It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Depression Message Board

• She'll be Coming off Effexor when she comes...

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 12-27-2002, 01:08 PM   #1
    Jaxxx

Jaxxx HB User
    Thumbs down She'll be Coming off Effexor when she comes...

Arugh!!

This is my second day free from Efexxor! Yesterday was so so awful...

Headache
    dizzyness (whoa!)
    nausea (oh, the nausea!!)
    diarrhea (Oh boy!)
    tummyache

Okay, so thats it...but it was so awful. I wouldnt wish that feeling on my worst enemy (well maybe for a bit, hehe). I know Im ready to come off Effexor, but these withdrawl effects are making it VERY hard. I feel like a druggy, lol. Like, I know that if I just take one dose - all the dizzyness, the sick feeling --everything will go away, but then Id still be on Effexor.

I just woke up and so far, so good. Im a little tired - but I think thats normal. No head spins and nausea...yet.

Bah!

I shall return to my doctor to day and see if he can do anything else.

HISTORY: Ive been on Effexor XR for 2 years at 300mg. Over the past 4 weeks Ive gradually tapered off. 225mg, 150mg, 75mg to where I am today. The reduced dosage resulted in slight headaches and mild versions of the abovementioned symptoms. The no dosage is almost unbearable!!

arugh.
    sorry guys, IM so rambling on here.

Cheers
    Kerry

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 12-27-2002, 01:46 PM   #2
    Anonymity
    Veteran

Anonymity HB User
    My fiance was in your situation. He's off totally now, for about two and a half weeks. He's still having ups and downs, but it gets easier and smoother every day.
    Take it easy, and believe in yourself. Just think, effexor is one of the hardest medications to come off of, and *you're doing it*!! Think of how strong you are!!
    Go ahead, vent and ramble all you need to!! I've come off SSRIs and other medicines myself, plus I have the experience with effexor regarding my fiance. I'll listen whenever you need to chat!
    Good luck, and let us all know how you're doing!

P.S. If things get really bad, don't be afraid to talk to your doctor about going back up to a 37.5mg immediate release tablet which you can then taper down to 18.75mg and then to nothing. I think you can probably do it without the added tapering, but if you need some help, the 37.5mg tablet could be a good thing to know about.

[This message has been edited by Anonymity (edited 12-27-2002).]

Old 12-27-2002, 02:01 PM   #3
    mistyeyed

mistyeyed HB User
    You seem to have kept your sense of humor and that's a great thing. You'll feel unwell for a while but it doesn't last forever thank God. Drink plenty of water, take a B complex vitamin along with folic acid, this was advice given to me when I quit Paxil. Rest, relax and above all be kind to yourself. All the very best to you..........Leah

Old 12-29-2002, 06:55 AM   #4
    Jaxxx

Jaxxx HB User
    Angry

I cannot believe that it has ONLY been 4 days!

And a revolting 4 days at that!! Ive been asleep for most of it, but for the amount of time that Ive been awake its been pure hell!

Headaches - meh, not so bad - paracetamol rules (yeah baby!)
    Dizzyness - woooo yeah!
    Brain shocks - its kind of like dizzyness except it feels like theres a party in my head and everyone's invited. Really hard to explain...like when I move my eyes the inside of my head goes BAM!! Oh, I had a really fun time this afternoon when I was napping - every time I shut my eyes it would send a shock through me and I could hear a "whoosh" noise in my ears (coz, where else would I hear? really?)
    And my emotions...this is new...Ive been feeling like crying all day. And occaisionally I'll have an angry outburst. My boyfriend has recognised the signs of me picking a fight and leaves the room...

But Im downing the Benadryl, Ive taken Vitamin B complex tablets (they taste meaty!!), Im drinking lots, mylanta(antacid) is helping with the nausea and burning stomach and Buscopan is helping with the diarrhea (glad to share!)

Thanks for your support Anonymity and Mistyeyed! Its good to be able to ramble on...

I really hate my doctor for prescribing me this! I was never told about these withdrawal side effects...and they say its non addictive...I really want to take a capsule just so I dont feel this bad.

Arugh!!

Old 12-29-2002, 10:18 AM   #5
    mydog8mybrain

mydog8mybrain HB User
    jaxxx - YOur occupation must be that of a writer. YOu know how to make those words flow!!

Old 12-29-2002, 01:35 PM   #6
    tinam2002

tinam2002 HB User
    oh **** ,,,im supposed to start effexor 75 mg ,,,,god do u think i shouldnt start them ,im so scared its for my anxiety,,,meant to take them last week but scared ,,help.

