It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Depression Message Board

• How can you tell if you're depressed.

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 04-09-2006, 07:02 AM   #1
    helpme..
    (female)

helpme.. HB User
    How can you tell if you're depressed.

How can you tell if you'e depressed, without being diagnosed of depression?

I'm not saying I am, but I'm basically constantly upset, and I cry at least once a day. I don't know any symptoms of mild depression, etc. but if someone had a list or something..

People don't take me seriously when I tell them I think somethings wrong with me. I've found myself not eating, wanting to stay inside and hide, very anti-social, but I'll still talk with people. I get very nervous when people aren't around, then when people are around I talk constantly so there is no awkward silences, and I dread being left alone with my thoughts. I also don't really like when people look at me, for I am very self concious, and I've found myself not trusting people, for instance, when they laugh I always think they're laughing at me, and then I ask what's funny, and they blow me off, and then I worry more. Again, let me point out that I am very self concious, and often find myself crying over the way I look, even though I know being vain, etc. is wrong and stuff, and deep down I know that I'm fine. I hate mirrors and love to not wear my glasses, because I don't like my clear vision and seeing myself sometimes. I get jealous easily of other people.

It's weird, and I don't like it. I don't even know if I need help, but I do think somethings wrong with me. I can't tell anyone because they'll hate me, or again, not take me seriously.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 04-09-2006, 10:33 AM   #2
    MarciaD
    (female)

MarciaD HB User
    Re: How can you tell if you're depressed.

Hi

Do you have a family doctor you could talk to? In addition, there is alot of information on the internet regarding depression including some self-assessment questionnaires.

Good luck
    Marcia

Old 04-09-2006, 11:59 AM   #3
    helpme..
    (female)

helpme.. HB User

We don't have a family doctor, no.

Old 04-09-2006, 12:16 PM   #4
    tmapj
    (male)

tmapj HB User

You should see a doctor. I've had a lot of experience with depression and depressed people, and I just read the first few sentences and definitely believe you are depressed, but I am not a DR. Again you need to see a DR.

Old 04-10-2006, 01:31 AM   #5
    index.html
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

index.html HB User

I personally think that counseling would be the best starting place for you.

Good luck!

Old 04-10-2006, 02:03 AM   #6
    macadamiaNUT
    Inactive
    (female)

macadamiaNUT HB User

Hi there,

You're having a rough time of it right now, huh... You know something isn't quite right, you wonder if it's depression, and whatever it is where should you start with getting help.

You're reaching out and posting. That's the start of getting help. You want a list or something similar--there's a link right below your first post (From our Health Guide: Donít face depression alone. Get expert help.) in blue underlined. The link has a short quiz to see if you match up for depression, and there is a ton of other information there as well.

Something brought you to the depression board--trust that knowingness within you that brought you here. It does sound like you're depressed. Sometimes depression has anxiety with it, and it looks like that might fit for you as well. When I had my worst depression I had many similar feelings to what you have. I too felt people might be talking about me, felt they didn't like me (everyone, not just random people), thought I was the butt of their laughing, etc. Once I got treatment though, 99% of those kinds of fears and thoughts went away.

Treatment--you can start with a General Practitioner, Family Practitioner, your OBgyn. If you're in the US you can check to see if there are state-run clinics near you. You can probably get diagnosed there, and possibly get meds and/or therapy there as well.

One thing that can help quite a bit is reading and posting here. Let us know how you're doing and what you have in mind for your next step. We'll cheer you on.

Old 04-10-2006, 04:16 PM   #7
    helpme..
    (female)

helpme.. HB User

Thank you for all of your support. I'll certainly let you know how things are going. I have to book mark this topic for progress.

I like talking to people that can help or relate, but I like it confidential, so I thought a forum would be the best and easiest for now.

I haven't decided on a next step, but I should be able to decide soon.

Old 04-10-2006, 04:32 PM   #8
    helpme..
    (female)

helpme.. HB User

This is my 'first step'. Its very small, and I don't know whether or not to take it seriously, but I was hoping that someone could help me understand a few of these things. This is from the link suggested.

1. Have you been in a depressed mood most of the day, nearly every day for at least two weeks?

Yes No [Also: I havent gone a day without crying at least once for usually 10 minutes in the last 5 days]

2. Have you lost interest or pleasure in most daily activities, nearly every day for at least two weeks?

Yes No

3. Have you experienced a significant weight change (at least five pounds) either loss or gain recently?

Yes No [But: I have lost 3 pounds. I don't weigh myself regularily]

4. Has your appetite changed (increased or decreased) for an extended period?

Yes No [Sorta: When I'm more worried while sad, I don't eat. So far I've gone one day without eating in the past 5 days, and 1 day with only eating 2 things. When I'm more lonely while sad, I tend to eat a bit more.]

5. Have you suffered from insomnia or hypersomnia, nearly every day for at least two weeks?

Yes No [Hypersomnia: I've even found myself falling asleep at like 9, and getting up at 8 or 9]

6. Have you felt tired or experienced a loss of energy during the day, nearly every day for at least two weeks?

Yes No [But: The last two days I've been feeling like this]

7. Have you had guilty feelings or feelings of worthlessness nearly every day for at least two weeks?

Yes No [For a while. Months even]

8. Have you had difficulty thinking, concentrating, or making decisions nearly every day?

Yes No [I usually decide on one thing and do that for the entire day. I'm even skipping school..]

9. Have you had any thoughts of death or any thoughts of suicide without any specific plan?

Yes No [Unfortunately, yes. Not suicide though. Though I know deep down I wouldn't ever kill myself or even cut myself or something. I think about death sometimes though.]

10. Did the depressed mood begin after someone close to you died or within four weeks of giving birth?

Yes No

a) Did you circle yes for either question 1 or 2? _____ Yes.
    b) Did you circle yes four or more times in questions 3-9? _____ Yes. 4
    c) Did you respond yes to question 10? _____ No

If you responded yes to both (a) and (b), you may be suffering from an episode of major depression.

If you responded yes to question (c) and your symptoms are disabling and have lasted for more than two months, you should seek professional treatment. If you responded yes to question 9, seek professional help as soon as possible.

Old 04-11-2006, 01:53 AM   #9
    macadamiaNUT
    Inactive
    (female)

macadamiaNUT HB User

Checking out the depression screening is not such a small step. There can be all kinds of anxiety about finding out one way or the other if you might be depressed or not. ...if you are, then that means one thing, and if the screening thing say you're not then what the heck is going on then, you know?

Even without your results, just from your post, I'd suggest talking to your doctor. Maybe print out your results and give them to the doc. It has all the important information and the scoring makes it fairly clear that depression is a very possible diagnosis. If a doctor were to not take this seriously, it would be time to find a different doctor. Yes, take it seriously enough to see a doctor. Do you need to rush right over to ER? Probably not. If you find things get overwhelming, there's usually a phone number in the front of the phone book, hot line, warm line--somewhere to call and talk to someone. You don't have to be in a suicidal mode to call. I don't think you're "there" but it's just a resource to know about.

Closed Thread