It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Depression Message Board

• Paxil and Effexor Withdrawal

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 02-07-2006, 10:54 AM   #1
    Spin444
    Inactive
    (female)

Spin444 HB User
    Paxil and Effexor Withdrawal

Hello, just a word to the wise about withdrawal from Paxil and Effexor. While many psych meds, especially SSRIs, are difficult to withdraw from, Paxil and Effexor can seem almost impossible to quit taking because the withdrawal symptoms can be so severe. Please, never quit cold turkey and always take the weaning advice from your doctor with a grain of salt, since their advice is often far too fast. Do a search on weaning guides before you start. It's good to be aware of these things, especially if you're thinking about taking the drugs in the first place. Many of us weren't warned at all. I wish to God that my sister and I had never taken Paxil. It was the worst experience of our lives and didn't do a thing to improve our mental states - the very opposite was true.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 02-07-2006, 12:10 PM   #2
    tertree
    (female)

tertree HB User
    Re: Paxil and Effexor Withdrawal

I went cold turkey off paxil 3 weeks ago. this is second time first time i had side effects like horrible nightmares etc. so i went back on.
    this time i have been fine until past few days.
    my depression is back everything in my life is great i should feel happy but im mopey, moody, cant focus on any one thing, and just dont have a real good outlook on life right now.
    Do i need to go back on it? or will this all go away soon?
    I went on paxil 7 months ago when my son went to Iraq this was just to help with the anxiety of him being over there. I felt so much better when i was on it but gained weight and now that he is home i thought great i feel better ill stop. so i did.
    I really dont want to call dr. about it so if you paxil people can help me out Id appreciate it.

Old 02-07-2006, 03:54 PM   #3
    Spin444
    Inactive
    (female)

Spin444 HB User

Paxil withdrawal can leave you in a bad place, that's for sure. Let me get this straight - you've quit cold turkey for the second time? That's the worst way to quit taking Paxil. The withdrawal symptoms include depression and anxiety, along with the dizzy, nauseous, headachey feeling. Nightmares are common. It's a powerful drug and your brain has to readapt, but it's really best to wean off the drug very slowly. It usually takes months for anyone who's been on it for any length of time. If you can't get the liquid suspension form (not sure if it's still available), get a pill cutter and reduce the amount slowly, not more than 2.5mgs and stay at each lowered dose until you start feeling better. The last drop to zero is often when the symptoms are the worst, but everyone is different. Maybe you'll do fine. Drink a LOT of liquids during this time - water, Gatorade or Pedialite and take a complex B vitamin.

Good luck!

Old 02-07-2006, 05:11 PM   #4
    MellyMel
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

MellyMel HB User

I've been weaning off Effexor and almost completely done. I have been doing excellent so far, I do feel that I am much more irritated easily, snappy, and loud noises still seem to make me jumpy and bother my nerves. But ya know what? This is something I can live with if this is as bad as it's going to get. I was only on 37.5 mg. a day, which may be low to what some others are on that have tried weaning, but I just wanted to voice and say that I have not had any severe side effects and as of Friday, I'm done period. I'm excited.

Good luck to all of you. Anxiety and depression suck!

Melly

Old 02-07-2006, 07:55 PM   #5
    tertree
    (female)

tertree HB User

how lomg does it take to get it out of our system all the way?

Old 02-08-2006, 05:35 AM   #6
    daftthing
    (female)

daftthing HB User

A couple of years back I was taking 150mg Venlafaxine (Effexor) but couldn't tolerate the side effects, so my Dr decided to switch me to Fluoxetine (Prozac). He told me to simply stop taking the Effexor and start the Prozac ........... I'm wondering if he actually was a Dr. Never again!!

Old 02-08-2006, 10:49 PM   #7
    trg247
    Senior Veteran
    (male)

trg247 HB Usertrg247 HB Usertrg247 HB User

I went straight from Paxil 60mg to Effexor 150mg the next day and was lucky enough not to have any side effects

take care
    trg247
    Generalized Anxiety Disorder

Current Meds
    Pristiq
    Cymbalta
    Seroquel
    Temazapam

Old 02-09-2006, 06:35 AM   #8
    December716

December716 HB User

If you are attempting to come off of Effexor or Paxil and have serious side-effects, even with weaning, you can get the doctor to prescribe Prozac to help cut the side effects of the original AD. It's much easier to stop Prozac than Paxil or Effexor.

I could not stop Paxil when I was on it. I'd get weaned down to 5-10mg and I'd get way too sick when I'd attempt to wean down to nothing. It was really scary. Eventually, I was switched to Cymbalta, so if I did go through withdrawal, I don't know it.

Just a side note: Effexor has a rare withdrawal disorder associated with it, whereby the withdrawal symptoms never go away, no matter how long you've been off of it, and you basically end up having to be on Effexor for the rest of your life.

Old 02-09-2006, 08:27 AM   #9
    SOE
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

SOE HB UserSOE HB UserSOE HB UserSOE HB UserSOE HB UserSOE HB UserSOE HB User

Quote:
    Originally Posted by December716
    Just a side note: Effexor has a rare withdrawal disorder associated with it, whereby the withdrawal symptoms never go away, no matter how long you've been off of it, and you basically end up having to be on Effexor for the rest of your life.
    I spent 10 months tapering off of Effexor, and I have been completely off for 17 months. Granted I still have a couple of issues, like memory loss -- which I'm not sure I'll ever recover from, but for the most part I am feeling so much better being off of it.

Old 02-11-2006, 02:21 PM   #10
    sgt207
    (male)

sgt207 HB User

Glad to see you are doing better SOE!!!!

Quote:
    Originally Posted by sickofeffexor
    I spent 10 months tapering off of Effexor, and I have been completely off for 17 months. Granted I still have a couple of issues, like memory loss -- which I'm not sure I'll ever recover from, but for the most part I am feeling so much better being off of it.

Old 02-11-2006, 09:06 PM   #11
    SOE
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

SOE HB UserSOE HB UserSOE HB UserSOE HB UserSOE HB UserSOE HB UserSOE HB User

Quote:
    Originally Posted by sgt207
    Glad to see you are doing better SOE!!!!
    Thanks Sgt! It's always so nice to hear from you! It's just been the last few days that I can say that I noticeably feel physically better. What a long process it can be to come off this stuff!

How are you doing? How's the practice?

SOE

Last edited by SOE; 02-11-2006 at 09:08 PM.

Old 02-12-2006, 05:23 AM   #12
    sgt207
    (male)

sgt207 HB User

I was finally able to secure an appointment with a psychopharmaclogist in a few weeks. Hopefully, I can get some answers, and a plan, then.

Work is VERY busy - things are going well. Thanks.

Quote:
    Originally Posted by sickofeffexor
    Thanks Sgt! It's always so nice to hear from you! It's just been the last few days that I can say that I noticeably feel physically better. What a long process it can be to come off this stuff!

How are you doing? How's the practice?

SOE

Closed Thread