Old 12-29-2002, 02:52 PM   #7
    mistyeyed

mistyeyed HB User
    Hello again, just wondering how you're doing. When I quit Paxil I lost it on my husband in the video store over something really silly, I stomped all the way home crying like a fool, then refused to ever set foot in that video store again cause I was sure the clerk thought I was completely nuts...........but it got better Leah

Old 12-29-2002, 05:22 PM   #8
    Jaxxx

Jaxxx HB User
    Cool

Tinam2002!!! Oh NO!! I had no intention of putting you off going on Effexor!

Effexor has helped me a lot. Really it has. The only thing that is bothering me is coming off it. But if you're starting on it...you will probably not have to worry about withdrawal symptoms for at least a year! Just DO NOT FORGET TO TAKE YOUR DOSE - or you will pay (because Effexor is just THAT vindictive!!!) Its like "Forgot to take me eh? Well we'll see about that!! HA! MWAAA HAHHA!" **Brain shock, dizzyness, nausea, headache** "That'll teach you!!"

But that and the withdrawal symptoms are the only bad things about it. Oh and the excessive sweating, dry mouth and constipation - but when you come off effexor its like your bowels just open on up-- its so much fun!! ("im free! im freee!!")

Im on day 5 at the moment...Right now Im actually feeling okay. The brain shocks arent as severe, its kind of just fun now *bzzzt* hehehe. No nausea (yet). My tum still feels euccch!

Tinam2002, Im pretty sure no matter what drug your doc decides to put you on, there are going to be side effects - some more severe than others. What you need to decide is whether you want to continue feeling the way you do and try to work your way through it drug free - which could be hard work and maybe even a little dangerous depending on the severity of your case. OR Try to get yourself feeling better quickly, do the whole counselling thing and cognitive therapy thing, and THEN once you're in that better place you'll be much stronger to do battle with Miss Evil Effexor and her vindictive withdrawal ways.

OR

You could go back to your Doc and demand that he/she/it gives you some other options. And since he/she/it already prescribed you Effexor, you should go back to him/her/it and ask them if they have an action plan for coming off Effexor - since you've heard that the withdrawal side effects are terrifying! And dont stand for the "Weee-eeelll, thats going to be a long time away, so we'll cross that bridge when we get to it.." Noooooooo! And if she/he/it cannot give you an answer - then you do the rant dance! (I can help you with it if you need!)

Im sorry I scared you with my ranting and complaining.

Leah - I can totally relate to the video store episode.

mydog8mybrain - what a cool nick!

Cheers dudes, thanks for letting me ramble...
    I do feel much better today...but its still early!

-Kerry

Old 12-30-2002, 02:15 PM   #9
    Anonymity
    Veteran

Anonymity HB User
    Wink

Jaxxx- If my time calculations are correct (I sound like a Trekkie), you're probably beginng to feel worse and wondering if it's worth it right about now. Hopefully not, but if so, take heart. Things get slightly worse before they get better. Soon, each day will get better and better, and you will have times when you forget you're in the midst of tapering (until the effexor reminds you with a spinning room or a stomach cramp). Be strong; you can do this, and you ARE doing it!! We are all so proud!!!

Tinam- It is time for you to muster up some courage. You must return to your doctor for consolation. (That is, after all, a large part of what you pay the doctor for.) Tell the doctor that you were researching your effexor and that you came across some disturbing information. Admit that you have not started the effexor. Your doctor understands; he/she sees people weekly, maybe even daily, who put off or miss dosages of their medicines. Tell the doctor that you need some reassurance. Tell him/her that you want to start slowly, maybe with a 75mg tablet broken in two. Your doctor will understand; he/she may even apologize for moving you too quickly toward your starting dose. Admit that you think you might need frequent visits while you start the medicine because worrying about it is causing you even more problems than you initially had. If you've changed your mind altogether about medicine, tell your doctor. Explain that you only want medicine if the doctor is willing to say that you have a true chemical imbalance that cannot be corrected without medicine. Perhaps you do want medicine; it's okay to feel that you need it, many people do. Maybe you just want to use it in the short-term to calm yourself and to get a handle on life. If you wish to tell the doctor that you only want to be on medicine until you get a handle on things, and then you will want to go off of it, you should do so. The doctor may prescribe a more short-term, easy withdrawal medicine instead. I think you must see what I'm getting at. Call your doctor!! Do whatever it takes to make you feel better. The doctor understands; he/she deals with this constantly, and he/she realizes that you are emotionally fragile and need extra reassurance. Let the doctor console and guide you. Call today!

