It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Depression Message Board

• Another ? about Lexapro/Wellbuterin Withdrawl

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 09-08-2005, 09:31 PM   #1
    NaeNae

NaeNae HB User
    Another ? about Lexapro/Wellbuterin Withdrawl

Hello Everyone,

I saw the long thread on withdrawl from Lexapro and I'm sort of in the same boat, but a little different, so I thought I'd see if someone can help me.

Before I go on, my main question is: How long do the withdrawl symptoms last?

I had been on Lexapro for several years and it stopped working a long time ago. SSRI's have never quite worked well for me in the past. I was on a max of 20mg. So about 6 months ago, we slowly added Wellbuterin XL in, 150mg, then 300mg, then the max of 450mg. So I was taking both, but I hadn't noticed any difference. I felt maybe the Lexapro was bring down the effects of the Wellbuterin (kind of like cancelling them out), so I asked my Psychiatrist if I can just try Wellbuterin alone.

So after years of taking 20mg, he gave me a one week pack of 10 mg pills, told me to take the 10 for one week, then I'll be done.

I took the last one a few nights ago, and now I'm feeling it. Bad. I have severe back problems, so have to take pain medicine and with that goes an occasional withdrawl here or there (like last time my doctors office forgetting to call in my prescription before they left for the 3 day weekend! Grr!) and I know that seriously feels like the flu. I can say it's not that bad. However, it started with the mood swings and plain bitchiness. Yelling at my kids, then crying cause I yelled. Being short with my husband. Being a little more blunt with friends. Now today I'm getting nasuea (I can never spell that right), I'm in a ****** off mood over nothing and getting the head zaps BAD.

I'm wondering if I tapered too quick and too high a dosage. Should I call my doctor back and get another 2 weeks, drop down to 5 for a week, then 2.5 for the last week? Or if this withdrawl usually lasts just a few days, if I've come this far (which, again, is only about 3 days, but today has been the hardest), just stick it out? I'm reading how everyone felt this way, took one (half or whatever) and felt so much better. I do remember kind of the same thing happening a few years ago, my doctor kept forgetting to call it in, and when I finally got it, it seemed like almost as soon as I swallowed it-relief! So it's tempting me to ask my doctor for more for another taper, I don't have any left, so I can't do anything. However, if this withdrawl is almost over, I don't want to set myself back.

So my main question-
    -How long does the withdrawl last?

And advice I could use-
    -Keep going with the w/d-I'm almost done!
    or
    -Call the doctor to get more for a slower taper?

I appreciate you guys so much. I know when I need help, everyone is great, so hoping someone can help me out.

Thanks!

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 09-09-2005, 10:11 AM   #2
    NaeNae

NaeNae HB User
    Re: Another ? about Lexapro/Wellbuterin Withdrawl

THought I'd try to bump this up. Anyone? Please? I feel horrible today. I'm so mad at everything, sick to my stomach. I just want relief. I'm going to call my doctor, but sometimes it takes all day for him to call back, so wanted to see if anyone can help me here.

Old 09-09-2005, 12:17 PM   #3
    littlejmb
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

littlejmb HB Userlittlejmb HB User

NaeNae,

I can totally relate to this. I just got done weaning off of Lex and started on Wellbutrin. When I first started Wellbutrin, my doc told me to just stop the Lex. I was taking 10mg, and had tapered to 5mg the week before and then stopped. A few days later - I got the bitchiness, feelings like crying, nausea and the flu symptoms. I read on here about lexapro withdrawal, so I decided I had tapered off too fast. so - I took 5mg and felt better within a hour! I kept at that dose for a week, and then 2.5 for a week, and then nothing. But - now I have these horrible brain zaps and I too wonder how long these will go on!! I would go back to taking 5mg and tapering off a lot slower.

Old 09-09-2005, 01:03 PM   #4
    campingirl72
    Veteran
    (female)

campingirl72 HB User

I agree with little ~ I think the slower you taper, the better ~ I was on 20mg of Lex too ~ felt awful like you when I tapered off too fast (like you) this time I am going to take it very slow ~ I'm going to keep cutting the dose in half and stay at each dose for 2 weeks ~ I'm on my 2nd week at 10mg, then I'm going to do 5mg for 2 weeks, then 2.5mg for 2 weeks then none ~ and see how I feel ~ my doctor told me to wean off in a few days, but I know from experience that makes me feel awful ~ I think some doctors dont know how awful it can make you feel cuz they haven't been through it ~ sorry for the rambling, but I would call your doc and wean off slower if you can ~ good luck!!!

