It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Depression Message Board

• Stopping Lexapro and Starting Wellbutrin XL

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 08-28-2005, 06:23 AM   #31
    littlejmb
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

littlejmb HB Userlittlejmb HB User
    Re: Stopping Lexapro and Starting Wellbutrin XL

Scott, glad you are feeling better at the 12.5 dose. Sometimes you have to do that just to get better to cope with what is going on at the time. I am not sure what your ultimate goal is though, is it that you are trying to get off this drug and be AD free? If that is the case, then you are going to definitely have a harder time because you are not replacing it with another drug to help on these receptors in your brain.

Are you on this only for the ear problem? Or is for anxiety and depression? The sexual side affects do suck, which is why I am changing meds. My husband is on Prozac which is working wonderfully for his depression, but he's not interested in sex in the least and has ejaculatory problems also. He is like you, mostly going thru the motions just for me. Yes - SSRI's are a double edged sword for sure!

Let me know what your ultimate goal is and maybe I can tell you some things to help thru this transition to make it easier.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 08-28-2005, 07:12 AM   #32
    studyin
    Senior Veteran
    (male)

studyin HB Userstudyin HB Userstudyin HB Userstudyin HB Userstudyin HB User

Hi Jackie,

I originally took the SSRI to kill the immense anxiety that came with the labyrinthitis. SSRIs are also known to kill the dizziness created by these illnesses directly. For me it worked a treat and I have nearly totally recovered after a 2 year trip to hell and back. So my goal is to be off the meds totally. I never have suffered depression (or anxiety) until I got sick. Now that it's sorted this is the last hurdle. I'm wondering if I should swap over to Prozac. Prozac has a longer half-life and is apparently easier to get off of....not sure.

Good to hear I'm not alone on the sexual side-effect front and that it is definitely the meds.

Hope you're feeling well today with the Wellbutrin transition.

Best...Scott

Old 08-28-2005, 08:03 AM   #33
    littlejmb
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

Scott,

I hear that Prozac is easier to get off of also. I had read that sometimes they prescribe it to help people get off the other AD's. Maybe you should talk to your doctor about trying that.

As far as the sexual side affects - believe me we ALL are in the same boat! It's not you, be assured of that.

I went down to 2.5 mg of my Lex yesterday and I will do that for a week, and then - see if I can get off it completely. I hope so! I am feeling good today, so far.

Jackie

Old 08-28-2005, 11:13 AM   #34
    kinsey61
    (female)

kinsey61 HB User

I don't mean to sound stupid, but I keep seeing this as a side effect. What exactly are "head zaps " ?????

Old 08-28-2005, 12:08 PM   #35
    littlejmb
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

Kinsey, don't feel stupid, as I couldn't imagine what the brain zaps were either until I had them! I realized that it was getting off the Lexapro that did it, and not the Wellbutrin. It feels like a current going through your brain. It doesn't hurt, but it is very annoying.

I am having a good day today, hope you are too!

Jackie

Old 08-28-2005, 01:11 PM   #36
    kinsey61
    (female)

kinsey61 HB User

Thanks Jackie, don't think I've had that, another blessing counted! Today is strange, not bad, just odd. I think I've just been thinking too much about these med changes. I'll feel better after I talk to the Doc.
    By the way, I did want to ask ( if you don't mind ) HAS the wellbutrin helped the sexual side effects yet? I also forget what week you're on and the mg's.
    Glad you are having a good day, rememeber that more are comin'! -
    -Kinsey

Old 08-28-2005, 01:26 PM   #37
    littlejmb
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

Kinsey, I don't mind you asking at all, for that's the reason we switched to Wellbutrin, right? I think I have only been on 2 1/2 weeks and just upped to 300mg earlier this week. I can't tell that my sex drive has picked up, and we havn't had sex yet, but are supposed to tonight, so I will be sure to let you know! You know, when I was depressed, sex was great - it was the only thing that was good! Now that I feel good, sex is not good. Geez - but hoping for a good outcome!

Yes - hopefully we have alot more good days coming!

Jackie

Old 08-28-2005, 06:37 PM   #38
    littlejmb
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

Well Kinsey, looks like the Wellbutrin isn't working on my climax problem yet. I wore my poor husband out, and he was upset because I didn't climax. I wonder if the Lexapro is still in my system and affecting me that way? I will be really be depressed if the Wellbutrin doesn't work, and I have gone through all this for nothing!

Maybe it's just too soon, yet. Have you noticed any change in yourself?

PS - what is pitiful is that my husband rarely climaxes either because he's on Prozac! AD's are really killing our sex life. He has already tried Wellbutrin, and it made him very hostile. I made him get off it, because he scared me.

Old 08-28-2005, 07:16 PM   #39
    kinsey61
    (female)

kinsey61 HB User

I cannot tell me how sorry I am to hear this. I know the exact same feeling and it reeks[stinks that is- only worse but I don't want to get edited )
    All I can tell you is when I asked the question, it was really just with the hope that maybe it had started working on you EARLY in that respect. Rember, 6 weeks is what we have heard from MANY souces, including my doc who I trust! No I haven't noticed anything in that respect ( Remember I'm only 150 mgs for a week and 1/2,! ) AND, I think the doc isn't necessarily sure it will help until I unloead some of the serotonin in me. ( and if I got it right you just started the 2.5, right? )
    Please don't be disappointed, you knew it was kind of a shot in the dark. Beleive me though I feel your pain.

