It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Depression Message Board

• Insomnia causes depression?

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 02-01-2006, 09:59 PM   #1
    Natalie00
    Inactive
    (female)

Natalie00 HB User
    Insomnia causes depression?

I was curious if anyone developed or had insomnia long before they were depressed? I read several studies online that say long term insomnia can cause depression. We have all heard that depression can cause insomnia, but what about the other way around? I had insomnia starting at age 4 (no, really) and didn't develope depression until age 12. I still have insomnia and haven't slept a night w/o my sleeping pills since age 15, even when I was sick with mono.

Last edited by Natalie00; 02-01-2006 at 09:59 PM.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 02-01-2006, 10:19 PM   #2
    karen82252
    (female)

karen82252 HB User
    Re: Insomnia causes depression?

I can't remember when I slept good. I have been on Xanax for sleeping for 10 years. Before that, I did not rest well. I could not turn off my brain.
    Sometimes I still do that when I have had extra sleep. I have been depressed since I was 19 and am now 53 years old. I've only been on meds 15 years. I would not give in to admit there was depression there. I do know if you don't sleep properly you are not rested so it would make sense insomnia could possibly cause depression. My daughter took Ritalin for 5 years and the insomnia was terrible. One side effect to Ritalin is depression and that is one of the reasons I took her off of it. 12 years later she still has depression but will not take meds - doesn't want to be like her mom and live out of a bottle she says. I think in her case the drug caused the insomnia and the insomnia caused the depression.

Old 02-02-2006, 07:17 AM   #3
    SylAlien
    (male)

SylAlien HB User

yeah i used to get insomnia all the time and it wouldlead to severe depression, like where i never felt so down in my life

Old 02-02-2006, 02:33 PM   #4
    Natalie00
    Inactive
    (female)

Natalie00 HB User

Hey guys,
    Do you take any sleep medicine? I have been taking trazadone for about 2 years now and I sleep great. Without it, I don't sleep at all. I have read all those books that guarantee to teach you good sleep hygeine and nothing has helped. Do you have any tips? Obviously, I would like to sleep without a pill, but I don't see it happening.

Old 02-03-2006, 05:40 AM   #5
    IceSkater
    (female)

IceSkater HB User

I also take trazadone to help me sleep...been taking it for 3 yrs. Without it I wouldn't get much sleep at all. Last year I was able to go off of it for awhile and was sleeping great. But I developed alot of anxiety along with depression and had to go back on the trazadone.

The only thing that helps me to sleep better is when I work out in the yard for hours or take long walks with my dogs.

I believe that insomnia can cause us to become depressed. After all you become exhausted from lack of sleep and the mind needs a good rest to work right.

Closed Thread