It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Depression Message Board

Temporary non-addicting medications??

Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 11-01-2002, 06:29 AM   #1
RachLuvJun
(female)

RachLuvJun HB User
Post Temporary non-addicting medications??

Hi all. Let me start by saying that from what I've read throughout these healthboards, it seems to be a great community of caring and supportive people. I am writing because I may need to start some sort of medication for anxiety/depression due to certain circumstances in my life...I'll try to make the story quick. I was injured at the age of 23 in a car accident 5 years ago. I hurt my back. I've had 3 surgeries (2 fusions) I have been in and out of work (mostly out) and have gotten really lonely. I am single and live alone, so being cooped up at home is really depressing. I just had a fusion on Sept. 20th and after being on narcotics for the last 8months am withdrawling. The meds have done their toll on me both emotionally and physcially. I wasn't told about the physcial dependance you can build up and I didn't even take as much as my doctor told me to. well needless to say this has all caused me to develop depression and anxiety. This back problem has caused me to doubt my future, to wonder if i will ever be able to live a pain free life and meet someone, to return to work regularly, etc. People tell me all will be fine, but when you've been dealing with something for five years and put faith in surgery three times, you start to become hopeless. I was put on a few different meds after the last surgery last year for anxiety and they didn't work..mostly because I was having trouble with the narcotics at the same time. So the Doctor said I could stop until we straightened out getting off the narcotics. I am now weaning and down to 2mg of dilaudid every 5 hours or so. (still having withdrawl anxiety). I think I need to start up with an anti anxiety/depression medicine to get me through this rough patch, but I am sooo concerned about taking something that won't be easy to stop. I never want to go through this again. I want a medicine that I can take, and when I get back out into the world again without pain, I can discontinue. I would also like to have children someday and don't want something that could harm that. My depression/anxiety is always connected with being out of work. when I am out socializing and working, I am fine. when I have to leave work and am home alone everyday I get anxious and depressed. Are there any meds. that are safe and nonhabbit forming? I've tried effexor, paxil, zoloft, remeron, (separately) and none touched the anxiety with the last surgery (which as I said a lot of the anxiety could have been caused by the narcotics I was on). I just feel I need to take something to get these hopeless, thinking life is all downhill from here feelings out of my mind. Thanks for any advice.

Rae

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 11-01-2002, 11:33 AM   #2
sarahh5883

sarahh5883 HB User
Hi!

I'm sorry to hear about the tough times you are going through. I'm not sure what meds will work for you b/c everyone reacts differently but it didn't look like you have tried celexa yet. Celexa may be more for depression than anxiety I'm not sure but I was on it and had no problem when I stopped taking it. As with any anit-depressant it takes weeks to fully get in your system so I'm assuming by short term you mean more than a few weeks. Anyways, good luck sorry I couldn't be of more help. Keep us posted on how you are doing!

Sarah

Old 11-01-2002, 02:06 PM   #3
Delphi

Delphi HB User
Hi Rae,

I tried several ADs before recently trying : PROZAC.
I love prozac.

Nothing else helped at all.

Maybe you could ask your doc about it?

Just an idea.

I wish you pain-free health and a decent anti-depressant to help for a while.

Love,
Delph

Old 11-04-2002, 11:38 PM   #4
Megherc
Inactive

Megherc HB User
Prescription antihistamines help anxiety and sleep...could be addicting but not as bad as some other meds like benzodiazepines(very addictive) or antidepressants...another idea could be OTC antihistamines like benedryl which are pretty weak but could help.

Most prescription drugs for anxiety and/or depression will have withdrawal/dependancy issues, unfortuately.

Closed Thread