Old 12-30-2002, 02:59 PM   #10
    Wil

Wil HB User
    I went off Effexor cold turkey after taking it for six months. I thought I was going to die, I had no idea how dangerous it was to do at the time.

I simply lost my insurance at the time and had no resources to fill my prescription, couldn't that happen to anyone?

I pray no one ever does what I did. I have read from this site that you could die. Glad I didn't, but there were days....
    Wil

Old 12-30-2002, 09:20 PM   #11
    west virginia girl
    Senior Veteran

west virginia girl HB User
    I am taking effexor 75mg three times a day and I do not even wanna think about whats it's going to be like when I have to go off of it,But I know I'm not staying on it like I did paxil,I was on it for four years at 40mg and well the doc just thinks it stopped working for me and I went through hell. I wish you the best

Old 12-30-2002, 09:30 PM   #12
    1Dove
    Inactive

1Dove HB User
    My dad has tried many times to get off effexor. It stopped working for him long ago, but he has been unsuccessful at getting off of it. He has tried gradually reducing the dose, but even so he finds the withdrawal unbearable. So he's stuck taking something the doesn't help him anymore. Best of luck to you!

Old 12-31-2002, 06:38 PM   #13
    gerbilsnout
    (female)

gerbilsnout HB User
    It took me months and months to get off Effexor because everytime I started to feel horrible, I just took some more! Cutting back is hard, but no Effexor is terrible. Finally, I threw the stuff away and stayed in bed for 4 days. At the end of 4 days I felt well enough to go to work. After about 2 or 3 weeks I felt back to normal.

I am never going to take that stuff (or anything like it) again! The likes of Prozac and Wellbutrin work well enough and have no side withdrawal effects (at least not for me...)

Good luck! It helped me to continually drug myself with Benedryl and stay in bed. http://www.healthboards.com/ubb/yawn.gif

Old 01-01-2003, 03:39 PM   #14
    melody

melody HB User
    Hi all, It's been a long time since I've been here. I've come off of Effexor since then. I know many people do have terrible problems with the withdrawal. Fortunately, I did not. I never had the problems while I was taking it if I missed a dose either. My pdoc tapered me off over about a 1 month time period because my blood pressure had just increased too much while I was on it (definitely a common side effect). I took a low dose of Wellbutrin (100 mg) while I was coming off the Effexor. I didn't have any problem at all. I decided not to stay on the WEllbutrin after the tapering off, and I am doing pretty well so far (been at least 2 or 3 weeks now).

I don't mean to minimize in any way the problems that many experience, but I did want to throw in my experience to show that not everyone has the same experiene. Effexor XR really really helped me. I almost didn't start it because of the problems that many have getting off (which my original pdoc denied) - but at the time I was suicidal and I decided the eventual withdrawal was worth the chance of feeling like I wanted to live. I was on Effexor for at least a year (can't really remember). I was on a 225 mg. dose before I really got results.

Various things had changed in my life that made me think it was time to try getting off the drugs - but my pdoc wasnt' convinced (because I'd been depressed for about 13 years). Then, my blood pressure got high and kind of forced the issue. So, I was glad to have the pdoc's agreement that getting off was the right thing.

Jaxx, I really hope you get through this soon. I'll say a prayer for you tonight. melody

Old 01-02-2003, 04:24 AM   #15
    Jaxxx

Jaxxx HB User
    Unhappy

Hi guys, thank you all for your support!!

So heres a bit of an update...the headaches, nausea, brain shocks, vomiting and diarrhea were just a bit too much to handle so I went back to the doc.

...Im back on Effexor.

Im on 75mg at the mo. Heres the plan, stan:

75mg for 2 days
    37.5 for 7 days
    18.75mg for 7 days
    then half of that then nothing....

Im not sure if this will help at all...I mean IM going to have to come off it again and Im so scared - but mister doctor said that the 75mg drop to nothing was perhaps too steep...(I think someone mentioned that).

Wont I have the same side effects no matter how much slower I come off it??

Okay and also I took 75mg about 3 hours ago and whoa do I feel normal!!! No headache, no nausea, no brain shocks!! nothing...

(but I guess I can always look forward to excessive sweating, dry mouth, constipation (and consequently, hemmaroids!!), insomnia and hyper hyper hyperness!! Its insane -- Ive gone from lying on the couch crying my eyes out watching "friends" (last time I checked, that was supposed to be funny right?), running to the toilet for chucking (or the other thing); to mopping the kitchen floor, running around vacuuming and taking the dogs for a walk - talk about total opposites..arugh
    its insane, ive competely freaked my boyfriend out..

Closed Thread