It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Depression Message Board

• Celexa, Alcohol and Side Effects....

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 09-18-2002, 12:30 PM   #1
    aball22

aball22 HB User
    Post Celexa, Alcohol and Side Effects....

Hi, I am a lurker on this board and I this is my first post. I just have a few questions to anyone who can help me. By the way... this board is GREAT!! You people are so nice!!

Ok, I was on 10mg of Celexa for 2 weeks and LOVED it. I honestly noticed a difference by the 4th day. Even though people says it takes longer, I KNOW it was working. So many people noticed a difference in me. I started taking Lexapro (the new form of Celexa) because my doc wanted me to try it, and I immediatly started having anxiety attacks again, so I switched back to the 10mg of Celexa and feel GREAT again. My questions are...

One of my side effects is opposite of other peoples. Is it normal to have EXTREEME increase in libido instead of loss? I was tired at first but thats gone away, and most of the others have gone away too.

And I have read that its not ok to drink on this medication... but I am a college student and there is NO POSSIBLE WAY for me to get around drinking. I like to go out with my friends downtown... I have become a much more sociable person since starting this med also. And I enjoy being around people and my friends and having drinks... is this ok? I do drink quite a bit also. I go out about 3 nights a week and drink enough to feel drunk. Is this going to have an adverse effect on me? Thanks in advance.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 10-02-2002, 09:21 AM   #2
    alliephilly

alliephilly HB User
    Hello,
    Have you actually drank on it yet? I was just prescribed celexa & am on my 2nd day & haven't felt bad at all besides being groggy on it in the am. I am a student in college also & I plan to drink on it. My dr. just said to pace yourself because you may get drunk quicker. Cool w/ me .....sounds cheaper =)

Old 10-02-2002, 01:17 PM   #3
    siobhan

siobhan HB User
    Be very, very careful with Celexa and drinking. If I drank what for me would be a 'normal' amount, I would have a blackout. Which are horrible, I don't wish that on anyone, so please, be very careful.

Old 10-02-2002, 08:43 PM   #4
    Shelly2

Shelly2 HB User
    i HAVE BEEN ON pAXIL FOR 6 MONTHS NOW. i DO DRINK OFTEN, BUT i HAVE TO WATCH MYSELF i GET DRUNK MUCH FASTER NOW 4 BEERS AND iM DONE! IM AFREAID OF WHAT MAY HAPPEN IF I DID DRINK TO MUCH. YOUR BODY WILL LET YOU KNOW WHEN YOU HAVE HAD ENOUGH.

Old 10-02-2002, 10:06 PM   #5
    Blue4U2

I attempted to drink beer while on effexor... and, while it does not take much for me to feel tipsy anyway.. (I am not a drinker)...the effects were as if I HAD drank four. I was NOT feeling swell the next day.
    So I did some research... and have found that the main reason alcohol is not recommended with ssris and such is because many of them are respiratory suppressants....
    with alcohol added, your respiratory rate can fall below normal causing blackouts, passouts, and sometimes
    unconciousness.

Depending on how much you drink, this can be especially dangerous if your body wishes to reject the excess alcohol.... and you are unconscious...

(have you ever choked on your vomit?) It could kill you.

Blue

Closed Thread