It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Depression Message Board

• Cymbalta & side effects

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 08-30-2005, 07:13 PM   #1
    chrismom
    (female)

chrismom HB User
    Cymbalta & side effects

Hi.

I was just prescribed yet another AD called Cymbalta. I have hated either the weight gain/loss of sex drive, or flat feeling from the others. Was wondering about this one.

IS there that constant hungry feeling from this AD? I've been up and down with my weight as I go on and off the different AD's.

Any info would be great. Thanks,

Chris

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 08-31-2005, 12:14 PM   #2
    Joanna2007
    (female)

Joanna2007 HB User
    Re: Cymbalta & side effects

Chris,

I have been on Cymbalta for about 3 weeks with no weight gain or appetite changes. The only significant side effect I have experienced is sleepiness which has helped dramatically with my insomnia. Depression seems to be easing up a bit as well.

Good luck.

Emalee

Old 08-31-2005, 02:14 PM   #3
    kinsey61
    (female)

kinsey61 HB User

Chrismom,
    Hi, I think I saw another post where you were talking about wellbutrin. I had asked a bunch of questions about the wellbutrin, but you probably didn't get back to that thread. Now I think we can exchange info. I have been on Cymbalta about 6 months. No I don't notice any hungry feeling all the time, but this drug replaced effexor ( a nightmare ) and I did gain some weight on that. I haven't continued to gain on the cymbalta, but of course it didn't drop off either.

It seems to have worked well for me, the initial anxiety didn't seem as bad as with some other AD's and passed quickly. Of course we're all different, in fact my Dr. told me that Cymbalta is very similar to effexor in make up, he found it odd I did so well with one and not the other. ( ????) One side effect is sweating, I have always been a cold person, hardly sweat at all, now it's been a hot summer and I seem to have a constant film. I also have night sweats, but that could be due more to menopause. All in all, I have been on several AD's this seems to be one of the better ones. ( Oh, there are some sexual side effects, but this may not apply to you, because I take Zoloft also and it's probably an overload of serotonin causing it. I think if I were on just one or the other I would be fine) I do understand Cymbalts is difficult to get off of once you're on it, you have to wean( usually much slower than the docs tell you) to avoid really bad side effects. I may have more info on that in a week or to as I try to cut down!

Now, I hope you don't mind if I ask you some questions about the wellbutrin. [You mentioned it on another site] My Doc just added that to combat the sexual side effects and we are going to cut down on one of the others. Did you feel the nerviousness/anxiety right away, or did it take some weeks to kick in? did it help at all?
    I've been on it about a week and 1/2,( 150 mgs ) don't really feel anything, good or bad. I understand it's slow working, but I thought I would feel soemthing by now! Another lady on the board just bumped up to 300, and isn't really feeling much but the side effects. Like I said, we're all different, but I would like to hear the details on this drug if you can afford the time.
    Thanks-
    -Kinsey

Old 08-31-2005, 08:12 PM   #4
    chrismom
    (female)

chrismom HB User

Hi Kinsey -

Sorry for not getting back to your original questions about Wellbutrin. I bumped from 150mg to 300 after 1 week. I remember the first week being exhausted all the time and my doc told me that I'm the 2nd person ever that experienced that on Wellbutrin because it's an energizing med. I did get energy from it. I also got a great sex drive from it too which has always been lacking. The anxiety kicked in after a couple of months. But I had just come off Lexapro so maybe there were still anti anxiety effects from the Lex when I first started the Wellbutrin. I felt irritable all the time, but not depressed. Actually in retrospect Im more irritable now off all meds then I was on the Wellbutrin. The anxiety mainly came in the evening and my doc prescribed Xanax for it which helped with sleep.

I liked the energizing effect of the Wellbutrin. Most Ad's make me lethargic. Why are you coming off Cymbalta?

Let me know how you feel coming off it and let me know if you have any other questions.

Thanks for your reply.

