It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Depression Message Board

• Neck muscles stiff. Depression related?

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 10-25-2005, 12:16 PM   #1
    jojojojo
    (male)

jojojojo HB User
    Neck muscles stiff. Depression related?

Any of you guys experience this also? My neck muscles (also shoulder area closest to neck) get stiff and feels tight. I diognised myself using a online quiz and seems like I have depression. Sleeping problems (cant go to sleep early, then sleeps too much), loses interest in many things, dont wanna do things with friends and family. What kind of doctor should I see for this? What about the physical problems - should I see physical therapist? I've seen chiropractors for my neck problem, didnt help.
    Any help apreciated!
    ~jo.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 10-25-2005, 04:40 PM   #2
    trg247
    Senior Veteran
    (male)

trg247 HB Usertrg247 HB Usertrg247 HB User
    Re: Neck muscles stiff. Depression related?

online quizs are a good starting point but do not rely on them for a diagnosis, your symptoms points at depression but it also points to anxiety and stress so you probaly should go talk to your doctor

take care

Old 10-26-2005, 12:34 AM   #3
    jojojojo
    (male)

jojojojo HB User

thanks for your reply. i dont have a doctor so but i do have an insurance, what kind of doctor should i be looking for? also, i really understand the differences between depression, stress, and anxiety. can you briefly describe them please? english is not my 1st language, and theres i think only one name for all of those three in my culture so.

Old 10-26-2005, 01:21 AM   #4
    trg247
    Senior Veteran
    (male)

trg247 HB Usertrg247 HB Usertrg247 HB User

Depression - Is a mood disorder caused by many different factors, mine is caused by a chemical imbalance in my brain- main sympthoms - a feeling of worthless ness, a loss or gain of weight, trouble in sleep either to much or to little. There is also many different kinds of depression
    Anxiety- its main symptoms is a constant state of panic or almost panic, your body is shaky, you are worried about little things that grow into bigger things because of the anxiety
    Stress-Is an everyday thing, work, school, relationships cause stress no matter how well they are. The problem becomes how the person handles the stress is where the problem lies. If you handle stress poorly it changes into anxiety. Hope this helps

As for what doctor to see - a family doctor is a good start, a mental health counsellor is another, then you have psychiatrists and psycologists which would be more helpful but are more likely more expensive

sorry if this is unclear, meds are kicking in so things are a bit wobbly. Any clarification needed just ask

take care

Old 10-26-2005, 02:20 AM   #5
    jojojojo
    (male)

jojojojo HB User

thanks so much. sounds like i have stress, not quiet depression nor anxiety. my mom definately has anxiety. what would you suggest for an old person like my mom to do? shes always worried, even the smallest things. im gonna make some appointments tomorrow for myself.

Last edited by jojojojo; 10-26-2005 at 02:21 AM.

Old 10-26-2005, 07:57 PM   #6
    stuckmissy
    Veteran
    (female)

stuckmissy HB User

Any kind of stress or tension can stiffin up your neck and shoulders. I think that the quizes and infromation on the net can be great to help us relate to ourselves and gives us a place to start when we do talk to a doctor. However I also just want to point out that a lot of the sites with quizes and the information to take to your doctor are from drug companies..yikes..and they want us to not only seek help for ourselves but also use their meds. Just be ware. I would suggest seeing your family doctor and getting a good referal to see a mental heath professional. And ask to get a diagnosis. I was never diagnosed but I sure was medicated and treated. I hope you find the help you need. Be active in seeking it.
    Krissy

Closed Thread