It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Depression Message Board

• Wellbutrin question

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 04-09-2003, 11:00 AM   #1
    devo13601

devo13601 HB User
    Post Wellbutrin question

My doctor started me on Wellbutrin 200mg. once daily for depression yesterday. I'm a bit nervous about starting it. After reading some of the side effects, especially seizures I'm really concerned. I would like to know how other people have felt from taking it. Can it be taken at bedtime? I read that it may cause dizziness and to be careful while driving. I drive a school bus everyday. I'm also like to get together with my friends every once in awhile and we have a couple of drinks. I am not a big drinker, 2 is the max if I go out which is seldom. Should I stop drinking completely? Would once drink effect me in a harmful way? Any suggestions would be great. Thanks.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 04-09-2003, 12:29 PM   #2
    Bellajoon
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

Bellajoon HB User
    Cool

I was on Wellbutrin for not quite a year. I just took my last one today because I am going off of them. I didn't really have any major side effects. I think it numbed some of the depression, but it wasn't totally gone. I was on 150 2 x a day. I was also worried about seizures, but I read up on it and it seems like it doesn't happen very often. It does say not to drink alcohol when taking, but I do enjoy 1-2 glasses of wine. I feel guilty when I do drink, but I think that if you are careful and watch yourself, you will be fine. Good luck to you.

Old 04-09-2003, 01:08 PM   #3
    marycate821

marycate821 HB User
    I have taken up to 400 mg per day with no real problems. My biggest complaint is that it seems to make me very sleepy. For most people it makes them kind of hyper, but I take mine at bed time and have no problem. I haven't had dizziness at all. Also, I have a few drinks now and then with no problems. Don't be too worried--just keep an eye on your reactions. Also, seizures usually only occur at higher doses.

Old 04-09-2003, 02:11 PM   #4
    Pfretzsch
    (female)

Pfretzsch HB User
    Actually 400 mg is considered high (at least it is "getting there") with regard to the seizure issue. And antidepressants are known to increase the effects of alcohol. You don't want to be driving a car if you have a seizure. Take care!

Old 04-10-2003, 06:37 AM   #5
    Erniegirl

Erniegirl HB User
    I agree with Bellajoon and marycate - the Wellbutrin is helping the depression, but not as much as Effexor did for me. Also I'm extremely exhausted. Now I've always had a problem with fatigue so I don't want to blame the Wellbutrin, but my dr. did tell me it's supposed to give you energy but so far, I haven't seen any results in that department. The lack of sexual side effects is great however. Good luck!

Old 04-10-2003, 06:51 AM   #6
    devo13601

devo13601 HB User
    Thank you all for your input. Well, I took one pill before bed 2 nights ago. Stayed up all night stressing over it and wondering if I would feel any side effects. Didn't get much sleep but felt like I had energy the next day. I kept researching on the internet and found that the maximum dose should not exceed 400mg a day. My doctor originally wanted to start me out that high but I refused. Then I also read that you shouldn't take more than 150 mg. at once. I have not taken another pill, too scared to at this point. Is my doctor crazy or am I reading into things to much? I spent $97 on pills that I may never use. I'm so frustrated. I met up with some friends last night, I ended up wasting my drink because I was too worried about the effects. Of course every wondered why I didn't drink it but I don't care to let everyone know that I had started on an antideppresent. Don't know if I should start taking them again or not. Thanks for all the information.

Old 04-11-2003, 07:18 AM   #7
    keejan

keejan HB User
    After 16 years of being of feeling strange, I started taking Wellbutrin SR. I was a totally different person. It helped me so much. No more anger, anxiety, worry. The side effects for me were shaky hands and faster heart beat. I took it for 3 years.

Old 04-11-2003, 07:38 AM   #8
    Hezza182

Hezza182 HB User
    You shake too?
    Ok maybe I'm not crazy!

I've been on Wellbutrin SR for a year now and what a change it has made! The depression and worry is gone! I have Ativan to take should I ever have an anxiety/panic attack, but I think I've taken 2 of them in the last year or so!

My mother noticed that my hands were shaky lately, and everytime my boyfriend touches me (mostly when he has his arm around me) he tells me I'm shaking! It's more than just my hands, but I never linked it to the medication because back in highschool I had unsteady hands as well!

