It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Depression Message Board

• Zoloft raises blood pressure?

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 01-13-2006, 05:41 AM   #1
    cartner
    Senior Veteran
    (male)

cartner HB Usercartner HB Usercartner HB Usercartner HB Usercartner HB Usercartner HB User
    Zoloft raises blood pressure?

Hello,

I have been diagnosed with Depression 1 week ago and my doctor put me on 25 mg Zoloft and 1 tablet of Motival daily. I noticed that my blood pressure got higher for the last 3 days (150-140/117-100) and I feel so tired . I know that each winter my blood pressure gets higher but with medication I was able to reduce it to normal levels. This time I can't do that, actually I have tried and increased my Cardiazim SR dosage from 2 x 90 mg daily, my blood pressure medicine, to 2 x 120 mg and I have added 50 mg of diuretic and still no results. So I wonder if it's the Zoloft and Motival?
    Thanks for help
    Michael

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 01-13-2006, 08:20 AM   #2
    nuttyprof.
    (male)

nuttyprof. HB User
    Re: Zoloft raises blood pressure?

Quote:
    Originally Posted by michaellabibat
    Hello,

I have been diagnosed with Depression 1 week ago and my doctor put me on 25 mg Zoloft and 1 tablet of Motival daily. I noticed that my blood pressure got higher for the last 3 days (150-140/117-100) and I feel so tired . I know that each winter my blood pressure gets higher but with medication I was able to reduce it to normal levels. This time I can't do that, actually I have tried and increased my Cardiazim SR dosage from 2 x 90 mg daily, my blood pressure medicine, to 2 x 120 mg and I have added 50 mg of diuretic and still no results. So I wonder if it's the Zoloft and Motival?
    Thanks for help
    Michael
    The newer antidepressants (Zoloft and the other SSRI's) are safe on the heart. That's one of the reasons they are used much more frequently than the older tricyclic's and MAOI's. They are recomended for people who are depressed and have had a heart attack in the past.

Old 01-13-2006, 08:55 AM   #3
    cartner
    Senior Veteran
    (male)

cartner HB Usercartner HB Usercartner HB Usercartner HB Usercartner HB Usercartner HB User

Yes but I just have read that one of the side effects of Zoloft is high blood pressure
    Thanks
    Michael

Old 01-13-2006, 09:22 AM   #4
    nuttyprof.
    (male)

nuttyprof. HB User

Quote:
    Yes but I just have read that one of the side effects of Zoloft is high blood pressure
    Thanks
    Michael
    Okay, I guess I was wrong. You already have the answer to your question. I would also double check with your prescribing doctor.

take care

Old 01-13-2006, 10:23 AM   #5
    Jennita
    Inactive
    (female)

Jennita HB User

Quote:
    Thanks
    Michael
    That can happen because serotonin itself is a vasoconstrictor, some is good(helps clotting) but too much isn't (constricts vessels causing higher blood pressure and stress on the heart).

Old 01-13-2006, 10:31 AM   #6
    nuttyprof.
    (male)

nuttyprof. HB User

Quote:
    Originally Posted by Jennita
    That can happen because serotonin itself is a vasoconstrictor, some is good(helps clotting) but too much isn't (constricts vessels causing higher blood pressure and stress on the heart).
    Did your doctor give you this imformation? I'm gonna ask my doc about this. I heard the ssri's can cause some heart palps but not necessarily high blood pressure. Do you know of anyone who has had a heart attack from Zoloft? I'm curious to know this myslef because i take the drug. I hope I don't drop dead.

Old 01-13-2006, 10:44 AM   #7
    Jennita
    Inactive
    (female)

Jennita HB User

Quote:
    Originally Posted by nuttyprof.
    Did your doctor give you this imformation? I'm gonna ask my doc about this. I heard the ssri's can cause some heart palps but not necessarily high blood pressure. Do you know of anyone who has had a heart attack from Zoloft? I'm curious to know this myslef because i take the drug. I hope I don't drop dead.
    Don't worry, lots of people take SSRi's and don't drop dead. But over time, it could be detriemental to heart/cardiovascular health.

No, a doctor did not tell me about serotonin and vasoconstriction. They mostly are in la-la land when it comes to antidepressants, only worried about the whole depression theory rather than the physical dangers. I've done alot of reading and of course the actual medical dictionary definition will tell you about serotonin being a vasoconstrictor.

Of course, when someone does end up with physical problems from drugs, docs can blame life itself (life can cause illness sure, but why encourage it with drugs that may) and use their medications/surgery to save the person. I'd personally rather skip all that, if I get ill with something in the future I will know it was fate not man-made.

Anyway, I certainly don't mean to alarm you, just enlighten you. You won't drop dead from an SSRi...unless you take the whole bottle I doubt you intend to do so!

SSRi's can have effects on the body eventually (after all, brain neuros control alot of hormone-neurological functions in the body) that could be adverse....although we know alot of people can be lucky; we are all different in our reactions/adaptations to drugs, foods, and other chemicals.

Old 01-13-2006, 10:53 AM   #8
    nuttyprof.
    (male)

nuttyprof. HB User

Quote:
    Don't worry, lots of people take SSRi's and don't drop dead. But over time, it could be detriemental to heart/cardiovascular health.

No, a doctor did not tell me about serotonin and vasoconstriction. They mostly are in la-la land when it comes to antidepressants, only worried about the whole depression theory rather than the physical dangers. I've done alot of reading and of course the actual medical dictionary definition will tell you about serotonin being a vasoconstrictor.

