It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Depression Message Board

• Efforex Question

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 01-08-2003, 10:42 AM   #1
    syndicate

syndicate HB User
    Question Efforex Question

Hi,

I posted a day back about how I just started on Efforex, and I can truely say it works wonder dealing with life. However, the first day after I took it my sleeping experience was anything but normal. All night I was thinking nonstop, a mile a minute. I'm not quite sure if I actually got any sleep that night, but if I did it would only about 4 hours. Last night being the second night, I thought surely I would have a good night sleep because I was so drained out from the lack of sleep (sleeping at regular 11pm time). When I started to try and goto sleep, I found myself relaxing and noddin off. But then as I thought of the night before, my mind started racing again and I tried to just think about something a bit more calming. I eventually got to sleep... only to wake up about an hour later with the craziest and most bizzare event i have ever experienced from a nightmere. I woke up and I was thinking about something terrible,.. I can't quite explain it because I can't quite remember. I am still shocked as to the actual pain of the experience,.. it passed in 20-30 seconds i'm guessing.. Holy that was scarey... has anyone else experienced something like this? and will it go away or get worse?

.. I can say tho, the rest of my sleeping that night was eventless and I woke up at 10am.. Feeling rested today, all is well except the fact I'm not looking forward to the next time I have to goto sleep. :/

Thanks,
    Josh

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 01-08-2003, 02:17 PM   #2
    syndicate

syndicate HB User
    I see some people talking about the side affects of trying to get off efforex, but could some of these affects maybe happen to people getting on it.

Like these "brain shocks" I've seen mentioned once or twice.. brain shock describes exactly what i felt last night.

Old 01-08-2003, 02:41 PM   #3
    lilmissme
    Inactive

lilmissme HB User
    Syndicate,

Here's a list of side effects:

Common Side Effects:
    Check with your doctor if any of the following side effects continue or are bothersome:

Abnormal dreams; anxiety or nervousness; chills; constipation; diarrhea; dizziness; drowsiness; dryness of mouth; heartburn; increased sweating; loss of appetite; nausea; stuffy or runny nose; stomach pain or gas; tingling, burning, or prickly sensations; trembling or shaking; trouble in sleeping; unusual tiredness or weakness; vomiting; weight loss

Less Common Side Effects:
    Check with your doctor if any of the following side effects continue or are bothersome:

Change in sense of taste; muscle tension; yawning

Brain Shivers - Intermittent dizziness, sometimes accompanied by vision problems. Usually -- though not always -- associated with (1) missing a dose of Effexor or (2) tapering off Effexor (or other med) too quickly.

Hope this helps a little!!

Lilmissme http://www.healthboards.com/ubb/heart.gif

[This message has been edited by lilmissme (edited 01-08-2003).]

Old 01-08-2003, 02:43 PM   #4
    lilmissme
    Inactive

lilmissme HB User
    Syndicate,

Here's a list of side effects:

Common Side Effects:

Abnormal dreams; anxiety or nervousness; chills; constipation; diarrhea; dizziness; drowsiness; dryness of mouth; heartburn; increased sweating; loss of appetite; nausea; stuffy or runny nose; stomach pain or gas; tingling, burning, or prickly sensations; trembling or shaking; trouble in sleeping; unusual tiredness or weakness; vomiting; weight loss

Less Common Side Effects:

Change in sense of taste; muscle tension; yawning

Brain Shivers - Intermittent dizziness, sometimes accompanied by vision problems, weird dreams Usually -- though not always -- associated with (1) missing a dose of Effexor or (2) tapering off Effexor (or other med) too quickly.

Hope this helps a little!!

Lilmissme http://www.healthboards.com/ubb/heart.gif

MODS please delete one post!! Oops!

[This message has been edited by lilmissme (edited 01-08-2003).]

Old 01-08-2003, 03:03 PM   #5
    syndicate

syndicate HB User
    Thx!

Abnormal dreams is the only that could describe it, even though I don't recall any of my dreams that night. I only remember waking up and thinking about this thing which I have described above.

Its almost as if just thinking about this thought caused extreme pain, and as I brought my thoughts to something else.. it went away.

However I'll say it again now, even weighing in this experience.. I don't regret starting on this drug.

[This message has been edited by syndicate (edited 01-08-2003).]

