It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Depression Message Board

• Lexapro or Effexor?

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 09-04-2005, 11:52 AM   #1
    armadillo pie
    Veteran

armadillo pie HB User
    Lexapro or Effexor?

I am thinking about getting on anit-depressents due to some major life changes that has left me feeling depressed. My Dr. gave me Lexapro which I have not started yet. She said many women take it now and wants me on the lowest dose since I can not tolerate anything more.

A friend said I should try Effexor because it has less side effects and she has not gained weight on it at all after one year.

So my question to you all is can you share you experiences with either one of these? Have you gained weight from either one? How did they make you feel and how long did it take till you felt better.

I need to make a decision soon and am hoping you can help me. Thanks.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 09-04-2005, 12:00 PM   #2
    Star Heart
    (female)

Star Heart HB User
    Re: Lexapro or Effexor?

I am on Lexapro. I've gained 15 pounds, but haven't suffered any other ill effects (I had hand and facial tics on Paxil) It's helped my depression tremendously, but I am on 20 mgs a day.

I hope things work out well for you, whichever you decide!

Old 09-04-2005, 02:17 PM   #3
    armadillo pie
    Veteran

armadillo pie HB User

Thank you Star heart- how long have you been on the Lexapro? Do you think the weught gain is from it?

Old 09-04-2005, 07:14 PM   #4
    Jecca1
    (female)

Jecca1 HB User

There is one person here on the boards named "sickofeffexor" who will be able to tell you how very hard it was to get weened off of. It seems to be a really bad one to be on. I would avoid it.

Old 09-04-2005, 10:18 PM   #5
    littlejmb
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

littlejmb HB Userlittlejmb HB User

I started on Lexapro in March due to depression and anxiety that is menopause related. I promise you, I felt 100% better the very next day. It worked very fast, and extremely well for me. I only gained about four lbs during the time I was on it, and the only bad reaction I had in the beginning was nausea, which went away after I started taking it in the morning. If you do go the Lexapro route - start out on 5mg. I started out on 10mg, which is what my doctor told me to do, but I think it would have better to start 5mg one week and then up it to 10mg the next week.

I just recently have switched over to Wellbutrin XL because of the sexual sideaffects of Lexapro. I (and alot of other people) have difficulty in being unable to climax during sex, which is very frustrating. I am having trouble weaning off of it, having brain zaps, and the SSRI flu. Withdrawing from SSRI's alot of time make you have flulike symptoms and are really not good at all! But, I am feeling good on the Wellbutrin XL now and hope the Lexapro withdrawl goes away soon.

I too, have heard bad things about Effexor.

Closed Thread