Chris

Old 09-01-2005, 06:25 PM   #5
    kinsey61
    (female)

kinsey61 HB User

Chrismom,
    Thanks for your reply, your timing is almost psychic. It's now been a week and 1/2 (150 mgs) on the wellbutrin and I was so tired todAY all I wanted to do is sleep. Couldn't figure a reason for it, now maybe I have one. Was it only on the 150 you felt tired? I'm supposed to do 2 more weeks of it, i'm not sure i he wants to bump me up or not, as he only prescribed it to counteract the sexual side effects of the other AD's I'm on. Which brings me to your question.( I'd say i'd make a long story short, but somehow all my post become novels.)
    I was taking Zoloft only, and did very well on it for a long time. I guess eventually you get used to it ( I think all AD's right?) and have to bump up the dosage. At 150 200 being the most they LIKE to put you on.., the dr wanted me to wean off the zoloft and take a drug called effexor. A couple months I was okay, but then I started becoming very emotional, crying and stuff ( I'm also peri--menopausal so its always a guess knowing what's what ) So i weaned off the effexor the same way I did the Zoloft( about 3 weeks ) and went back on the zoloft. I didn't feel great, but i figured it was all the changes. Then, almsot 2 weeks after finally being off the effexor. I started crying one day and couldn't stop for 3 days. I mean it was crying and sobbing like I don't think i've ever done before. Big puzzle was, I wasn't really depressed, and I am relatively happy in my life, so even I didn't know why this was happening. ( It was very scary to have such little control over your emotions, I'll never forget that feeling.) I went to my GP who upped my zoloft all the way, and wanted me to see a psych Dr for a med check. PSych put me on Cymbalta and I was so afraid to give up the zoloft( at this point it was the only thing that had helped ) SO he just added it on top of the zoloft, wiith an anti-anxiety drug called klonopoin. I took a leave from work, was afraid to leave the house, and became very depressed ( these were symptoms I didn't even have before the effexor ) eventually it all levelled out and I am well, except of course for the sexual side effects wihcih are driving me and the husband crayz.So now GP prescribes wellbutrin on top of all this other stuff with the plan to cut down on the zoloft. However, as I mentioned cybalta is similar to effexor in make up, and from reading this board I now know I went off the effexor too fast, and I think the whole breakdown type symtoms were possibly from effexor withdrawl, ( Seriously, punch effexor withdrawl into the search on this board you'll see many, many people who desribe even worse sumptoms. I was shocked. One girl has been tryiong to get off of it for like 7 or 8 months, she hates the effexor, but everything is worse without it ) So I recently looked up cybalta withdrawls and although there wasn't a lot of info, most of it was bad and it takes a looonnggg time to wean off of it.

So to answer your question ( finally ) since the cymbalta effects both norepinephrine and seratonin, and I'm not sure I ever need both, I would like to try to wean off this one while I'm on the wellbutrin. I did beetter on ZOloft, and never had the sexual side effects. If I succeed in getting off the cymbalta,( I'm assuming it will take awhile ) I would like to then get rid of the wellbutrin. This is just too much junk in my system, and I think it never needed to be there, if it weren't for all the symptoms brought on by what I think was effexor withdrawl. [PLEASE don't let anyone talk you into that drug I have seen a lot more bad experience on this board than good.]

So overall, cymbalta has helped, but if you could get by with jsut an SRI that would be best. ( I know you said you tried a lot of AD's ) You don't want to end up like me, on all these meds, then meds to fix side effects, etc, etc, etc

Don't know if you ever tried zoloft, but it worked very well for me and no weight gain. I never took Lexapro.

Sorry so long, hoped I ansered you questions let me know if you have any more.
    Thanks-
    -Kinsey

Old 09-01-2005, 07:21 PM   #6
    chrismom
    (female)

chrismom HB User

Thanks for all the info Kinsey. I had read A LOT on Effexor withdrawal and swore I would never take the stuff along with Paxil which was the first AD I was ever on and experienced horrible withdrawals, dizziness, insomnia, weird dreams and brain zaps, flu symptoms. Those are two I hope to never have to take.

This is why I'm so hesitant about the Cymbalta too, because I know it works on the same transmitters as Effexor.

I, too am in Peri menopause I think or peri, peri menopause. I'm 39yrs old, but hormonally things are happening. My PMS is soooo bad, I am so depressed and anxious around PMS time. MY OBGYN once recommended Prozac only taken 2 weeks a month for it. SOmehow, it doesn't seem like it would work like that, but things are bad around that time.

