It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Depression Message Board

• Switching to Prozac and I am scared

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 11-16-2005, 03:40 PM   #1
    Strongmomof3
    (female)

Strongmomof3 HB User
    Switching to Prozac and I am scared

I have suffered from depression off and on for 5 years. It really is hard to deal with it sometimes, because it is such a lonely diease. I have been off and on SSRI's and i have tryed Effexor, Paxil, Wellbutrin, Lexapro and now Prozac. Effexor got me out of depression but i felt like a zombie most of the time. Paxil worked for a while and just pooped out and got deeper into depression. I have tryed Wellbutrin but i have severe anxiety taking it. I started taking Lexapro last July and did very well on it. I truly felt on top of the world. My depression was gone, anxiety was down, shaking was gone, my head was clear. The only down fall was 25lbs i gained while on it. Then I decided upon myself to go off of it this summer because of the weight gain. I got very depressed and put myself back on it and it just did not work again. So i went to the Dr. a couple of weeks ago because I have been very fatigued but not really depressed so they put me on Prozac. I have been on it for two weeks and my fatigue is better but now i am really really low and i am scared. I know what depression is and it is not fun. The hardest part of this is that I really do not have a lot of support and you have to be so fake with people. I have to keep my spirits up with my kids ages 14, 9 and 5, my work, ( I am a Pre-K-3 teacher) when i really do not want to. My husband does give me support but i really do not think he understand the situation completly. Please all i want to know is how you deal with the low times and have you tried Prozac and how did it work for you. Thank you Tammy

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 11-16-2005, 06:58 PM   #2
    chrismom
    (female)

chrismom HB User
    Re: Switching to Prozac and I am scared

Hi Tammy -

Wow your situation sounds so much like mine. My depression has been around too for about 4 years and I have been on and off SSRI's including. Zoloft, Paxil, Lexapro (hated the weight gain too), Wellbutrin (me too with the anxiety, but liked the increase in libido), and now I am on Cymbalta. This has been the most effective for me so far and without the weight gain. I hate having to take anything, but I deal with things, my family, and kids so much better and am so much more positive while on meds. I fail to see the good in anything when I'm depressed and it's not a good mindset.

I also have 3 kids, 7, 5, and 3yrs old. My depression stared after my second child. I can't imagine working while being depressed, I did for awhile and then quit after #3 was born. You have to be "on" all the time as a teacher and that must be so hard.

The SSRI's I found make you feel worse before you feel better so hang in there and take one day at at time. The other thing I have noticed in my experience with them is that I often feel better as I taper down, like I don't need a really high dose. Once the Cymbalta started working I tapered down and take like 1/2 a capsule and it seems to be doing fine. Plus the side effects arent as bad. I was going to talk to my doc about Prozac as a next option actually because at the higher doses the Cymbalta made me agitated I think it's my anxiety. Prozac is supposed to be better for that.

I feel like a lot of my issues are peri-menopausal /hormone related too. I have zero sex drive and it really stresss my relationship with my husband. It is so hard to go through this as a mom/wife, you have to be everything to everyone and you don't even want to be in your own skin, you just go through the motion.

Anyway, Cymbalta has made a difference in my life and I hope the Prozac kicks in soon for you. It took Cymbalta 3 weeks or so to make me feel better and really like 6 weeks to get adjusted and full effect.

Feel free to keep in touch for support. Best wishes,

Chris

Closed Thread