Old 01-08-2003, 05:52 PM   #6
    lilmissme
    Inactive

lilmissme HB User
    Syndicate,

I'm very glad that you're happy with starting Effexor and it's working for you. That's fabulous. Even though the side effects suck, they will subside. I hope you have a better experience with this than I did!(absolutely horrible)

BTW - I just sent you a message via icq...so I don't know if you got it..or if you're away from the comp...or what. Just thought I'd let you know and it's not under this name-----

Lilmissme

Old 01-09-2003, 12:50 PM   #7
    justme-

justme- HB User
    I started on effexor last week. Since I have been having trouble sleeping my Dr said to take benadryl before bed. I think its helping.

Old 01-09-2003, 01:30 PM   #8
    syndicate

syndicate HB User
    It's wierd, I feel the effects of Efforex say hour after I take it, even the first time. I use to be heavily into extacy and mush, and the rest.. it feels just like the coming up of a drug like that.
    --

Anyways..

Took me 30 or so minutes to get to sleep, not bad.. I had eventless sleep, no dreams or nightmares what so ever! Feel great now

My doctor said that these anti-depressants are not a quick fix and it won't make all your problems go away.. However I can say thats exactly what it has done. It's as if the world has taken on a new dimension, so much more meaning has been added.. Speachless almost.. It's as if I'm dreaming (but totally contious, I don't even feel drugged up) right now.

Maybe this euphoria will subside, but I can all I can say right now.. Is this damn nice!!

--

Before in school I could barely sit through a whole class,. my concentration was anything but on what the teacher was teaching. I almost feel cheated that I could not have been put on Effexor before I had graudated from highschool. I would probably be in university right now.. But there is still hope, because right now I'm upgrading my classes and I should get in this September!

-Josh

Old 01-10-2003, 11:59 PM   #9
    ChristineF

ChristineF HB User
    Thumbs up

I have been taking Efexor for 3 years, I have found it has worked wonders, no side effects to start, the only real one is the loss of libido. Does anyone else notice this and if so, what have you done about it or what medications have been prescribed?

I would also like to add, that I understand how everyone feels starting on any antidepressants - Ihad some trial and errors before the Efexor. I have heard the stories about coming off it.

------------------
    Christine

Old 01-11-2003, 12:11 AM   #10
    syndicate

syndicate HB User
    Heh, I really have to quiet down about how wonderful Efforex is and just live life.. I find it almost impossible not to tell everyone I know about how my life has changed.. and it's only been 4 days.. funny thing is, I'm only on starting dosage of 37.5mg per day - doubles on Sunday. I am almost reluctant to want to start on this higher dosage just because it can get so intense sometimes..

Once I've actually got to sleep the last two nights, i've had great rest and woke up at 8am. Which is amazing in itself as I was previously oversleeping till 2-3pm in the afternoon. I always felt like I was sleeping the day's away, and I always felt so tired after I got up -- oversleeping. I find it difficult to settle down a go to sleep now,.. I've already tried going to sleep once tonight, but I just have too much energy. So here I am posting this message,..

But I really should try and get to sleep,

Sweet dreams n' good Night,
    Josh

Old 01-11-2003, 12:36 AM   #11
    pinkcat

pinkcat HB User
    glad you are feeling so much better. i took effexor and felt great. i had no side effects and when i went off of it i was fine. i took 37.5 mg a day and felt wonderful.

Old 01-11-2003, 08:18 AM   #12
    badgirl

badgirl HB User
    The people I know that have been on Effexor have terrible dreams and coming off it was terrible too!!! Badgirl

Old 07-09-2007, 06:25 AM   #13
    camac
    (female)

camac HB User
    Re: Efforex Question

I have been taking Efforex for almost 3 weeks now, and I can honestly say that my anxiety and sadness are almost non existant. I am surprised because my doctor said it would take 4 to 6 weeks before I noticed anything. But on the flip side I have been having horrible fatigue. I can barely keep myself awake for more than 3 hours. I have spent my last 2 weekends sleeping for 10 and 12 hours at a time. Definately not a usual thing for me to do. Has anyone else expereienced this kind of fatigue with this drug, and does it eventually go away?

Old 07-09-2007, 09:50 AM   #14
    positivity17
    Veteran
    (female)

positivity17 HB User
    Re: Efforex Question

I took effexor for almost a year with great success, it gave me back my life so I identify with your enthusiasm for feeling so good, enjoy it!! I never had side effects not even when stopping but my libido was slowed down a bit. I remember having to kind of force myself to get interested in my man initially and then I was fine and things flowed. I wish everyone a good experience with this med......

Closed Thread