It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Depression Message Board

• Good Bye, Wellbutrin.....hello ??

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 12-30-2005, 12:52 PM   #1
    roz5
    Veteran
    (female)

roz5 HB Userroz5 HB User
    Good Bye, Wellbutrin.....hello ??

Well, I've been on Wellbutrin XL for 5 weeks now (past week at 450mg). I feel exactly the same, if not even worse than before I began taking it. I don't think that it is the med for me. I called the PA (who has been treating me) at my doctor's office and spoke with her. She agreed and decided to wean me off of Wellbutrin this next week. Additionally, I told her the symptoms/side effects I had been having (hot flashes, mood swings, anxiety/agitated, acne!)......we both also wonder if my hormone medications need adjusting. Trying to juggle this hormone replacement therapy (I had a hysterctomy in June) with the anti depressant meds is a nightmare in itself!
    So, I am weaning off of Wellbutrin this week and will call my gynecologist next week to ask about the hormone medications and checking the hormone levels. My gyn had also mentioned earlier about a "mood stabilizing med" that she could prescribe, but never told me the name of it, as I told her I was on Wellbutrin. I shall ask her about that also.
    Sure hope I don't have problems coming off the Wellbutrin.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 12-30-2005, 01:57 PM   #2
    kinsey61
    (female)

kinsey61 HB User
    Re: Good Bye, Wellbutrin.....hello ??

Roz,
    Hey, I am so sorry I wasn't able to get back to you on the other thread, got busy all of a sudden. I am definititly going off the WB XL, every other day so far, no major effects. I am curious what mood stabalizer your gyn will put you on. years ago,
    [ probably when the menopause started ] and my emotions were all over the place,
    ( you know, crying one minute, happy the next, etc., etc, etc. ) I started on zoloft. I did very well on that. [ my husband thought it was a miracle drug! ) Of course that doesn't neccessarily mean you will, but I thought I'd throw that in. The thing with zoloft is that you DO need more of it-over time- to keep the same effect. So when I was almost to the largest dose[ this was over a period of about 2-3 yearrs though !] my doctor switched me to another AD that also had epinephrine in it, and that's when the **** hit the fan. I would do some research, or ask aroung on the board what worked for most people. You should only need an SRI ( Sertonin re-uptake inhibitor [ I think ] ) you know, one that ups your serotonin and doesn't do anything with your epinephrine. It seems that's when I started having problems, and I found from this board a lot of people were the same. You know, Zoloft, Paxil, Prozac, they are all kind of the same type. And hey do make you kind of jumpy and moody AT FIRST, but that goes away after a week or two. Let me know how you're doing, and good luck!
    Kinsey

Old 12-30-2005, 03:00 PM   #3
    Frozen Girl
    (female)

Frozen Girl HB User

I had some problems with Welbutrin, too. I was taking it in combination with Lexapro, but I didn't feel like it was helping much, and I also felt very irritable while I was taking it. My doctor switched me to Cymbalta about 6 months ago, and that has worked well for me. The only thing I've noticed about Cymbalta is that towards the end of the day, I sometimes have more difficulty concentrating than usual, but it doesn't bother me enough to stop taking it. My doctor said this could be due to the norepinepharine wearing off at the end of the day. Hope you find some relief!

Old 12-31-2005, 03:16 AM   #4
    glamaz0n
    (female)

glamaz0n HB User

If you can, try and hang in there. It took four months for Wellbutrin SR to start working for me. I was ready to quit and then gradually started feeling better. I also started acclimating to my new surroundings (moved recently) and didn't feel so displaced and abandoned. Maybe it was the WB, maybe it was the situation, who knows.

But I originally tried Abilify, which is a mood stabilizer for psychotic conditions, and it worked instantly and also, can be taken "as needed" without the daily commitment and constant remembering to medicate. Only trouble was it was way too pricey as I have minimal insurance with a large deductible. I can get Wellbutrin generic which costs way less so that helps.

Hope this helps. Happy New Year!

Old 12-31-2005, 03:21 AM   #5
    roz5
    Veteran
    (female)

roz5 HB Userroz5 HB User

I definitely feel more agitated, angry & depressed on Wellbutrin. My husband even said that I'm not any better on it. As I mentioned, I am calling my gyn this week to get her input on the matter. Who knows, maybe my hormone meds need adjusting, which may be magnifying my depression. I will wean myself off the WB and start from square one again. Something out there must be available to bring me back to my perky, cheerful self.....soon!!

