It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Depression Message Board

• New here. Anyone taking Sarafem?

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 09-15-2005, 06:08 AM   #1
    KatM
    (female)

KatM HB User
    New here. Anyone taking Sarafem?

Hello everyone. I'm new to these boards and was hoping that I could get some info.

My dr. is prescribing Sarafem for me. When I approached him about my feelings/issues I really expected to be prescribed something more like Lexapro or Zoloft. Reading up on Sarafem I see that it's the same ingredients as Prozac and that it's used to treay PMDD (premenstrual dysphoric disorder). I really felt that I was dealing more with depression (and so does my therapist who recommended I try and a/d).

I would appreciate any info on Sarafem that anyone can give. I'm interested in side effects most of all...I've never been on an SSRI before and I'm very nervous, especially about weight gain & low libido which are already problems for me.

Thanks so much!

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 09-15-2005, 12:02 PM   #2
    americandancer
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

americandancer HB User
    Re: New here. Anyone taking Sarafem?

I think sarafem is the exact same thing as prozac. More gyn's prescribe sarafem to women who suffer from pmdd. I would think it would work the same as the prozac would for depression, though. I personally have never taken it.

Old 10-04-2005, 08:10 AM   #3
    sunny27

sunny27 HB User
    Re: New here. Anyone taking Sarafem?

Hi! I'm new here too. My Dr. has prescribed Paxil and Lexapro for my PMDD (not at the same time). I've now gone back to prozac (sarafem) due to the side effects of the Paxil and the Lexapro. I was too sleepy & flat feeling on Paxil and more anxious & cranky on the Lex. I'll keep you posted on how the prozac is going. In the past it has worked well for me, but the side effects can be annoying. Two side effects I usually have are vivid dreams/nightmares and sexual dysfunction. Keep me posted too on how you are doing. Good luck!!
    Thanks!

Closed Thread