on the boards for Lexpro withdrawal and found that was what I was going through. So, I added back the 5mg and in an hour, I felt much better. I have heard of the Paxil flu too, so I know that is the same for Paxil. I have taken the 5mg all week, so today I am going to go down to 2.5 for a week, and then none. I hope that this time, I will be ok on just the Wellbutrin, but if I am not, I will have to take a small dose with it.

I am glad you said it takes 6 weeks for the Wellbutrin to work, that gives me hope. I have some really good days, and then some depressed and anxious days - like you.

Please continue to post here so we can keep up with each other's progress, ok? Like Kinsey said, we can learn alot from each other's progress.

Take care

Jackie

Old 08-27-2005, 12:55 PM   #22
    kinsey61
    (female)

kinsey61 HB User

Jackie,
    Yes, you win [ if you could put it that way] I'm 44, but I am already also "peri-menopausal" ( the Dr's way of saying that menopause sometimes takes 12 years to get through ! ) too. Our stories are kind of similar, in that we both went on wellbutrin for the same EXACT reason. (according to your post ) And yes, I may go a few days just fine, then totally emotional /nervous/anxious the next.

Yes, I am convinced that menopause is a big part of the problem, but with these symptoms starting so early, my gyn did say it could take years to get through. [Everyone's different, hopefully you will be luckier thatn that!]Yes, 2 years or so ago, I was cruising happily along on quite a low dose of ONLY zoloft when all of a sudden I seemed to have no grip on my emotions again. We upped the zoloft, my gyn and GP tested my hormones and said they were fine, so a hormone patch wasn't really considered at that time. Then some bad life events had me upping the zoloft again, then going on the effexor, off the zoloft, finding effexor bad, weaning off the effexor (too quickly I now know), back on the zoloft, then having a kind of breakdown, then add cymbalta. This seemed to get things on the right road, I was cutting down on zoloft and feeling pretty steady. THEN the same exact thing you [Jackie ] described with my own husband, THEN add the Wellbutrin. I recently saw my gyn and am awaiting bloodwork and some test results, she said she may put me on a low dose hormone patch. I am not opposed to this if it would help, and especially if it helps me cut down some of these ADs. Would you mind sharing why you didn't want, or decided against the patch with your Doctor?

Also, I have been thinking, If it's so well known that these ADs have these [ life altering ] sexual side effects ( I mean what could depress you more?) why don't more doctors just prescribe wellbutrin in the first place? I am going to ask my Doctor when I see him, but if anyone knows of a rational reason I'd love to hear it. I've tried kind of looking at things on the computer, but I'm not very techno-savvy, and of course the drug company sites are no help.

So far a good day, I hope the same for all of you too!-
    -Kinsey

PS [to Jackie] I don't think I would go to a psychiatrist about the meds. Do you have a family Dr.? Or maybe just go to a GP, most of them will handle this stuff ( I think )
    I really didn't like this psychiatrist I saw, they only handle the meds, and I think they just tend to give you the latest and newest drug. In my case it was the Cymbalta, but as a stroke of luck it worked very well ( My GP said that it's odd because it's basically the same as effexor. Lets face it, we are just guinea pigs for these Doctors.) Of course the best would be to try to do without the lexapro, you don't want to end up like me, I'm figuring a year to be able to wean of some of this slowly enough and get it all right.

Old 08-27-2005, 03:01 PM   #23
    littlejmb
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

Kinsey, you are definitely not too young to be going through perimenopause. I was 46 when I started down that road, but didn't really have the depression and anxiety bad until last year. I have a thread on the menopause board called "How are you coping" and there are two other ladies on there that are your age and going through the same thing. There are a few ladies on there that have had a horrible time, even to the point of wanting to commit suicide because the doctors could not find anything wrong with them - only to find out that it was peri. One of these cannot take AD's so she is going the acupuncture route.

I didn't want on hormones because of the risks involved and they are hard to get just the right mix. I didn't want to gain weight either, and SSRI's are just as bad about that too. I think the doctors prescribe the SSRI's first because they work on your Seratonin levels (which depelte the other brain chemicals dopamine and norepinephrine, which are the brain chemicals that are responsible for sexual pleasure, etc. Why the drug companies don't make a pill that has both - I do not know. They would have a winner! But - they don't, so they prescribe the Wellbutrin to counteract the SSRI's sexual side affects. I may have to stay on some Lex along with the Wellbutrin, and if that is the case, when I run out of the Lexapro (which will be a very long time) I'll go to an internal medicine doc. Surely he will do that.

Today I have been a little more nervous and edgy. I just took 2.5mg Of Lex which I will try for a week. I hope you are able to cut at least one of the AD's out so you won't be taking as much. We'll hang on in this togehter!!

Jackie

Old 08-27-2005, 04:16 PM   #24
    kinsey61
    (female)

kinsey61 HB User

Jackie,
    Hey thanks for answering. I am a little worse too as the day goes on, but I think it may be from reading these boards! Perhaps a little too much time spent that's all. My husband is working and i'ts raining, ( at least here in Pittsburgh.)