Old 01-01-2006, 04:38 AM   #6
    roz5
    Veteran
    (female)

roz5 HB Userroz5 HB User

Update......the PA at my doctor's office is weaning me off of Wellbutrin XL this week. She had mentioned trying Effexor after this (eek!). I had a short chat with my gyn and she also mentioned Effexor (eek again!) or Paxil.
    I've heard horror stories about Effexor and don't even want to attempt it. I'm stuck between a rock and a hard place here and am thinking that I should just leave well enough alone and stay OFF any meds. Perhaps juggling the hormone meds is enough to handle right now.

Old 01-02-2006, 02:54 PM   #7
    kinsey61
    (female)

kinsey61 HB User

Roz
    Hi. I just saw your post from 12-24 about wellbutrin versus cymbalta. I realize it's old, sounds like maybe you have already made your decision. but thought I would write this anyway.

Don't know if you remember my posts, ( I have kind of followed you all over the board, seems like I have taken just about all the drugs you mentioned. Just to refresh-- how the drugs affected me- I started on low dose zoloft. it worked great, i just had to keep upping the dose. When i was about at the end of being able to up it, doc put me on effexor. It IS the nightmare everyone talks about! I know it has done some people good, but most people's posts that I have read are like me, bad experience. It didn't work very well, and then the WORST weaning offof it. I had side effects for months, and just about had a nervous breakdown. There were other factors, but I don't think I would have had to take time from work and such if the effexor didn't have the chemicals in my brain all screwed up.

NOW TO THE POINT- during the effexor withdrawl mess I was prescribed cymbalta. My General Physician ( my main guy, he keeps up on all the antit- depressant drugs and I depend a lot on him) said it is basically the same components as effexor. So oddly enough, I did very well on this drug. it did help with chrionic pain ( don't know if that's an issue with you, and it seemed to keep me leveled out emotion-wise. I've read a lot on this board about it, mostly all positive. I actually did wean off of it because we needed to start getting rid of some of these AD's ( I was on 3 ) and we [ my Doc and I] picked that one. I weaned ridiculously slow, but there were no nightmare side effects like with the effexor. Now,I am on wellbutrin and zoloft. Now that it seems the wb is making me mean and nasty, I too am weaning off of it. But what I also have found out from being off of the cymbalta-- is that it truly was helping me more than I realized. Now I think [ after I'm rid of WB ] I am going to decrease the dosage of zoloft, and start the cymbalta again,[ my doc said cymbalta does boost seratonin also, difference being that it ups the epinephrine too. ] toward the goal of being on just cymbalta. It's all about finding the right recipe ( in my case anyway ) and trying NOT to be on too many of these drugs. I jsut wanted to reassure you that cymbalta does seem to be a good AD, even if it is similar to effexor--which I, like everyone, would advise you to stay away from.

I think your right, nothing would be best, but if you do feeel you need something, you should find the RIGHT something. I think I posted to you before, the paxil, zoloft, prozac types are all pretty mild and only boost your seratonin levels, so they are only messing wih that one chemical in your brain. The effexors, and cymbaltas also boost epinephrine, which I thought was mainly for depression AND pain. Don't put any more chemicals in your body than you have to-- and research anything they prescribe BEFORE you take it. Doctors ususally only know what they read and what the sales reps tell them about the drugs. My gyn of 14 years told me " it used to be zoloft was the drug they precribe for menopause, now it's effexor. " Effexor was fairly new, and I just don't think they knew about all the side efects, and difficulty getting off of it until it started happening to people.

Sorry too long again, but bottm line, don't take more than you have to ( if at all ) and make sure to research any drug you do take, before you take it.
    Good luck with all -
    -Kinsey

Old 01-02-2006, 03:13 PM   #8
    roz5
    Veteran
    (female)

