It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Depression Message Board

Depression questions...

Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 10-20-2002, 10:16 PM   #1
Misty800
Senior Veteran
(female)

Misty800 HB UserMisty800 HB UserMisty800 HB UserMisty800 HB UserMisty800 HB UserMisty800 HB UserMisty800 HB UserMisty800 HB UserMisty800 HB UserMisty800 HB UserMisty800 HB User
Post Depression questions...

When a person is depressed, do they do the following:

1. Blame their family for everything that is not right in their life?

2. Vent frustrations on one particular person in their family, even if tho they may be innocent?

3. Is a depressed person usually sweet one time and hateful another time?

4. If they are still single and over 40 do they blame others because Mr. Right has not rounded the corner?

5. Do depressed people have difficulty in realizing they need help instead of their life problems not being caused by others?

6. What can others do to help a depressed person who denies being depressed?

7. Do depressed people seem to stay frustrated at little things all the time?

8. Do depressed people become agitated at little things and build mountains out of mole hills?

9. Do depressed people pick everything to pieces looking for something negative?

10. Are depressed people usually aggressive drivers, can't stand to be behind another vehicle, must be in front of the pack?

11. Are depressed people usually so well organized they are unable to get anything done?

12. Are depressed people procrastinators, accomplishing little in the same time span others would be able to do things and have spare time?

Need to know as much as possible about depression and how it affects a person.

Thanks,

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 10-20-2002, 11:16 PM   #2
clouds
Inactive

clouds HB User
yeah it may be all depression

------------------
.o4 breathalyzer is safer and lower in rhode island-

Old 10-21-2002, 02:34 AM   #3
west virginia girl
Senior Veteran

west virginia girl HB User
hi.....the best thing probably to do would be search the web and you can find out alot of stuff on depression and how to help people who have it and how to cope with it. the thing is the questions you are asking are good ones but you can't really stereotype depression cause not everyone is going to have the same sypmtons as someone else. the only advice i can give is never blame someone for having depression cause it's not their fault,they are probably wondering what is wrong with them and are scared. i don't know if you have the depression or someone you know but i commend you for wanting answers and to help.

Old 10-21-2002, 02:35 AM   #4
Zat

Zat HB User
There are links at the top of the page (when viewing all posts in this forum) open the dropdown menu and choose the 'Mental Health' link. There is some info there that may help answer your questions. Also, just read through past posts here.

You could go to the library, should be a wealth of books on depression. You could ask any Mental Health Professional for info. There are good sites all over the internet to get information.

You can also ask your questions here and I'm sure that someone will try and help you out with any questions that you have.

The symtems for depression range widely, also there are different types of depression. Bi-Polar, Uni-Poler, Major Deppressive Disorder are just a few types.

Now, as to your list of questions, yes, depression can have many symtems and those you list could all be caused by depression.

The first thing is to rule out any medical conditions that can mimic depression. A malfunctioning thyroid is one such condition.

hope this has been helpful for you, just remember... any other questions you may have just post it, someone will try to help you out.

take care,
Zat

Old 10-21-2002, 04:37 PM   #5
Misty800
Senior Veteran
(female)

Misty800 HB UserMisty800 HB UserMisty800 HB UserMisty800 HB UserMisty800 HB UserMisty800 HB UserMisty800 HB UserMisty800 HB UserMisty800 HB UserMisty800 HB UserMisty800 HB User
Thanks everyone. Appreciate your answers and yes, I will probably have more questions as time goes by.

Actually I do have a question now. How do you get a family member suspected of being depressed to go to a doctor and find out what the problem really is instead of remaining miserable and making others miserable around them? Seems that if you ask them to go they will become defensive and insist there is nothing wrong with them but everyone else has a problem.

Thanks

Old 10-22-2002, 05:21 AM   #6
skylan

skylan HB User
Hi Marie 55
Your post sounded just like my mother is acting. She is making all of us miserable.
All 4 of us children are married,so my dad gets all kind of verbal abuse from mother. I am 54 and the oldest sibling, so I catch a lot also. It breaks my heart to hear some of the things she says to dad.
I reconize mothers actions as depression, since I have dealt with it all my life. We have tried to get her to see a doctor, but she thinks we're all crazy.
Simple things like a neighbor bring her vegtables from the garden will set her off, because she doesn't want to cook them, so, instead of her giving them to someone else, she'll explode, and call me rasing cane, and saying they should know she doesn't feel like cooking them. Other things, like exploding because dad tracked grass in on his feet can set her off big time.
Mother is 73, and has always wore the pants in the family. I have often wished dad would put a stop to it, but he says it only makes things worse.
I don't know what to do, but hopefully someone on this board can help us.
My prayers go with you.
Good Luck
Sky

Old 10-23-2002, 03:20 PM   #7
nlathers
Inactive

nlathers HB User
Smile

Hi,
I'm sorry you're having a hard time and it appears you've come here in part to vent. Are you really concerned about this person or is it more the case, that they are a pain in the butt to you? The reason I ask is that items nos. 1-5 really have more to do with personality, not mental illness. On the other hand items 7-11, I am not by any means a professional but on the face of it sounds a LITTLE like compulsive/obsessive behavior BUT you need to get the opinion of a qualified professional.
In spite of what others above have said, I see no definitive indication in your post that this person suffers from depression. You should ask them fundamental questions such as do they feel sad or 'blue' much of the time?, do they sleep too much or have trouble sleeping?, eat more or less than they used to? These are some of the basic symptoms of depression, many of the other thing are more extraneous.

Old 10-23-2002, 08:27 PM   #8
west virginia girl
Senior Veteran

west virginia girl HB User
i'm tellin you guys one thing,when this depression set in i would have gave all the money in the world to get to the doctor http://www.healthboards.com/ubb/bang.gif i was losing my mind!!!!
((( and hugs to everyone)))

Closed Thread