Anyway, it kind of hit me today, after telling you my doc told me cymbalta was so similar to effexor, ( and from reading the boards!) that maybe my little breakdown was really effexor withdrawl.The dates sure match up, and maybe the cymbalta just made me feel better because it put the same drugs back in my system. This makes me think then that cymbalta is the drug to get rid of, and I could stay on the low dose wellbutrin and and still take the zoloft [Which, at first, helped me greatly, and I never noticed any bad side effects from it] I know a few people who took this combo and did very well with it.

Anyway, I wondered if you, as a veteran of this board, remember anyone posting much about cymbalta withdrawl. I did search the board and found some helpful info, but if you remember or know anything I'd like to hear it. For that matter just your opinion of my plan would be appreciated!

I am going to call my Doctor Wed. and talk to him. As cymbalta and wellbutrin apparently hit some of the same brain receptors, it seems logical to start to cut the cymbalta now, a little even BEFORE the wellbutrin kicks in full power. My problems are mostly with anxiety, and I don't want my head to explode or something in 3 weeeks! (Joke) Also, I pretty much talk like i write here ( long and windy ) so anything that will wind me up more will have my friends and family running for cover! Seriously though, this cymbalta is new, and the few threads I found mentioned it's similarities to effexor, so I would like to get off of it- only someone who takes ADs could understand this- as quickly but as slowly as possible. Make sense?

Hope you feel a little better and remember-everything we found out [wellbutrin] said long wait and kinda bad at first. Hang in there!
    -Kinsey

Old 08-27-2005, 04:49 PM   #25
    littlejmb
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

Kinsey,

I really don't much anything about Cymbalta, but from something I read I got the idea that it hit seratonin and the norephephrine receptors, which sounds like the perfect drug.... but obviously it isn't. I would think the withdrawal from Cymbalta would be much the same as Effexor or any AD. I think the only time you have a somewhat easier time of it is when you switch from one SSRI to another SSRI. It is harder when you switch from an SSRI to Wellbutrin because they are totally different.

It seems like I did see a thread on the boards about Cymbalta withdrawl. I didn't read it though because I don't take that. Why don't you type in "Cymbalta withdrawal" on the depression or anxiety boards and search for the threads that mention that. I will try that myself and tell you what I come up with.

IMO, if Zoloft worked well for you in the past, I would stick with that one and cut out the Cymbalta. You are right - it is new and there's not as much info out there about it. I know that it is supposed to be good for people that have pain.

Do talk to your doctor first before doing anything though.

I will check for you later

Old 08-27-2005, 05:49 PM   #26
    kinsey61
    (female)

kinsey61 HB User

No no no, please don't search on my account. I did exactly what you said to search the board, there just wasn't a lot of info. Probably because it is new. I think I'm going to do a major computer search on the detals of all three drugs before I talk to the doc Wed. See, Cymbalta WAS chosen for chronic pain, so I will have to weigh that factor also. Thanks for your help, but like I said, my Doc is usually well informed, and pretty honest. Trust me, I'm not going to do anything before I talk to him.
    Thanks for your support-
    Kinsey

Old 08-27-2005, 07:08 PM   #27
    littlejmb
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

Kinsey,
    Too, late, I did a quick search and found that withdrawal from that is just as bad as the others. Looks like what I have read about any of them, the key is to very slowly taper off them, and my GYN is clueless on such things. But, I have an appt with him Thursday, so I am going to inform him the danger of doing that. The second week I was having brain zaps and the horrible fatigue and emotional problems. And I had been on 5mg (half dose) for a week then!

Yes, you are smart to consult your doc before deciding which route to take. But I am like you, you should be able to get off one of them.

Take care, and have a good night -
    Jackie

Old 08-27-2005, 07:18 PM   #28
    golfguy49
    (male)

golfguy49 HB User

I was on 10 mg Lex for a about 3 months for general anxiety. Couldn't handle the sexual side effects (34 year-old male), so my doctor reduced it to 5 mg per day. Been going that way for 4 months, and I still have the benefits, but the sexual side effects are gone. I think this works great for me thus far.

Old 08-27-2005, 07:20 PM   #29
    littlejmb
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

That's great Golfguy, but I tried that and I didn't feel as well on the 5mg. I could feel the depression and axiety coming to the surface. That's great that you can get by with just 5mg. I say the less you can take, the better!

Old 08-27-2005, 09:30 PM   #30
    studyin
    Senior Veteran
    (male)

studyin HB Userstudyin HB Userstudyin HB Userstudyin HB Userstudyin HB User

Hi Jackie,

I took your advice and bumped up the Cipramil from 10 to 12.5 mg. I noticed an immediate improvement. The flu-like symptoms were gone the next day and today my neck pain/inflammation is gone too (after 3 weeks of it). So how the hell are we supposed to get off this stuff I wonder without feeling ill for ages? I guess I'll have to try again when I don't have to be sat at a PC all day. I'm also finding the sexual side-effects too much to handle as well. I'm not even really interested in sex at the moment. It's just become this physical act and seems like there's no purpose to it so can't be bothered - ridiculous I know but this stuff turns me into a machine. A double-edged sword these SSRIs are!

Best - Scott

Closed Thread