Old 09-09-2005, 01:13 PM   #5
    littlejmb
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

CG,
    Even though I weaned off slow this time, I'm still having the brain zaps like crazy, and very emotional today, feel weepy. Mostly, I am sure is from not sleeping last night - being emotional anyway.

Old 09-09-2005, 03:03 PM   #6
    NaeNae

NaeNae HB User

Thank you all sooo much. I feel so much better having the support right now. I'm in tears like crazy right now. I've called my doctor twice today with no return call, I opted not to use his emergency pager, but for once I don't have a simple question that can wait until 5:30pm. I finally called back and used the emergency pager. My kids just got all the Playdough out after I told them 1 color each and I freaked out on them yelling and now I'm upstairs crying my eyes out. I need help, bad.

littlejmb, I am sooo happy to hear you just took one 5mg and felt better right away. That's what I wanted to do. It's a $40 prescription for me, so I was hoping he'd call me earlier in the day, I was willing to drive 30 minutes to his office for samples he usually gives me to save the money and not have to wait on the pharmacy to fill it, etc. Again, never heard back. And my husband is needing me to go to a work function tonight and I can't do it at this point.

I'm scared to death the way I'm feeling. When I first wasn't getting any messages on here, my doctor not calling me back, I had no one to talk to. I called my only friend who's been on antidepressants and she never called me back. I feel so alone. My husband doesn't understand, he won't even take Tylenol for a headache.

I think I'm going to do what you suggested. 10mg for 2 weeks, 5 for 2 weeks and 2.5 for 2 weeks. I swear I've weaned several times of an AD and onto another and never had this rough of a time. The only time I felt this bad is when I stopped cold turkey a few years ago because my doctor forgot to fill my prescription from the weekend or something. It was this bad. I don't get it, I'm still on Wellbuterin, but I don't know. I do need a slower taper. I think ya'll are right, doctors don't know what it feels like sometimes if they've never been on them. And I can guarantee my doctor probably hasn't.

Thank you everyone so much for responding. It makes me feel like someone cares right now. As I sit here in tears!

Thanks again and hugs to you both.

Old 09-09-2005, 03:11 PM   #7
    littlejmb
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

NaeNae,

Hugs back to you too! About three weeks ago, I was sitting right in your shoes. I had all my old high school pals coming in on Saturday and it was Friday, and I was a wreck. I had the flu like symptoms, felt like bawling - nervous - etc, and I decided right then and there that the best thing I could do for myself was to take the 5mg and start tapering again. And, this time it is easier.

The reason we have these withdrawals is because Wellbutrin is a completely different type of AD. It works on the brain receptors that produce dopamine and norephinphrine (or something like that) and Lexapro works on the receptors that produce seratonin. When we stop the lexapro - our brain and body goes crazy without it. If you can't get anything from your doc this weekend - go to the store and buy some 5-HTP and take 100 mg three times a day to build your seratonin level back up. I am taking 50mg 3 times a day and it is really helping with everything but the zaps

Old 09-09-2005, 03:17 PM   #8
    campingirl72
    Veteran
    (female)

campingirl72 HB User

NaeNae, I have to run but just saw your post and wanted to say quick, try not to beat yourself up over being all irritable ~ I've experienced the exact same thing as you ~ I've yelled at my kids over dumb stuff and then felt so bad ~ that was actually the thing that made me beg my doctor for antidepressants in the 1st place ~ we knew i had depression but she wanted me to try talking to a counselor for awhile 1st and see how i felt ~ one night i was so crabby yelling at the kids and I felt so bad, i felt soooooo stressed out and out of control ~ i called my doc 1st thing in the morning and said I need something i cant do this anymore!!!
    k, i'm babbling again, really gotta run ~ hope you get ahold of your doctor and feel better very soon!!!!!!

Old 09-09-2005, 03:38 PM   #9
    NaeNae

NaeNae HB User

Thank you all really for your support! I am happy to have read all these messages.

Right after I finished my above post, my doctor called. First, he tried to speculate that it was that my body really did need the Lexapro in the first place and I still need it as an AD. I know that may not be so, and this is all due to withdrawl. I was crying by the time he called and my husband just got home from work and is trying sooo hard to understand.