Of course, when someone does end up with physical problems from drugs, docs can blame life itself (life can cause illness sure, but why encourage it with drugs that may) and use their medications/surgery to save the person. I'd personally rather skip all that, if I get ill with something in the future I will know it was fate not man-made.

Anyway, I certainly don't mean to alarm you, just enlighten you. You won't drop dead from an SSRi...unless you take the whole bottle I doubt you intend to do so!

SSRi's can have effects on the body eventually (after all, brain neuros control alot of hormone-neurological functions in the body) that could be adverse....although we know alot of people can be lucky; we are all different in our reactions/adaptations to drugs, foods, and other chemicals.
    Thanks, you seem to be very knowledgable about this stuff. I do alot of reading about antidepressant drugs too but it gets confusing because doctors have different opinions. Like I said, I heard of the older antidepressants can contribute to some adverse reactions but I wasn't too sure about the ssri's. I think for right now though, I have to take my chances and stay on the Zoloft. Unfortunately, talk therapy didnt work too well for me. It's also kind of scary to think that psychiatrists are in "la la land."

Last edited by nuttyprof.; 01-13-2006 at 11:06 AM.

Old 01-13-2006, 11:05 AM   #9
    Jennita
    Inactive
    (female)

Jennita HB User

Quote:
    Thanks, you seem to be very knowledgable about this stuff. I do alot of reading about antidepressant drugs too but it gets confusing because doctors have different opinions. Like I said, I heard of the older antidepressants can contribute to some adverse reactions but I wasn't too sure about the ssri's. I think for right now though, I have to take my chances and stay on the Zoloft. Unfortunately, talk therapy didnt work too well for me.
    It's confusing because no solid science is behind the need for antidepressants. The serotonin-depression thing is actually a theory, not fact. They have no way of knowing if a person has enough/too little serotonin in their brains. LSD back in the 1960's experiments was found to mimic serotonin, and aside from the negative effects they found a positive one...mood lifting. But LSD was outlawed in 1968 so they had to go forth with a different route to serotonin aka eventually the SSRi's.

So these drugs definately can lift mood, but new studies show that over time they might actually damage the serotonin receptors. Downregulation of receptors is a common end to years of a receptor being exposed continually to a chemical.

Again, don't want to alarm you but just consider Zoloft as a temporary help for yourself, not a lifelong commitment, OK?

Last edited by Jennita; 01-13-2006 at 11:05 AM.

Old 01-13-2006, 11:12 AM   #10
    SOE
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

SOE HB UserSOE HB UserSOE HB UserSOE HB UserSOE HB UserSOE HB UserSOE HB User

Quote:
    So these drugs definately can lift mood, but new studies show that over time they might actually damage the serotonin receptors. Downregulation of receptors is a common end to years of a receptor being exposed continually to a chemical.
    I think I may be suffering from downregulation. I was on ADs for over 10 years, and though I have been off for over a year, I am struggling with depression. Didn't you say elsewhere that it's possible for the brain to repair itself eventually?

By the way, high blood preassure is also a side effect of Effexor.

Old 01-13-2006, 11:15 AM   #11
    nuttyprof.
    (male)

nuttyprof. HB User

Quote:
    It's confusing because no solid science is behind the need for antidepressants. The serotonin-depression thing is actually a theory, not fact. They have no way of knowing if a person has enough/too little serotonin in their brains. LSD back in the 1960's experiments was found to mimic serotonin, and aside from the negative effects they found a positive one...mood lifting. But LSD was outlawed in 1968 so they had to go forth with a different route to serotonin aka eventually the SSRi's.

Again, don't want to alarm you but just consider Zoloft as a temporary help for yourself, not a lifelong commitment, OK?
    Okay, thanks Jennita. I've been trying some other things too. I've been taking fish oils, a good multi vitamin and carefully watching my diet. I also try to get out and enjoy myself when I can. I've finally gotten back into exercising too. I've often wondered how long I might have to stay on psychiatric meds. I think because I've been on them for so long I'm also scared to go off of them. There might be some kind of placebo effect thing going on but I'm not sure. It could be a combination of the Zoloft, the other things I mentioned and a placebo.

I also want to aplogize to the starter of this thread. I didnt mean to get off the subject.

Old 01-13-2006, 11:18 AM   #12
    Jennita
    Inactive
    (female)

Jennita HB User

Quote:
    Okay, thanks Jennita. I've been trying some other things too. I've been taking fish oils, a good multi vitamin and carefully watching my diet. I also try to get out and enjoy myself when I can. I've finally gotten back into exercising too. I've often wondered how long I might have to stay on psychiatric meds. I think because I've been on them for so long I'm also scared to go off of them. There might be some kind of placebo effect thing going on but I'm not sure. It could be a combination of the Zoloft, the other things I mentioned and a placebo.

I also want to aplogize to the starter of this thread. I didnt mean to get off the subject.
    Sounds like you are doing the right things so maybe someday you'll be able to slowly wean off. Good luck to you!

Old 01-13-2006, 01:49 PM   #13
    cartner
    Senior Veteran
    (male)

Quote:

It's ok you don't have to aplogize . Anyway, I found the answer to my question online after I started the thread. What happened is very bad I can't get my blood pressure to normal levels although that I have increased my dosage of my blood pressure Med and added another one. As it has no effect at all although that I stopped the Zoloft. I'm going to see my doctor soon and I will tell him about that

I believe that Zoloft is not a safe medication for me and I think it's better for me to not take any of those medications
    Thanks
    Michael

Last edited by cartner; 01-13-2006 at 01:50 PM.

Closed Thread