Both my mother and boyfriend think this could be something more serious, like a lack of zinc or something of the sort! I did do drugs in high school, but I mostly stuck to pot and I didn't do it all the time, so I can't imagine it's due to that!

It has gotten a bit worse lately, muscle spasms too (how annoying and funny are those, eh), so I think I will see my doctor, maybe the Wellbutrin needs to be adjusted, maybe I just have the shakes, or maybe I have a nerve problem or some sort, who knows!

Let me know if you ever experienced more than just shaking in the hands please, or ask someone else if they have noticed, I wouldn't have known it was all over my body until my boyfriend pointed it out!

Thanks so much

Old 04-11-2003, 02:22 PM   #9
    devo13601

devo13601 HB User
    Just wondering how many milligrams a day some of you are taking. Do the shakes just appear in the higher doses? Sounds like a lot of people need another drug for anxiety while on the Wellbutrin. I would hate to add another drug, I haven't even started the Wellbutrin yet. Still don't feel too comfortable about it.

Old 04-11-2003, 04:45 PM   #10
    quiet_one

quiet_one HB User
    I've been on Wellbutrin since 1999 and I've had fabulous success. Yes, I had the shakyness but it does subside over time. 450mg/day is the maximum dosage and that's when you've got to watch out for seizures. *Most* people are on 300mg/day and that seems to be the regular dose.

I can understand why you're scared to try it but you don't know if it's gonna work unless you try it. You know what I mean? I mean, if it doesn't do anything for you then try something else.

quiet_one http://www.healthboards.com/ubb/heart.gif

Old 04-12-2003, 03:58 AM   #11
    Just-A-Boy
    Veteran
    (male)

Just-A-Boy HB User
    To:Hezza182

The reason you shake is because your Central Nervous System is being stimulated by the drug.

Some psychopharmacologist say, Wellbutrin is "amphetamine-like" some psychopharmacologist say that Wellbutrin is "amphetamine"

So dont be on the drug too much alright!!!!

Wish you the best! Good luck you guys!

Old 04-12-2003, 07:32 AM   #12
    Janik
    Senior Veteran

Janik HB User
    Quote:
    Originally posted by devo13601:
    Just wondering how many milligrams a day some of you are taking. Do the shakes just appear in the higher doses? Sounds like a lot of people need another drug for anxiety while on the Wellbutrin. I would hate to add another drug, I haven't even started the Wellbutrin yet. Still don't feel too comfortable about it.
    I was taking 50 mg/day among with Xanax. The depression was gone and the anxiety was under control. I was able to quit the Wellbutrin very easily (you should not quit more than one drug at a time), but the Xanax is taking longer. My shakes started when I started tapering Xanax. I had also had shakes previously when I quit Zoloft, but that's a different story.

Old 04-13-2003, 09:00 AM   #13
    TaraIngrid

TaraIngrid HB User
    I just started taking 150 mgs a day, slow release. I wonder if my doctor will up the dose. For now, I feel like it's helping. I can just keep going and get more things done in a day than I could have otherwise, and also I can feel my feelings a little more. It might sound weird to say I feel like I'm more emotional, even crying more, with the drug so far, but to me it feels like I can now handle a little bit of feeling and don't need to keep everything blocked off and at arms length and try not to even think about anything that might make me sad.

I'm also on busporine (sp?) for anti-anxiety. I was feeling anxious even before I started the wellbutrin so I'm glad I have it.

So far side effects have been, a little dizziness/tipsiness right after I take the drug, and stressful dreams, though I don't know if that's really related.

Old 04-16-2003, 01:40 AM   #14
    Melora

Melora HB User
    I just started Wellbutrin this morning. I'm also nervous about the seizures. I purge though only about once a week now which I know highers my risk of seizure. My doctor knew this but still thought this was what would be best for me which is making me question him a bit. He started me on 300mg a day Wellbutrin and 100mg Zoloft ( down from 200 ). I was sleeping about 18 hours per day so he's hoping this will give me some much needed energy. I'm going to give it a week, if I have any really bad side effects by the end of the week then I'm getting off it. So far I've just been really nausous but that may be from lowering my Zoloft dose.

Old 05-29-2004, 02:46 PM   #15
    camino1

camino1 HB User
    Re: Wellbutrin question

I read in various places that Wellbutrin "worked" for a person. What does that mean? I do not know what to expect.

Closed Thread