It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Depression Message Board

Wellbutrin & Effexor

Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 10-01-2002, 01:06 PM   #1
catgirl
Senior Veteran

catgirl HB User
Post Wellbutrin & Effexor

Hi again all

I'm currently taking 150 mg of Effexor, which I'm glad to report is doing fantastic. I've never been happier.

I just recently (3 weeks ago) started taking 150mgs of Wellbutrin to try & stop smoking.

My question is has anyone else noticed emotional episodes such as fits of crying at the drop of the hat or becoming emotionally exhausted after a trying day?

P.S. I will be going to the doctor on 10/9 & will discuss this with her, but kinda wanted to know your thoughts on the matter. I also have a sneaking suspicion that she would want to increase the amount of Effexor to combat the emotional upsets that the Wellbutrin seems to be causing & I'm just not sure that is the route to go right now. I'm thinking it might be better to just quit the Wellbutrin all together & give up on the smoking ceasetion. What do you all think?

Thanks Cat

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 10-02-2002, 04:35 PM   #2
MudPuppy
Inactive

MudPuppy HB User
Cat, funny you should mention Effexor and Wellbutrin. I got my doc to switch me from Effexor to Wellbutrin, because I wanted it to help me quit smoking. Well, once I got past the withdrawls of Effexor and had been on Wellbutrin for a while, I was still smoking. So I guess it didn't work for me.
But the great thing about it is that I feel so much better today than before when I was on the Effexor. I believe I finally found the meds that work for me (and I had thought Effexor was the best). Best of all, I don't suffer severe side effects.
I can tell you this. Those three weeks I was going off the Effexor while starting Wellbutrin, my emotions got a bit out of whack. For the most part though, I was able to recognize that and watch for any emotional episodes.
I don't know about the interaction between the two. That is about all I can tell you about what I went through.

Good luck to you in stopping the smoking. I gave up for now. Will try again when I feel ready to quit.

Muddy

Old 10-02-2002, 08:00 PM   #3
Blue4U2

I had fits of crying on effexor. I also asked to be put on wellbutrin for smoking.

It did not work.

Perhaps a dosage adjustment is in order since you are taking both.

Good luck!

Old 10-03-2002, 02:08 PM   #4
catgirl
Senior Veteran

catgirl HB User
Thanks for your replies.

I have decided to give up on the smoking cessation & have quit taking the Wellbutrin.

I had been taking the Wellbutrin for about a month & nothing was happening as far as my ability to quit Smoking.

Now that I have quit taking the Wellbutrin I am back to being happy again. No more crying fits. Go figure!

Once again, thanks for your replies. It is amazing how differenct medications react to different peoples systems. Cat

Old 10-04-2002, 06:58 AM   #5
catgirl
Senior Veteran

catgirl HB User
Muddy,

I was thinking about this last night & since your in the same boat as I, I thought I ought to share this with you.

Several years ago, prior to my bout with depression, I was placed on Wellbutrin in order to help in Smoking cessation. It worked wonderfully. I was able to quit for 3 weeks. The only reason I resumed smoking was because no one informed me that I would go through a mild depression.

Now that I have big time depression & am on Effexor for treatment of the depression & asked for the Wellbutrin in order to stop smoking again. I have noticed that the Wellbutrin, like you, does not work.

Raises any thoughts there for you? Does me. It's seem quite obvious (& of course this is my assumption only) that while people are in the throws of depression that the medicine is being targeted towards the area of the brain where the depression lies rather than on the portion of the brain for cravings for smoking cessation. What do you think? Cat

Old 10-04-2002, 10:23 AM   #6
MudPuppy
Inactive

MudPuppy HB User
Cat,

Your assessment makes perfect sense to me. The good thing about this is that the Wellbutrin is helping me better than the Effexor. But of course different drugs work differently from person to person. The Effexor was working, although I was having some bad side effects that I had tried to work through. I guess Wellbutrin doesn't help with weight loss either if you are also taking it for depression.

Old 10-06-2002, 10:59 AM   #7
junebug2068

junebug2068 HB User
Hi guys!

I have been wondering about Wellbutrin also. I just quit Zoloft and started taking Wellbutrin. This is only the second day so I'm waiting it out, but so far I just feel agitated. Short fuse. I hope this gets better.

Also, Wellbutrin doesn't do anything for anxiety, does it? I think I was better off on Zoloft. It worked great...but the "sexual side-effect" thing. Thought I'd try this, plus, wellbutrin is supposed to kind of give you more energy I think.

Any thoughts?

juney

Old 10-06-2002, 11:43 AM   #8
catgirl
Senior Veteran

catgirl HB User
Junebug,

The initial jittery feeling you are experiencing is the drug getting into your system. It will get worse before it gets better. Usually it lasts about 2 weeks. This is the phase that everyone talks about "the hightened energy level". As the Wellbrutin takes hold the hightened energy level & jitterness will dissapte.

As far as combating the sexual side effects of other A/D's Wellbutrin works great. Anxiety, don't think it allievates any anxiety at all.

Good luck & let us know how it goes. Cat

Old 10-07-2002, 01:41 PM   #9
gingerdew

gingerdew HB User
Correct me if I am wrong but my dr. told me that zoloft and wellbutrin are the same drug. He gave me zoloft several years ago to help me stop smoking. Worked well until I was off of it and a crisis came up and I gave in once again to smoking. Went about 6 months. When my depression struck last year first drug he tried was wellbutrin since I had had good luck with it for the smoking. Only lasted on it a month before my body decided it no longer liked this med (broke out with mouth sores..a very rare side effect) so I had to switch meds. It was helping the depression the second time around but didn't touch the smoking issue. So I really think it may be true that it can't deal with both at the same time. Good Luck .

Old 10-07-2002, 05:20 PM   #10
junebug2068

junebug2068 HB User
Hi Gingerdew,
I think you are thinking of Zyban. Zoloft and Wellbutrin are different.
Junebug

Closed Thread