It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Depression Message Board

• PLEASE READ: Been on Paxil CR for 11 days and feeling like crud!

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 03-31-2006, 12:17 PM   #1
    Debjean777
    (female)

Debjean777 HB User
    Unhappy PLEASE READ: Been on Paxil CR for 11 days and feeling like crud!

Hi, I have been on paxil CR for 11 days, the first 7 days were 12.5 mg and then upped to 25mg. I feel tired and my knees where they bend seem kinda sore and my fingers.... it's like my joints kinda ache. Could this be a reaction to the Paxil? I don't want to be on any medication but need to be. I met my husband for lunch today and while i was waiting in the restaurant for him i was fighting back the tears for no reason..... i was a total mess. I'm sick of this crying!!!!! I had to take a month off from work because of this deep depression/health anxiety junk!!!! I feel totally disconnected. I have a 10 year old son and a 7 year old son that are my life and i think of them all day and look at pictures of them and bawl my eyes out. I feel like i have 1 foot int he grave for some reason and i can't shake this and it is driving me crazy. I might lose a very well paying job that i have been at for 11 years because of this because right now i don't see how i can go back. I feel so overwhelmed when i even think about work. Our bills depend on my salary and i definitely need the medical insurance. Any words of encouragement because i really need them right now. Thanks to all.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 03-31-2006, 12:38 PM   #2
    CTCheryl
    (female)

CTCheryl HB User
    Re: PLEASE READ: Been on Paxil CR for 11 days and feeling like crud!

Dear DebJean:

Do you still have the information that came with your prescription? The side effects would be listed on there. If you don't have it, I would call the doctor and let him/her know of your symptoms. It doesn't sound right to me. Also, after 11 days you probably should be feeling some improvement. I know some meds take a while to work but it seems to me that you should be getting some relief by now.

I need to get back to therapy, haven't been in years. But I've been depressed for a while and some days I can barely get out of bed. My husband has been out of work for 1 1/2 years (due to an accident on the job) so I can't afford to stay home and lose my job. I can kind of understand how you are feeling. I haven't started crying yet, but I sure feel like I could cry.

Old 03-31-2006, 12:41 PM   #3
    Spin444
    Inactive
    (female)

Spin444 HB User

Deb, Please take the time to read the list of side effects, esp. those under "neurological". Everything you mention are side effects of Paxil. Yes, you DO need help, but you DON'T need to be on a drug that has the very real and paradoxical effect of causing you even more anxiety and depression. Please find a doctor or therapist who knows how to deal with these problems, naturally.

Also, go to the thread on this Health Board that deals with ADD. Someone just recently left some great suggestions for dealing with that disorder, without meds. There's some good info there.

Aerobic exercise, everyday, a good diet, free from sugars, caffeine, etc., is a good start. Cut out alcohol and pot, if you smoke. Cutting out cigarettes is a good start too.

My husband tried to convince me to stay on Paxil because he knew that I was having trouble and, like many, was brainwashed into thinking that it was safe and effective. I knew, within days, that Paxil was bogus. When I tried to quit taking it, after only 5 days, I got very sick. PLEASE, if you decide to quit taking it, you have to go down very, very slowly. Do not mistake the withdrawal symptoms as those of your original diagnosis or you might be talked into staying on the drug. For weaning guides, do a search. GlaxoSmithKline doesn't publish one, which, to me, is a crime. To make such an addictive drug, without providing safe weaning information, forcing doctors and patients to fend for themselvse, is incredibly irresponsible. They don't provide a guide because that would be admitting that they're drug actually IS addictive. Nice!

The problem is, Paxil CR cannot (should not) be split or shaved. Anything more than a 2.5 drop is too great. You'll have to talk to your doctor about how to wean off. Maybe you'll need to switch to regular Paxil to do that. I don't know if they still make the liquid suspension form of the drug, but many found that withdrawal was tolerable if they went down by just 1mg every week or two. Do NOT believe your doctor if he tells you to just quit taking it since you've "only" been on it for 11 days. A little Paxil is still a LOT of Paxil and the changes that it causes in our brains, happens right away. It's a very powerful drug, who's action is very non-specific, causing all kinds of physical and emotional problems. Some here, on this site, would rather have people like you, remain in the dark, not be warned about the possiblities, before you take the drug. Learning from the experiences of others, on both sides of the issue, is a good thing.

Old 03-31-2006, 12:51 PM   #4
    CTCheryl
    (female)

CTCheryl HB User

Spin444

Wow, I did not know about Paxil. My husband is on Lexapro and it seems to help. They doubled the dose about a month ago. I think I am going to start researching Lexapro. I was not aware that antidepressants could be addictive. Thanks for the info.

