HealthBoards

HealthBoards (https://www.healthboards.com/boards/)
-   Depression (https://www.healthboards.com/boards/depression/)
-   -   "Words of wisdom" (https://www.healthboards.com/boards/depression/35687-words-wisdom.html)

spungy 09-23-2002 09:03 AM

"Words of wisdom"

Hi Yal, :)
I get these wisdom tips in my e-mail and thought I'd share them.I've noticed that other people have had some great words of wisdom so feel free to share them on this post. We can call it the "words of wisdom post"
-------------------------------------------------------
How to react to stress?

Always accept that nothing can change circumstances as they are happening in your life, you canít never change people with whom you interact at that moment of interaction period. When an occurrence in your life is not of your liking, it is nonetheless taking place. You will be wasting energy by resisting; the only result of doing this is stress. Instead of avoiding what you donít like face what you feel, accept as part of life the need to process your negative emotions, think! Each time you work trough your fears and negative emotions you will be better prepare for your future. Accepting what it feels to go through circumstances or people we donít like, it is a good thing, it makes us a better person. You may at a much later time work on a well prepare plan on attempting to change others or your circumstances.
:)

spungy 09-23-2002 09:06 AM

How to deal with your fears?

All negative feelings are related to fear at the same time all positive ones are related to love, thus, doubt, anger, envy, vengeance, shame and jealousy are a form of fear on the other hand, trust, compassion, joy, gratitude, appreciation are associated to love. All emotions are an important part of ourselves and should be welcome and never avoided, when you detect a feeling coming to you, as it happens hundreds of time each day, let them in, do not resist them as to do so is to generate stress.
The best way to react to negative feelings of fear and doubt is to accept them as they come in to your body energy centers, as this happen internalize and experience the tension in your chest, pit of the stomach or throat, analyze your thoughts do not resist them. Remember, you can never change the person or event causing the pain, you can either react in anger and blame yourself or others for what is taking place or you can react with love and trust toward yourself another person or circumstance generating the fear

spungy 09-23-2002 09:08 AM

Don't Fret!

From the very moment we were born, we were dying. So why sweat the small stuff? Learn to accept things for face value and enjoy life. Cherish every moment as though it were your last because this is your last time you will see today.

spungy 09-23-2002 09:10 AM

Beating Self Consciousness

Although useful for learning about the impact you have on others, too much self-consciousness is the No.1 enemy of self-confidence. The trick is to be able to keep your attention off yourself when you need to. Here's how...When you feel self-conscious, (you can usually tell because you start to feel anxious), choose something outside of yourself to focus on and study it in detail. For example: examine a door, look at the different textures and shades of color, wonder about who made it and how and so on. The important thing is that you're learning how to keep your attention off yourself.

rebecarooni 09-23-2002 10:36 AM

Life's too short to dance with ugly men. LOL just kidding.

bev52 09-23-2002 07:32 PM

Ohhhhh!! ROFLMAO!

Thx rebe, you really made my night.

Love & Hugs,
Bev

rebecarooni 09-24-2002 09:14 AM

OK Bev, how about " Be nice to your children, they will pick your nursing home."

I am not making lite of this topic, I actually think it's great, it's just my wisdom well is REALLLLLLL shallow.

Lyli 09-24-2002 12:19 PM

On a "lighter note".....

"If it's not one thing, it's your mother!"

Lyli :wave:

rebecarooni 09-24-2002 12:59 PM

OK, I have been thinking about this all day... here goes:
Go placidly amid the noise and haste,
and remember what peace there may be in silence.
As far as possible, without surrender,
be on good terms with all persons.
Speak your truth quietly and clearly
and listen to others,
even to the dull and ignorant,
they too have their story.
Avoid loud and aggressive persons,
they are a vexation to the spirit.
If you compare yourself with others
you may become vain or bitter,
for always there will be greater
and lesser persons than yourself.
Enjoy your schievements as well as your plans,
keep interestedin your own career,
however humble,
it's a real possesion in the changing fortunes of time.
Exercise caution in your business affairs,
for the world is full of trickery.
But let this not blind you to what virtue there is,
many persons strive for high ideals
and everywhere life is full of heroism.
Be yourself.
Especially do not feign affection.
Neither be cynical about love,
for in the face of all aridity and disenchantment,
it is perennial as the grass grows.
Take kindly the counsel of the years.
Nurture strentgh of spirit
to shield yourself in sudden misfortune.
But do not distress yourself with dark imaginings.
Many fears are born of fatigue and lonliness.
Beyond a wholesome discipline,
be gentle with yourself.
You are a child of the universe
no less than the trees and the stars,
you have a right to be here.
And whether or not it is clear to you,
no doubt the universe is unfolding as it should.
Therefore, be at peace with God,
whatever you conceive him to be.
And what ever your labors and aspirations,
in the noisy confusion of life,
keep peace in your soul.
With all its sham, drudgery and broken dreams,
it is still a beautiful world.
Be cheerful.
Strive to be happy.

This poem is called the Desiderada and is basically how I try to face every day. It is on the wall above my desk, in my car and on my fridge at home. I guess you caould say it is my mission statement.

spungy 09-24-2002 01:03 PM

;)
"Along lifeís' way, be careful what you say. Make your choice of words soft and sweet. Because you'll never know which ones you will have to eat. "

[This message has been edited by spungy (edited 09-24-2002).]

spungy 09-24-2002 01:11 PM

No one can make you feel inferior without your consent.

--Eleanor Roosevelt :)

spungy 09-24-2002 01:13 PM

"You must be the change you wish to see in the world." --Mahatma Gandhi :)

MudPuppy 09-24-2002 01:35 PM

Only you can prevent forest fires..... oh wait, wrong saying. Well, never mind, I can't think of any.

bev52 09-24-2002 02:04 PM

Pay attention to your spirit, mind and body signals.

Smile at least five times a day, even if you don't feel like it.

Practice your humor skills every day.

You can't have a feeling without a thought first.

Call a friend and talk about THEIR life.

Thoughts will dissipate when you fill your time and get distracted. If you have time on your hands you will spend it worrying and obsessing, so it is better to get busy.

Thoughts, just thoughts, nothing but thoughts. Thoughts are just mental energy. Our interpretation of thoughts makes all the difference in the world. It is essential that we remember that we have a choice about how far we go with a thought.

It is critical that you see the relationship stress plays in an episode of scary thinking. With careful observation you will see that there is a connection between a rising stress level and a rise, in racing scary thoughts. Instead of being frightened, view it as a signal to do some stress management.

Best wishes,
lepi

rebecarooni 09-25-2002 05:37 AM

Where ever you go, you will always be there.
Drive slow, drink milk.

Remember that kindness is a gift that is as wonderful to give as receive.