roz5 HB Userroz5 HB User

Kinsey,
    Thanks so much for your wonderful reply! You sound so much like me! I am on day 4 of weaning off of Wellbutrin and so far, so good. Tomorrow, I am down to one pill a day (150mg) for 3 days. Then, nothing on Friday. I did e-mail my gyn about which AD she would've recommended and she said Effexor (eek) or Paxil. She even gave me her cell phone number so I could call her if I needed her to call something into the pharmacy (thought that was nice of her). Anyways, I would like to actually make an appt. to see her and ask her if, perhaps, my hormone meds may need adjusting. I'd like to try that route first. I don't know if there is a blood test that can test hormone levels. The saliva test takes forever to get results back from (I've done 2 already).
    So, my "idealistic plan" is to talk to my gyn first. Then, I'll call the PA at my regular doctor's office to get her input on the matter. Cymbalta does sound like my drug of choice, that is....if I have to be on one. I'm to the point of just giving up and accepting the fact that this may be "as good as it gets".
    A side note......my podiatrist gave me the name of a Global Nutritionist who specializes in Iridology (have I already mentioned this?). My podiatrist goes to her because her gyn was not helping her too much with the menopause issue (I just love my podiatrist....she's fabulous!). My podiatrist says that some of the stuff this Iridologist does is "way out there" and goes against everything she learned in med school......but it IS HELPING HER! So, I have an appointment with this Global Nutritionist on Saturday. Totally not like me to go to someone like this....but hey, I'm getting desperate for help here!
    Please keep me posted on how you are doing...and I will do the same!
    Back to work tomorrow...ugh.

Last edited by roz5; 01-02-2006 at 03:14 PM.

Old 01-02-2006, 08:04 PM   #9
    kinsey61
    (female)

kinsey61 HB User

Roz,
    Hey thanks for writing back! Sounds like you have good and solid plan made out, so apparently your concetration skills aren't effected anyway! I didn't mentoin hormones in my last post, but I may have told you before, I am on avery low dose estrogen [only] patch. ( I think like .025 does that sound right? ) It's low because I still have my uterous and they don't like to give just estogen for some reason, but the progestorone ( or whatever the other is that they ususally give alone, or in conjuntion ) makes me reallly nuts. Even the low dose hormones helped a lot with the levelling off. My big thing was crying at every little thing, and it definitely stopped that. [ People really think you're crazy when the cashier tells you " no sorry, the tomatoes are actually 2.99 a pound", and you start to cry, and don't even know why you are cryiing your own self!)

And yes, there is a bloodtest for hormones, but one of the gyns I see told me, (and I thought it makes sense) that he doesn't even do the test, because some women can show really low estrogen or whatever, and they show no symptoms at all. Some show no change, but have hot flashes, night sweats, and cry when cashiers tell them the correct price on tomatoes. I think his point is that everybody is different and not affected the same way by anything. Maybe your gyn could adjsust your hormones slightly even without the test. I mean as long as they're not into the high dosages that carry so many risks, it's kind of all about what works.

AND... ( I can't get on here and write a short damn note to save my life! ) I think the nutritionist is a great idea too. There is a thead that one of my friends on this board
    [ under Littlejmb, her name is Jackie ] started under the menopause board, I think it is,
    " why don't we treat menopause naturally?" It's a major long thread, so it may not be on the first page. But if you dig around and find Littlejmb [Jackie} she is all into using natural herbs and stuff for menopause, and depession. [ she does take welbutrin, I think she may have posted to you earlier ] I 'm sure she would be happy to share her thoughts with you, and to see what the nutritionist says. [ Me too, let me know! ] If you do find the thread itself, It's some good information in there. If natural is what works, all the better!

So once again, all the best, keep in touch !
    -Kinsey

Old 01-03-2006, 02:19 AM   #10
    roz5
    Veteran
    (female)

roz5 HB Userroz5 HB User

Kinsey,
    You're too funny! I hear you about the crying! I knew my hormone levels were out of whack when I started crying in front of my students (I am a teacher)! I had to leave the room to compose myself. Needless to say, my students were dumbfounded (and very kind about it....they know what I've been through with the hyst). Even as I type this, I am getting one major hot flash!!
    My goodness......I just want to feel good again. Thankfully, my gyn understands and I quote her, "nothing is more important than one's mental health".
    So, we'll see what this week brings. Back to work today (ugh). This should REALLY tax my mental well being!
    I will try to search for that thread you were mentioning when I get a chance this week.
    Keep me posted!

Last edited by roz5; 01-03-2006 at 02:20 AM.

Old 01-03-2006, 12:08 PM   #11
    littlejmb
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

littlejmb HB Userlittlejmb HB User

Hi Roz (and Kinsey)

Roz, the thread Kinsey is referring to is "treating menopause issues the natural way" on the menopause board. Come over there and I will share all the things I have learned and what has helped me and others with this whole mess!