I just don't know what to say except that it really must be too early. A chocolate sudae usually helps me feel a little better. Just remember we ARE getting there, we just need patience. ( NOt feeling too virtuous (sp?) myself.)

Pleae don't let this bring you down- take care- and keep me posted
    -Kinsey

PS Who is General Failure, and why is he reading my hard disc?

Old 08-28-2005, 07:35 PM   #40
    littlejmb
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

Kinsey, I hope you are right, and I just want everything to work right away. I think I am concentrating on it so hard, because it has been such a problem, that I can't relax and let it happen either. I would have a chocolate sundae, but I am trying to lose these Lexapro lbs! I gained about five lbs with it, and stayed hungry all the time.

Yeah, I still have some of the Lex in my system, but I really didn't think that would matter since they prescribe Wellbutrin in conjunction with SSRI's all the time. Again, I've been only the 300 mg less than a week, and expected too much. My poor husband thinks he doesn't turn me on anymore, and I have to reassure him that isn't the case.

I don't know what you mean by your PS, about General Failure reading your hard disc. Is something coming up on your computer?

Jackie

Old 08-28-2005, 07:50 PM   #41
    kinsey61
    (female)

kinsey61 HB User

General Failure was a joke, I guess I was (badly) trying to cheer you up.
    I know what you mean about your husband though, it took years to convince mine that the depression wasn't related to him, and now this. Men are so fragile with their egos. Still he's a good guy and I hate to see him hurting which is partly why I went this wellbutrin route. We just need to work on our patience ( not a strong point of mine)
    How about a joke a post, and I will try to come up with something better than General Failure, okay?

Here goes: Do you know the technical desription of the shin bone?
    A device for finding furniture in the dark.

Any better?

In any case, I'm ging to bed, I have an early medcial test tomorrow and I am so used to staying up late and sleeping in I may have to set 3 or 4 alarms.
    Type to you soon-
    -Kinsey

Old 08-29-2005, 09:31 AM   #42
    kinsey61
    (female)

kinsey61 HB User

Jackie, are you there today? Maybe not til later, huh? Just wanted to check in how you're feeling. My medical test was cancelled, oddly enough, the hospital lost all of it's power. The receptionist was calling me from the parking lot on her cell phone.Nice of them to try to get in touch with everyone though, If I would have driven all the way there to find it cancelled I'm sure I would have been steaming. This way I just went back to sleep relieved to put it off to another day ( sort of, you know....)
    Anyway my lame cheer up is this:
    Did you hear there's a new county song out?
    It's called " I miss him terribly but my aim is getting better!"
    Hee hee
    Hope to hear from you-
    Kinsey

Old 08-29-2005, 10:58 AM   #43
    littlejmb
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

Hey Kinsey,

I got your post this morning, and was replying but my computer locked up on me. Something screwy is going on with my computer here at work, and it's very very slow. I was going to tell you that I didn't get your joke because I'M BLONDE!!! hee hee. Things go over my head quite a bit. I thought you were having computer problems!!

I am not feeling quite as well today, kind of nervous, but I had to take a Sudafed 12 hour and I think it might not mix well with the Wellbutrin because I felt fine until I took that. But - I couldn't breathe!! That sucks about your test today.

Hope you're feeling good today. I thought I was going to the doctor Thursday, but it's actually Wednesday. I feel kind of sensitive today, like things are hurting my feelings that don't normally do that. Maybe it's just the Sudafed.

I like that new country song! It's a good one.

Ok - do you know what you call a black man on a horse? (LeRoy Rogers!)

Ok - pretty darn lame. I'm going to have to come up with some good ones for you!

Good to hear from you -
    Jackie

Old 08-29-2005, 12:55 PM   #44
    kinsey61
    (female)

kinsey61 HB User

Jackie,
    I can guarenteeeeeeee [ yes I know, that was for emphasis ] it is the sudafed making you nervous.I used to take that and never could figure out why my hands were always shaking ( I too am blonde, even younger and blonder at the time). That is a BAD BAD drug for peple with anxiety ( or heart ) problems. It's no coincidence they banned any kind of pseudophedrine ( that what's in sudafed ) from the Olympics, it's like taking speed. Did you also know that one of the side effects ( not listed anywhere I'm sure, it was told to me by my Urologist ) is that it constricts your urethra. Trust ME, prolonged use can keep that baby constricted !

Sorry, didn't mean to go off on a tangent, but even coffee makes me jumpy, just be careful taking sudafed.[I'm sure that's what's causing the nervousness today] I now use a nasal inhaler everyday and just blow my nose a lot.
    So far a good day, I have to go run some errands and do some shopping (-you know- among people- so we'll see then if it's making me weird. [er- I guess] )
    Anyway.....

How do you know when a blonde has been using the computer?
    There's white-out on the screen !

Hopefully type to ya soon-
    -Kinsey

Last edited by kinsey61; 08-29-2005 at 05:59 PM.

Old 08-30-2005, 07:42 AM   #45
    acnemom
    (female)

acnemom HB User

I have been on Wellbutrin XL for about 10wks now, I feel better but not great. No side effects, except excess sweating. I have seen my reg doc and my gyne. I am 49 and I am sure that menopause and life circumstances are playing a part in all this. My gyne I thought gave me grt advice, he said that no matter what drug I took I would not feel 100% better until my life changed. So I am thinking about some major changes, and looking into marriage counseling.

Closed Thread