I've been trying to exercise more and have been religiously taking an Omega 3 supplement and Calcium/magnesium supplement. I think they may be helping, but we'll see at PMS time this month.

About the Wellbutrin. THe tiredness subsided at around 1 week or so and then I upped my dosage to the 300 with little problem. Your tiredness could be coming from the combo of the Zoloft and Cymbalta. Plus if you are on a high dose of any SSRI, it could make you very fatigued.

I have tried Zoloft, but didn't feel like it did much. It lifted depression for me, but still didn't feel like myself. I just feel flat most of the time, on or off the AD's. Also, very irritable all the time. No patience for the kids, etc.... I wish there was just an irritability pill, because I think that's what I need most of the time. I feel like the Drs are missing something with my psychiatric status.
    I also could just be burnt out. I have 3 kids under the age of 7 and they are not easy. My oldest has ADHD symptoms and my youngest is in the terrible twos!

Well tha's my novel for today. If you have any light to shed on anything I've mentioned, please feel free. I like this site for that reason.

THanks and good luck, take care,

Chris

Old 09-02-2005, 07:41 PM   #7
    chrismom
    (female)

chrismom HB User

Hi

The tiredness from the Wellbutrin passed after about a week and then I went up to 300 mg without feeling tired all the time.

I have heard that type of info on Effexor withdrawals and I have sworn that I will never take that or Paxil. I had withdrawals from Paxil that weren't fun.

Cymbalta, I know is the same type of med and I don't think it will be for me.

I think my issues may be perimenopausal too. My hair is falling out like crazy and I get WICKED PMS, terrible depression and anxiety from it.

I've had my thyroid checked and it's OK. I've started taking Calcium and Magnesium along with Omega 3 supplement every day and I think they may be helping.

Good luck to you. I wish you the best.Let me know if you have any more questions.

Chris

Old 09-05-2005, 07:36 AM   #8
    littlejmb
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

littlejmb HB Userlittlejmb HB User

Chrismom,

I was reading your thread, because I just recently changed from Lexapro to Wellbutrin and wanted to see your input also. The Lexapro worked great for my depression, anxiety and being irritable. But - I got tired of the inability to orgasm, so I asked my GYN to switch me to Wellbutrin. He told me to just stop the Lexapro and start on the Wellbutrin - and wow - was that ever a mistake! I had brain zaps like crazy and then the flulike symptoms came on, as well as the emotional stuff. I read on these boards and realized I was going through withdrawal from the Lexapro, so I went back on 5mg and slowly weaned off. Now the brain zaps are back again, but I HOPE I don't get the flulike symptoms again!! I started taking 5 HTP at night so I would have some Seratonin in my brain and it would help me in getting off Lexapro. I am feeling great on the Wellbutrin now (300mg), so I am happy about that!

I read that your main symptom is being irritable, and wondered if you are taking Vitamin B complex? It is supposed to be really good for that. They say that if you take the B 50 complex, to take it twice a day. It is really good for your nerves. I am menopausal, so I know exactly what you are going through. Having three small children would drive me to the looney bin, for I have NO patience whatsoever!

I hope you find something to work for you soon! Good luck!

Jackie

Old 09-06-2005, 06:45 PM   #9
    chrismom
    (female)

chrismom HB User

Thanks Jackie. I also slowly tapered off the Lexapro and did not have withdrawals from that. I had started the Wellbutrin while weaning off Lexapro. I actually think I felt best while on the Lexapro with the Wellbutrin. I was wondering if the Wellbutrin would cancel out the negative side effects of the SSRI's. Let me know if you have that experience with being on the two of them.

If anything, I think that would be my next step would be to try an SSRI and Wellbutrin together. Did you have weight gain with the LExapro? It made me very hungry and craving carbs.

I'm going to make an appt with an endocrinologist if I can get in to see if there is something going on with my thyroid/adrenals. I think I'm just burnt out. I do take a multi for women that has a lot of B vitamin, but I'm not regular with it. I had my B levels checked recently and they were very good. I wish there was a way to tell what works for who. It's so frustrating.

Good Luck.

Chris

Closed Thread