It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Depression Message Board

Wellbutrin and Topamax

Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 10-23-2002, 07:57 AM   #1
Tristessa

Tristessa HB User
Post Wellbutrin and Topamax

So I went to the doctor yesterday, and he's taking me off the Paxil 40mg a day, to Wellbutrin 25mgs twice a day and Topamax 25mgs twice a day, to start out of course. I'm a little worried, it seems like a pretty huge difference...a new anti-depressant, and a mood stabilizer as well, while going off of another anti-d. I'm mainly hoping that it won't make me as dead tired as the Risperdal did...or extremely nauseous like I was with 60mgs of Paxil. I do have some hope, that this might finally work for me. I've been through alot, and it's about time that I find something that will help at least somewhat.

If anyone has been through something similiar and can tell me how it went, please do. I would greatly appreciate any advice or comments from anyone with experiences from these medications. Thanks.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 10-25-2002, 04:42 AM   #2
speedbump

speedbump HB User
I've been on the Wellbutrin (100mg once per day) and Topomax (steady increase but can't remember mg) for one week now. Started out feeling a little wired but now I'm sleeping great. Other than feeling a little "out there" - kinda like how antihistamines make you feel sometimes - I'm feeling okay. Can't say they've helped the depression yet but it says it may take 4 weeks. Week one is down today so I'll keep you posted. These are my 1st experience w/meds so I have no comparison.

Old 10-27-2002, 08:39 PM   #3
krazykatie

krazykatie HB User
I've finally been listening to and for a year been dealing with the fact that people realize I have depression. I was on paxil for the longest time because my doctor didn't understand I'm bi-polar. So I have a phyciatrist who's decided that with my imput I should be changed to Wellbutrin. It's working out ok. But I was wondering if mood stablizers help out alot?

Old 01-06-2003, 07:25 PM   #4
tazman23

tazman23 HB User
Question

i was reading this thread and was wondering how the meds are working out?? i started wellbutrin and topomax today. i was on tegretol and lamictal for seizures. i am starting to get a little worried about the topomax and the side effects.

how are they working for you??

Old 03-08-2003, 06:47 PM   #5
iluvgum

iluvgum HB User
I have been on 300 mg of Wellbutrin and 200mg of Topamax for over a year and a half. This has been the best combo to battle depression/bi-polar. These 2 meds have been a lifesaver. I wish you the best of luck. I think everything will work out.

Old 03-10-2003, 01:05 PM   #6
BLJ

BLJ HB User
Question

What is Topamax used for????????

Old 03-10-2003, 01:46 PM   #7
JDtweety

JDtweety HB User
BLJ,

I believe Topamax is an anti-seizure medication, and is probably being used for these people as a "mood stablizer". My guess is that because Wellbutrin is in and of it self an anti-depressant drug which works primarly on dopamine, they are more than likely using the Topamax to offset the the anxiety that Wellbutrin can cause, not to mention, it has a fairly high seizure rate. Just a guess though..

Old 03-10-2003, 02:00 PM   #8
BLJ

BLJ HB User
Wink

Thanks Tweety,

My husband was taking Wellbutrin for a short while for ADHD and he stopped taking it because, amoung other side affects, of the anxiety it caused.

Old 03-11-2003, 07:08 AM   #9
DonnaKS

DonnaKS HB User
I personally LOVE Wellbutrin. I was taking 150 mgs twice a day, but I find that it DOES take alot longer to get working than other meds. Zoloft works in about 30 days, but Wellbutrin took atleast 2 months for me to feel the effects. I was also wondering about Topomax. I have heard alot of good things about it. I'm gonna ask my doc what he thinks. One thing I have heard is that it causes weightloss. Has anyone lost weight while taing this drug? I know they say Wellbutrin causes weightloss too, but you still have to work at it. It just gives me TONS of energy, so that I feel like doing things to lose weight. But I have heard that the Topomax is like an appetite suppresant. Anyone know? Thanks

Old 03-11-2003, 04:04 PM   #10
krissy26

krissy26 HB User
HELLO!!!!!
Oh my God!!! I was just about to write on the same subject. I have been on Wellbutrin for a while now (400mg) and although I love it, it lost a bit of ots kick, so the my Dr. added Remeron. I take the smallest bit of that, but it's making me gain weight, and I have a few to lose anyway because I just had a baby, so he's added Topomax to my regimen. I am now on 50mg in the am ang 50 at night. So far I have seen no difference in my appetite, and I am very tired. I am writing about this in my posting- check it out.

Old 03-11-2003, 04:20 PM   #11
DonnaKS

DonnaKS HB User
Krissy,
I feel the same way about Wellbutrin...seems like it does kinda lose it's kick after awhile!! Right now I'm not on any meds, because I am pregnant. I will deliver next month, but I plan to breastfeed, so it will be awhile before I can get back on Wellbutrin!! Do you know if you can take Topomax while breastfeeding? I've heard other ppl say that lower doses of Topomax make them drowsy, but increasing the dosage gave them more energy. I personally don't know. I HATE Zoloft...it made me gain 60 POUNDS, and I couldn't lose it until I started taking Wellbutrin.
Good Luck with your meds, and keep us posted!!

Closed Thread