I told him about you doing the 10 for 2 weeks, 5 for 2, then 2.5 for 2 and he said that was a little conservitive, so said for me to do the 5 for a month. That way we can see if a lower dosage might help me altogether, if not, it's very little to wean from. I may take it from there myself. Tonight, I'm taking 10. I feel like I need to catch up. Then I'll move to 5, then 2.5 and see if that helps since I have a months supply.

When I got off the phone, my husband just held me while I cried and cried. He said we didn't have to go to his work function tonight if I wasn't up to it. He also offered to go pick up the samples of Lexapro for me at my doctors office 30 minutes away before they close at 5:30pm. He even took my 2 boys with him to give me time. His function starts at 6pm, it's 4:30pm now, so I told him when he got home, I'd take 10mg and see if I felt better in an hour (like you did) and if so, maybe we could still go. I never got out of my pajamas today and still never got ready in hair and makeup. It's only hors'd'overous (whatever you spell it!) at 6pm anyway, so it's not like we have to be there at 6pm exactly. So we'll see what happens. It's weird, I've also felt a little better since crying. Like I got out alot of emotions and whatever hormone releases when you cry. I've been weepy today, but it was when I was with my husband a bit ago that I just let it go.

So I'll update ya'll later tonight and let you know what happens. littlejmb, I'm so happy you got "well" just in time for all your friends to come in! I agree, what should be a good time with all your friends shouldn't have been overshadowed by something like this! I'm so happy it worked for you and hope everyone's brain zaps go away!

Thank you again, so much. Ya'll have been the only ones to truly understand and have been there. Double hugs to you all!

I'll be back to update when there is something to update!

Old 09-09-2005, 04:10 PM   #10
    littlejmb
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

NaeNAe, please let us know how it goes. I hope you feel way better in a couple of hours!

Old 09-10-2005, 09:38 AM   #11
    campingirl72
    Veteran
    (female)

campingirl72 HB User

NaeNae ~ I'm so glad your husband was so understanding and helpful! Did you take a Lexapro last night? How do you feel? hopefully much better!!! Did you go to your husbands work function last night? hopfully you are feeling much better!!!

Old 09-10-2005, 10:03 AM   #12
    littlejmb
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

Yes, I am anxious to hear how you are doing, as well. Hope you are feeling 100% better than this time yesterday.

Old 09-10-2005, 03:53 PM   #13
    NaeNae

NaeNae HB User

Hi girls!

Thank you so much for thinking of me. Sorry it's taken me until now to get online. Well, when he came home, I took 1-10mg. I told him I'd go, I was sure I'd feel better anyway. I got ready to go, but wasn't feeling a whole lot better in an hour, so I took another 10mg, which was my original dosage of 20mg when I was just on it regularly. I figured I'd do 20 for a day or two to "catch up", then go down to 10, then 5, etc. I didn't notice anything too much different at the work function, a little better, but not 100%. But then again, it felt good to get out and so I didn't think about what was going on. On the ride home I noticed I was still a little nauseous, snippy and just plain tired (that could have been because of a long day-especially of crying!). I went to bed last night soon after we got home and when I woke up this morning, I felt a bit more better. No more dizziness. I still feel a little nauseous and I'm still pretty darn bitchy, but I'm also one week before that time of the month, so it could be PMS. I've been pretty snappy with the kids today, too, but they made a big mess that they knew better not to. I was going wait until tonight (when I usually take my Lexapro) to take the 10mg, but as I found myself this afternoon getting more and more short tempered, I decided a few hours ago to take a 10mg. I haven't noticed anything yet, but then again, like I said, it could be PMS.

But I got myself all in a tizzy again because as I took my Wellbuterin today, I noticed I had 6 left-2 days left (3 a day, 150mg each=450mg). I called for a refill and they told me it was too soon. As I got to looking at it, the bottle said it had a quantity of 90. 3 x a day. So that would be a 30 day supply, right? I had it filled August 22. I honestly only take 3 a day (I have no reason to take any more, obviously), in fact I have skipped a day here or there, since I'm supposed to take it in the morning, I often forget and if it gets to be too late, I'll just wait until the next morning. So how could I be out? I admit, I don't always count out my prescription when I get it, and the pharmacist is like old as rocks, I'm wondering if I was shorted? Now I gotta call my Psychiatrist back on Monday and ask what to do. The insurance won't pay for it now since it's too early. I could ask my doctor for some samples to hold me over, but that's not the point. Either I got screwed in the quantity, and/or he's not going to believe me. And I don't know, I can see if this was some kind of controlled substance, but it isn't. I know I've had to go several times to the next Pharmacy closest to the one I go to because the one I go to won't have enough of something, or won't have it in, but I called over there, and I've never had Wellbuterin filled over there. I asked the Pharmacy Tech if I had a partial refill, and she said no. This pharmacy (a huge national chain) is so unorganized half the time.