Old 01-03-2006, 12:48 PM   #12
    needtoescape
    (female)

needtoescape HB User

I had a positive experience with Effexor. I was like you - very very reluctant to try it because of the horror stories I read. But - I was also very depressed and had been through several other ADs that didn't work for me. So I reluctantly tried Effexor. It worked great for me. It was almost like I was in a "parallel universe" where I was happy. The only reason I got off of it was because my blood pressure had slowly crept up over the time frame I was on it (can't remember; over a year I'm sure). I weaned off very slowly and had no problems with withdrawal. Remember that people are more likely to post the negative experiences than the positive - and there are a lot of people out there taking these meds with no problems.

I've been off of any AD since July - but am having difficulty so I'm probably going to have to go back on something. Out of all the meds I tried (Zoloft, Serzone, Effexor, Wellbutrin, Paxil, Prozac, and Cymbalta), I did the best with Effexor. Some of them didn't work at all for me (Zoloft). Some worked some, but had intolerable side effects (Serzone gave me weird vision problems). Several raised either my blood pressure or pulse. I didn't want to take a blood pressure medicine to counteract a side effect, but I am going to consider it if I end up deciding I need to go back on an AD. I am considering getting back on Effexor and just take a blood pressure med also.

Good luck with finding the right meds for you. It really is a trial and error situation.

Old 01-06-2006, 01:44 PM   #13
    kinsey61
    (female)

kinsey61 HB User

Hi
    Jackie, if you come back here- let me know how you are doing with the WB wean. I also wanted to ask you- is there a natural pill that would say, increase my progesterone? Rremember they wanted me to take that with the patch but I said no because I had taken it in the past, and it made me crazy (er, I guess)

Also, Roz, if you come back I really want to know how it goes with the nutritionist ( or whatever the natural remedy person your are seeing is called) I have wanted to look into a holistic doctor, but I really couldn't find any in my area, and I wonder if I am even looking under the prper name ( s ) for them.

If not, I guess I will search you both out!

-Kinsey

Old 01-06-2006, 02:29 PM   #14
    roz5
    Veteran
    (female)

roz5 HB Userroz5 HB User

Hi Kinsey,
    Well, so much has changed for me this past week! I have been in frequent contact with my gyn and she wants to try adjusting the hormones before trying another anti-depressant. We've been through 3 "plans" for hormones within the past 4 days! I'm so confused (and I imagine I have her confused also!). She is a fabulous gyn and is so willing to work with me to find the right balance (and she LISTENS to me and wants to know what my thoughts are on the meds!). We started out with "plan A", which was to continue with the Femring .05 and add Estratest (the higher dosage of combined estrogen & testosterone) and add Prometrium 200mg. This plan would have basically tripled my estrogen intake and added testosterone, which I haven't had yet. Her thought was to increase the estrogen, which would help to decrease the anxiety.

Well, I've done my research and the presented a "plan B" to her: reduce the Estrotest to half strength (too much estrogen and the added testosterone frightened me!), add the Prometrium and continue with the Femring .05.

Well, after many e-mails back & forth today and one phone conversation, we came up with plan "c": NOT use the Estratest; boost the Femring to 0.1 dosage and use the Prometrium 200mg. This plan basically doubles the estrogen I am currently taking. The first plan would've tripled it right away (almost too much at once).

What a confusing jungle!! Talk about information overload!
    The good news......I'm weaned off of the Wellbutrin and managed to have nothing more than a headache! I'm hoping that when I finally achieve hormonal balance, I won't be needing to take any anti-depressants. One can only hope!

Tomorrow, I have my appointment with the Global Nutritionist. She is very excited about helping me on my quest for better health!
    You can find one in your area by doing a yahoo search for: Holistic Network.
    There is a place where you can enter your state/zip and see if there is one in your area.
    I'll let you know how I make out tomorrow!

Old 01-06-2006, 04:25 PM   #15
    kinsey61
    (female)

kinsey61 HB User

Roz,
    Hey glad you found me. Yes Your plan c confused the heck out of me, but if it works it will be great. Just to add 2 cents, if your anxiety is a large factor, remember also that there are medications you can take as needed, like ativan. In low doses they really don't have nay terrible side efects, you jsut don't want ot depend on them.[ And they aren't like the old anti-anxiet stuff, they don't make you a zombie, jsut kind of calm you physically, and they are actually out of you r system in 4 or 5 hours ( So my doc says anyway! I have had a prescription for years, I don't alwyas take it, but I think the fact that I know it's there helps me to be calmer. ( You know- I guess it gives me the POWER to stop the anxiety, albeit pharmaceutically! )

Anyway thanks for looking for me, and yes, please let me know how tomorrrow goes. I'll be thinking of you-
    Kinsey

Closed Thread