Old 03-31-2006, 04:01 PM   #5
    Rianna
    (female)

Rianna HB User

DebJean, if you have been at your job over a year and if there are over 50 people working there, or within 75 miles, you can go on short term disability (FMLA of 1993) states that any one who has been at their job over a year and who has health insurance should also have short term disability. Depression and anxiety are considered disability. I know I did this back in September. I was on SAM-e (natural remedy for depression - OTC) for about three years depression free. Then it pooped out on me, and I was put on Cymbalta. I felt lousy and went to my Doctor (at that time I was not under the care of a Psychiatrist) and she faxed in a note to my employer (manager/supervisor) saying I would be gone two weeks due to major depression. I could not function..I cried all the time, and could barely even take a shower..much less function at a full time job. The lady in Human Resources called me and said I could take my short term disability which I was paying for with my health insurance from work. Shortly thereafter, I was hospitalized due to a severe reaction from Cymbalta. I then took her advice and took a few weeks off work to get my meds in order and to start to feel better again so I could work. Under this act, you can't lose your job - you can take up to 26 weeks of paid medical leave - I beleive there is a one week waiting period, and then after that you usually get 50 - 66 percent of your paycheck. I would definately talk to your human resources about this, and if you get worse, have your Doctor or Psychiatrist fax or send a letter to your work so that you can get better again, and find the right medication.

Old 03-31-2006, 05:25 PM   #6
    MagicSunshine
    Inactive
    (female)

MagicSunshine HB User

I'm sorry you're going through so much. I agree that you should be feeling at least a little better by now. The symptoms you're having make me think maygbe paxil isn't the AD for you.

I have been on lexapro and researched before I took the first pill. It's been great for me. I had isolated myself, wouldn't talk on the phone, and had terrible panic attacks. Just showering was a real chore. Lexapro treats anxiety and depression.

I started the lexapro in Feb. and now I'm driving and going out more. Feeling more in charge of my life. I even catch myself smiling.

It's not that I am trying to tell people to take drugs as someone stated. In many cases we need an AD to get our health back. As for going through horrible withdrawal after taking a drug for five days, I'm not so sure about that. Of couse, if a person has an addictive personality, I suppose it could happen.

I trust my Dr. I have been going to him for many years. In my case, antidepressants saved my life!

Have a good night if you can and please take care......Connie

Old 03-31-2006, 05:48 PM   #7
    Spin444
    Inactive
    (female)

Spin444 HB User

Paxil withdrawal can happen even after one dose. I've been visiting Paxil message boards for nearly 6 years, since my sister's brain bleed (yup, a listed side effect) after just three days (most SSRI induced strokes occur within the first week of use) and have talked to many people who quit taking Paxil after fewer doses that I took and had the same exact problems: severe nausea, severe headaches and dizziness, thoughts of suicide (I had not had those thoughts pre-Paxil), etc. It really has nothing to do with an addictive personality, something I don't have anyway. Paxil withdrawal can happen to anyone.

Cheryl, Lexapro is aslo an SSRI, in the same class as Paxil. The side effect profile is nearly identical and it can be hard to quit taking too. If you do a search on Lexapro side effects (ignore the commercial drug sites who seem to have bought up most of the search engine words so you end up learning how to buy drugs more cheaply) or Lexapro dangers or just SSRI related concerns. Yes, some people report finding some relief, but even they often have side effects, withdrawal or really want to be off the drug at some point. If there's any other way that you can help yourself, please try that first. Depression is a rough one. I just hate to see anyone risk their already fragile emotional health by drugging themselves.

Last edited by Spin444; 03-31-2006 at 05:49 PM.

Old 03-31-2006, 06:49 PM   #8
    MagicSunshine
    Inactive
    (female)

MagicSunshine HB User

I want the best for everyone on this board. I have no reason to believe all Drs. who prescribe AD's are ingnorant. I have seen them work on many people. I'm not addictive to lexapro, and have forgotten to take doses of it a couple of times. Nothing happened to me, and I waited until it was time for my next dose to take it.

I have taken amiltriptyline (elavil) for over 20 years. It's one of the older AD's and it's a tricyclic. I weaned off of them about 10 years ago, with no problem, but I followed my Drs. directions on how to do it exactly. I had to go back on it two years later. It was one we knew worked for me, so my Dr. spared me the problem of going through new ones. My psychaitrist agreed.

I'm so worried that the person who is trying to talk everyone into stopping their meds, or not take them even if they are prescribed, is going to cause someone harm. I don't think I can read the same speech much longer. It's beyond me, why we don't do what our Drs. tell us and if we have a problem take it up with them. They are Drs and we aren't for a reason. They know more!! I have not been suicidal since I was 19 but if I hadn't taken my meds I would be dead, and that's why I'm so afraid for others.

Lots of love and health to all..........Connie

Closed Thread