This is all too crazy on what's happening to me. What a week, huh? I'll let ya'll know by Monday what's going on there and how I'm feeling by now. Thank you all so much for caring. It's nice to know people I don't even know in person, seem to care more than people who I know personally. I know people don't intentionally mean it, but not everyone understands depression, what it does to us and what meds are like. Thank you all so much. I hope everyone is feeling ok, and the zaps are getting less and less! Those are crazy, huh?

Hope you all have a good weekend!

Old 09-10-2005, 05:37 PM   #14
    littlejmb
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

Hi NaeNAe!

I have been wondering how you were making it! I am so sorry that you don't feel noticeably better after taking the Lex. By the next day, I felt ok again. But like you said, it could be PMS also.

About your Wellbutrin - if you ran out before time and only taking them like you're supposed to, then you had to have gotten shorted! That happened with us once with a prescription of my hubby's. They made it right though, thank goodness.

What type of Wellbutrin are you taking? I take one a day - in the morning (Wellbutrin XL) it is a time release and seems to work better for people since it continually works throughout the day. I wonder why your Psych didn't put you on that?

Old 09-11-2005, 12:04 AM   #15
    NaeNae

NaeNae HB User

Hi littlejmb! Thanks again for your posts! Just like you, I remember several years ago running out cold turkey (when I was on Celexa) and when I finally got it again, several days later, I swear it must have been my mind playing tricks, but as soon as I swallowed that thing, I felt better! That's what I was surprised this took so long!

I am on the same Wellbuterin you are. The XL. I'm on 450mg-the highest dosage. However, they don't make XL in 450, only in 150's and 300's, so instead of having to pay for 2 prescriptions, 1 for 150's and the other for 300's, he just writes out one for the 150's, but then has me take 3 a day all at once. I haven't noticed a difference and I've been on them about 6 months or so. I was on Celexa for years, then when they pretty much turned that into Lexapro, I went on that. It seemed like it stopped working, so I tried Effexor which worked for about 6 months, then nothing. I tried a few others, but went back to Lexapro thinking I took a good enough vacation off of it. I think SSRI's just don't help me. I've been on the Lexapro for a few years and about 6 months ago I had the idea to add in Wellbuterin. I always come up with these ideas and tell my doctor, he usually goes along with it, or will tell me if he doesn't think it's a good idea. So I added that in and we kept upping the dose and nothing. Then I started thinking Lexapro makes me so tired and increases my appetite, while Wellbuterin is supposed to (most of the time) give you energy and descrease your appetite. So I began to wonder if Lexapro was hindering, or cancelling out Wellbuterin's effects. I don't know if it can do that, but when I mentioned that to him and asked if I could try JUST Wellbuterin, he said we can try that, or try another one altogether (like Cymbalta). I said I'd rather just stick with the medication I know right now, go off Lexapro and stay with Wellbuterin. If that doesn't work, then we'll look at different avenues.

So here I am! I don't know-some days there honestly doesn't seem to be any hope! Also, I injured my back several years ago and I'm a stay at home mom and my quality of life is not where it should be. I have 3 herniated discs and arthritis in my lower back. I have to take pain medication and I know that can have an effect on antidepressants and how they work. Plus, the whole thing has just made me depressed and gain unneccesary weight.

I immediately thought I must have been shorted at the Pharmacy. Of course the Pharmacy Tech was treating me like it must be me-like they couldn't make a mistake. I'm glad you told me about your husband. I think mine's been so long, they can't prove they shorted, so hopefully my doctor will have samples to hold me over. And that he believes me. There would be no reason to take extra-ya know? I've learned a lesson to count when I come home from the Pharmacy. That pharmacy has been screwing up left and right and messing up so many things of mine for a while now. They've sent me to their next closest one to get some of my prescriptions several times lately because they don't have it in. When I first called, the tech and I were talking about 2 different medications. I gave her the prescription number, she pulls up the wrong one-and again acted like I was the dumb one. I really, really don't need this right now.

Thanks again so much for your help with everything. You've been such a sweetheart! I hope you're doing ok with Wellbuterin.

Closed Thread