It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Depression Message Board

• A word about St. John's Wort & the pill

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 03-27-2003, 07:01 AM   #1
    mhjada
    Inactive

mhjada HB User
    Unhappy A word about St. John's Wort & the pill

Good morning!

I don't feel like it's such a good one, though. A few weeks ago, to combat the negative sexual side effects of my Lexapro, I started cutting them in half and I decided to take St. John's Wort and 5-HTP to kind of give the Lexapro an extra antidepressant boost since I wasn't getting the benefit of 10 mg anymore. I told this to my psychiatrist, and all she told me was that it was worth a shot. I didn't mention to my regular doctor any of this, but I had told her that I was suffering from depression and that I'd been put on Lexapro.

A few days ago, I was taking my St. John's Wort at work and someone asked me what I was taking. Well, that coworker happened to mention to me that St. John's Wort can make birth control pills less effective!! I kind of laughed it off, because this is someone who I don't take seriously most of the time anyway. Well, I didn't give another thought to it until Tuesday, when my period was supposed to start. And didn't. And hasn't. It is now two days late, and I'm beginning to freak out.

I posted on a few boards here yesterday trying to get some information, didn't do an internet search because I was afraid of what I might find. Well, I did the search today and found a plethora of information that all said that this connection with the pill and St. John's Wort exists.

Needless to say, I'm scared to death and praying that I'm not pregnant. I'm going to take a test at lunch to find out. :-/ But I figured that I'd post this information here in case anyone here is taking St. John's Wort and is relying on the pill for contraception -- DON'T!! Don't take St. John's Wort with the pill, unless you are using a back-up method. I am hoping that I'm wrong, but I have a bad feeling that I'm not.

As if I didn't have enough to worry about when I think that I'm finally beating my depression... how the hell am I supposed to take care of a child when I can't even take care of myself? :`(

*sigh*

If anyone has any advice or kind words, I sure could use them!

Lauren

------------------
    I've learned that you can tell a lot about a person by the way they handle these 3 things: a rainy day, lost luggage and tangled Christmas tree lights.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 03-27-2003, 07:27 AM   #2
    Erniegirl

Erniegirl HB User
    Lauren - thanks so much for the info. It's scary how many doctors don't mention how medicines can interfere with birth control pills. Yeah, that's really what I need, to be depressed AND pregnant. I hope the test went well for you.

Old 03-27-2003, 07:43 AM   #3
    mhjada
    Inactive

mhjada HB User
    Good news!!!

My period just started!! I sure as h*ll won't be taking any more St. John's Wort, though.

That was an incredible weight lifted off my chest!!

Whew! *wipes brow*

And of course you know how horribly I was obsessing about it, I was trying to figure out how to tell my family I was pregnant!! :-P

Yay!

I know that just because I'm having my period doesn't mean that I'm not, but its a good enough indicator for me!

:-D

Lauren

Old 03-30-2003, 02:42 PM   #4
    Jeff!23

Jeff!23 HB User
    It is true that St. John's wort does effect many different prescription medication by making them less effective. So if you are on any scripts do not take St. Johns Wort. On the up side it has really help me out a lot because I notice it but fellow Airmen notice also. Thanks, Jeff

Old 03-30-2003, 10:06 PM   #5
    LoveMyWay71

LoveMyWay71 HB User
    Smile

hi md,

glad u r not preg.. i know what you mean.. in reguards to not being able to take care of myself.. let a lone a child.. when i get bumbed that i am 32 and don't have kids yet, i realize that in a small way it is a good thing... just because i struggle with myself... glad things turned out good for you.. take care

Closed Thread