It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Depression Message Board

• Has anyone ever filed for disability for anxiety/depression?

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 04-03-2006, 04:01 PM   #1
    Rianna
    (female)

Rianna HB User
    Has anyone ever filed for disability for anxiety/depression?

I am wondering if anyone has ever filed for disability for anxiety/depression and if you had any results (received, denied, etc)? I have been thinking of doing this, but have never done something like this before, and would have no idea how to go about trying to file, and what all is involved, etc. Thanks for any feedback or suggestions.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 04-03-2006, 04:26 PM   #2
    hyper79
    Senior Veteran
    (male)

hyper79 HB User
    Re: Has anyone ever filed for disability for anxiety/depression?

hi, i have but didnt go so well. you will have to contact your social security office, and get the paperwork in order to file.the amount you get depends on the amount you have payed in over the years. i have a friend who has only worked a few years and only gets $125 a month. anyway fill out all the pprwk and mail back in, it ask for past employment,reasons for applying, meds and also consent forms for them to send to your doctors for them to mail back so they can be reveiwed.after several weeks youll have a set up phone call to go over the info.the whole process takes around 6 months.and theres a limit you can make during the time.i had a ton of probs hyperthyroidism,depression,gad,cfs. i messed up by pushing myself back into work not well because of the bills. thats in my state it may vary, not sure?its a long process in my state. alot of times they set you up with there dr's to get checked, and the also contact your employer, they did mine.alot of times it takes a few denials before approved.its worth a try, just have your stuff together,even better if you have a second source of income or no bills to pay,i just couldnt make it for 6 months.

Last edited by hyper79; 04-03-2006 at 04:32 PM.

Old 04-03-2006, 04:35 PM   #3
    Rianna
    (female)

Rianna HB User

Thanks for the quick feedback. It's a shame it is so hard to get, after all..we are paying for it out of our paychecks! I have been paying for it for the past 23 years.

Old 04-03-2006, 04:40 PM   #4
    lizzy76
    Veteran
    (female)

lizzy76 HB User

I filed for disabilty for depression and was approved in about 5 months. From what I've read I was lucky - normally the process takes at least 6 months, sometimes a couple years depending on if you're denied and decide to appeal. I'm 30 and had worked pretty steadily until I was about 25 and went back to grad school. At about 26 things started to go downhill first with anorexia and then depression. Anyhow, I get $800/month. It's not a whole lot but it helps.

One thing that really helped my claim go through quickly was how well documented my history of depression is. At the time I applied I had 2 suicide attempts (I've had one more since then) and several stays at inpatient psych facilities for suicidality. I've been in therapy regularly for about 4 years for both anorexia and depression. I'm recovered from anorexia and didn't even list that on my application. I also have other health issues (thyroid stuff, etc) but I didn't list those either because they don't affect my ability to work. Once you file they'll get in touch with you to set up an interview. You'll have to gather all info from any hospitalizations and doctors you've seen that are related to your claim. Once you've submitted all your info it's pretty much a waiting game while they'll contact your doctors and wait for them to reply with info on your care. I didn't have to see their doctors/psych people - I guess I had enough info from my own docs.

If you go in the disability forum there's more info on the process. Some people say age is a big factor in the whole process, but like I said I'm only 30 and I was approved right away. Honestly I think it really depends on how strong a case you have and a big thing is having the documentation to support it. I'd be happy to answer any questions if you have any! Good luck ~
    Lizzy

PS - I'm in California, not sure what state you're in

Last edited by lizzy76; 04-03-2006 at 04:41 PM.

Old 04-03-2006, 04:50 PM   #5
    hyper79
    Senior Veteran
    (male)

hyper79 HB User

yea your right,i know quite a few who are on it for back problems and do more physical stuff than i do.i wish i could have hung in regardless of the bills, but couldnt leave the wife and child w/o.im still sick and have missed alot of time at work since i applyed a year ago,ive been out for a week now.its hard!! i would still try if you are effected by depression and cant work.the dr's think i may have the early stages of lupus, if i do ill have to reapply if you know what i mean

Old 04-04-2006, 10:22 PM   #6
    karen82252
    (female)

karen82252 HB User

Hi, I have posted to the same question several months ago. I bumped it to the front of the line. You can read it to see if it answers any of your questions. My lawyer told me they did not talk to any of my employers.
    If you still have questions, just post them.

Karen

Closed Thread