It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Depression Message Board

• Can a teen get anti depressants w/o parental consent?

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 10-29-2005, 08:58 PM   #1
    prettyinpink17
    (female)

prettyinpink17 HB User
    Exclamation Can a teen get anti depressants w/o parental consent?

hello
    i have been on anti depressants since i was 12 and im almost 16...i take effexor....anyway...my best friend has a tough home life and is depressed. Ive noticed her being depressed and even took a test and had 11 of 16 symptoms. She is not hurting herself or suicidal but im afraid she might become if she doesnt get help...her parents refuse to get her any meds and dont even think she needs them...her parents are not great...her mom is an alcoholic and her dad is verbally abusive to her and her mom...she really needs help and i was wondering if there is anyway she can get medication or therapy or anthing that could help her. thanks

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 10-30-2005, 02:46 AM   #2
    duncanisfine
    (female)

duncanisfine HB User
    Re: Can a teen get anti depressants w/o parental consent?

It's such a shame when parents try to obstruct their kids from getting help. I'm 18 now but at 15 I was terrfied of going to the doctors in case my parents found out (they know now and are actually good about it!). I think for your friend it will depend EXACTLY how old she is. At 16 (I think), teenagers have the right to confidentiality and her parents wont be told anything. Before 16 I think its unusual for doctors to even SEE teenagers on their own. That's how it is where I live anyway.
    All I can suggest is that your friend make an appointment at the GP's and goes either on her own or with a friend. Before starting talking to the GP about it she could just ask if the convo is going to go any further. If the doctor is willing to see her then I think it'll be fine. If the doctor is obliged to talk to her parents before prescribing then she could just tell him to leave it. I think it unlikely that a Dr would start interfering and phoning home when they know it'd cause trouble.
    But I also think it'd be more helpful to get to the bottom of why her parents dont want her to take meds? Is it because of the certain tabboo there sometimes is over depression and anti-depressants? Maybe it'd help if they did some reading about it? Although her parents dont sound greatly helpful, I doubt they want her to be unhappy and hopefully they'll realise that she does need help.
    All the best xx

Old 10-30-2005, 09:55 AM   #3
    hoiz
    (female)

hoiz HB User
    Re: Can a teen get anti depressants w/o parental consent?

Hey
    At the age of 16 and over, anyone has the right to confidentiality.No doctor is allowed to discuss an individuals medical notes with their parents or anyone else, UNLESS the individual is in great danger of harming themselves or others or being harmed.However, this is in extremely rare situations therefore there is no need to worry.
    Your friend is battling depression with only her best friends love and support, therefore she needs to understand her illness and seek help immediately from a doctor.Her doctor can treat her depression in the best way possible, probably with anti depressants or therapy.
    Do not delay the healing process.Depression can be a severe illness and if not treated in time then the individual may become so overwhelmed, god forbid, and do something bad to end it all.
    Please urge your friend to see a doctor and if she has the courage and strength to, then talk to her parents and explain exactly how she feels.I suffer from clinical depression and have done for over a year now.I hesitated so much to seek help from my doc that i did something very stupid and tried to end all my pain.I had no support from my alcoholic mother and abusive father either.My father used to abuse me from a very young age.I also suffer from spine problems which i believe escalated the depression a good few years back.I am only 17 but now have the support from my mother who hasnt touched alcohol for almost a year now.
    It took alot of courage and about 6 months before i could break my silence and admit i was suffering from depression, but now i am on the road to self recovery with my fantastic meds and going to see a pyschtrist every so often.
    Good luck and be there for your friend all the way.
    Thank you. Holly

Closed Thread