It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Depression Message Board

• Y'All Are Scarin' Me Regarding Lexapro!

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 01-11-2006, 12:44 PM   #1
    Curious One
    Veteran
    (female)

Curious One HB UserCurious One HB UserCurious One HB UserCurious One HB UserCurious One HB UserCurious One HB UserCurious One HB UserCurious One HB User
    Y'All Are Scarin' Me Regarding Lexapro!

I went to my doctor this morning to talk about my hyper-irritability, turning situations that should rate a 1, 2, or 3 on the scale into 9s and 10s, inability to stay calm when annoyed, angry or irritated, getting angry too easily and yelling and cussing when I am angry or irritated. Those the only medical symptoms I have that are adversely affecting my life and my relationships. My doctor prescribed Lexapro.

Even before I went in this morning, I was already worried about side effects because several years ago I had anorgasmia with Paxil and Wellbutrin started to shut down my kidneys.

After reading tons of posts on Lexapro I AM SCARED about side effects -- especially sexual.

Please, if you've had a POSITIVE experience on Lexapro, will you take a minute to write about it? I need to know that I'm not walking into a hell hole.

Thank you, very much.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 01-11-2006, 01:07 PM   #2
    Kari7171
    (female)

Kari7171 HB User
    Re: Y'All Are Scarin' Me Regarding Lexapro!

I would like to know too. I am going to start taking it tomorrow.

Old 01-11-2006, 01:10 PM   #3
    razz123
    Inactive
    (male)

razz123 HB User

Lexapro is said to have a favourable side-effects profile in comparison to other meds in its class.Having said that, different people respond differently to anti-depressants.

I took Lexapro for just 15 days. Even in that short period, it gave me excellent results as far as stabilizing my mind/mood is concerned .

I would have greatly wished to continue on it, however I could not deal with the side effects. In my case they were :

-Bilateral Abdominal Pain
    -Nausea
    -Strange sensation in the gums
    -Sweating
    -Dry Mouth
    -Intermittent Headaches

But most importantly, a Liver Function Test conducted during this period showed moderately elevated Liver Enzymes. My Doctor suspected Lexapro and so I got off it.

On the positive side, it appeared to have increased my apetite.

But as I said beore, what applies to one person generally does not apply to another in case of Psychiatric meds.

Last edited by razz123; 01-11-2006 at 01:13 PM.

Old 01-11-2006, 01:14 PM   #4
    Curious One
    Veteran
    (female)

Curious One HB UserCurious One HB UserCurious One HB UserCurious One HB UserCurious One HB UserCurious One HB UserCurious One HB UserCurious One HB User

Razz, thanks so much for sharing. I really appreciate it. I am hoping for the best with my kidneys -- doc said we'll check in 3 weeks.

Kari, would you mind sharing your general symptoms/reasons for giving it a try?

I'm anxious to hear about any other positives out there. Thanks.

Old 01-11-2006, 01:18 PM   #5
    (male)

1010 HB User

I have been on Lexapro for 3 weeks, and it seems to be working for me. Only side effects I presently feel are drowsiness (so I take at night). No sexual side effects right now to report. I feel like myself more now than I did 3 week ago, so hopefully that is some positive news.

Good luck!

Old 01-11-2006, 01:21 PM   #6
    Kari7171
    (female)

Kari7171 HB User

Well I started taking Wellbutrin XL for depression 3 1/2 weeks ago. I am having a very hard time sleeping at night because of it. He said it can increase anxiety and cause sleeplessness. So he gave me the Lexapro to lower my anxiety level and that would help me to be able to relax and get to sleep. Lexapro is both an antidepressant and anti-anxiety.

Old 01-11-2006, 01:24 PM   #7
    Kari7171
    (female)

Kari7171 HB User

I wonder if I should take the Lexapro at night. My doctor said to take it in the morning at the same time I take my Wellbutrin XL but I don't want to be all sleepy in the morning.

Old 01-11-2006, 01:26 PM   #8
    razz123
    Inactive
    (male)

razz123 HB User

Unrelated to the topic, but I will say this :

I have never heard of anybody being "CURED" by SSRIs.
    Once you stop taking SSRIs, its only a matter of time before the "real you" would return. And according to some literature, the "real you" would be worse than before because your body has now gotten used to the SSRIs.

So unless you decide to take these meds for your entire life, believe me - SSRI is not the solution you are looking for.

Old 01-11-2006, 01:32 PM   #9
    Kari7171
    (female)

Kari7171 HB User

Yeah I have heard that too and wondered if I should take an SSRI. Then I also thought about how I have spent most of my life being depressed and finally at 35 decided to get help. So if I have to take something like that to not be depressed for the rest of my life then it would be worth it.

But then too my mom was taking an SSRI and switched to Wellbutrin which is not an SSRI and is doing fine and it did not mess her up.

Old 01-11-2006, 01:49 PM   #10
    Pete Nicely
    (male)

Pete Nicely HB User

That prognosis of "you have to be on SSRI's" you whole life is very scary. I'm on Prozac. I've had amazing results with no noticable side-effects. However, the one day I didn't take my dose until ate into the day, I felt awful. I do think I will continue to stay on the medication indefinitely until I find a good reason to get off.

Old 01-11-2006, 02:03 PM   #11
    razz123
    Inactive
    (male)

razz123 HB User

Kari,

I am a recent convert to anti-SSRI and anti-anxiety meds GANG.

And for good reason.

I am 35 and have been depressed for most of my life.
    I spent 25 years of my life in a third-world country where being depressed (or being anxious) was just part of your nature and not something you go to a shrink for. And I dealt with it just like most people deal with their other personality quirks.

Then I arrived in the US. Pretty soon I was told that I had been suffering from some jazzy disorders :
    -Obsessive Compulsive Disorder
    -Generalized Anxiety Disorder
    -Social Anxiety Disorder
    and the likes...

And before I knew it, I was on a myriad of SSRIs and Anti-anxiety meds (the latest in the line being Lexapro).

Besides my mental issues, I had no physical problems before I got on to these meds.

Now I have a whole range of Gastro-Intestinal problems going on. I also seem to have developed neuropathy.....

I cannot prove it...but I am convinced these psychiatric meds played their part in causing my physical problems.

I have realized there is a difference between being a ZOMBIE and being HAPPY.

Last edited by razz123; 01-11-2006 at 02:05 PM.

Old 01-11-2006, 02:09 PM   #12
    janart
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

janart HB User

The main GOOD thing that I noticed from Lexapro was that I looked forward to things and going places where as now I just want to sit on the couch lol. But the WORST thing I noticed was how it made my jaws feel. It was horrible!!

Old 01-11-2006, 02:09 PM   #13
    razz123
    Inactive
    (male)

razz123 HB User

Quote:
    Originally Posted by Pete Nicely
    I do think I will continue to stay on the medication indefinitely until I find a good reason to get off.
    For this reason exactly, these meds are such huge CASH COWS for pharma companies. No wonder the list of psychiatric DISORDERS keeps getting longer.
    The latest in the line :
    AVOIDANCE DISORDER

Old 01-11-2006, 02:10 PM   #14
    Kari7171
    (female)

Kari7171 HB User

Razz,

So are you saying the SSRI's are making you a zombie or happy? Do you regret taking them? Or are they helping you feel more happy?

Last edited by Kari7171; 01-11-2006 at 02:14 PM.

Old 01-11-2006, 02:13 PM   #15
    Kari7171
    (female)

Kari7171 HB User

I do agree with that how they have a name for all of these disorders is wrong. Every thing a person does that might be a little different or not completely positive they try to say it's a disorder.

Closed Thread