HealthBoards

HealthBoards (https://www.healthboards.com/boards/)
-   Depression (https://www.healthboards.com/boards/depression/)
-   -   XANAX withdrawl? (https://www.healthboards.com/boards/depression/381842-xanax-withdrawl.html)

Chuck65 04-11-2006 08:12 AM

XANAX withdrawl?

Hi all,

I've been taking 2 mg of Xanax per night to sleep for nearly a year now. Always works well but my depression is very bad.

My new doctor has put me on Paxil CR 12.5 mg and Lunesta 3mg to help me sleep. He recommended that I cut my xanax dosage in half and he did tell me to watch out for side effects.

Well, five days into this and I feel horrible. Shakey, numb, I can't sleep (maybe six hours last two nights) I feel medicated and I don't know how to get through the day.

Are these xanax withdrawl side effects, side effects of starting up on Paxil or am I going through "another hard time"?

Any insight greatly appreciated.

Thank you all.

beachlady 04-11-2006 08:39 AM

Re: XANAX withdrawl?

Don't Know If This Will Help You, But This Is What Happend To Me.

I Have Depression And Anxiety And Am Taking 10mg Lexapro And 1 02 2 Mg Of Lorazapam At Night To Help Me Sleep. However, I Became So Depessed And Anxious That I Started Taking 4-5 Lorazapam During The Day And I Then Started Taking Some Xanax Along With It. Did This On And Off For A Few Months. I Became Even Worse And Experienced The Worst Depression And Anxiety And Ended With With A Panic Attack. What Was Happening Was I Was Having A Reaction To All The Drugs And It Was The Xanax Withdrawl That Was The Worst. My Heart Was Racing, Thought I Was Going To Have A Heart Attack, I Was Sweating All Over, My Palms Sweating, Had A Headache, My Nerves Felt Like They Were On File, I Had Flu Like Symptoms, Gas, Throwing Up, I Could Not Sleep Or Concentrate On Anything. I Knew I Had To Go Through This To Get The Xanax Out Of My Bloodstream, And For Me It Took About Two Weeks. It Was The Worst Two Weeks Of My Life And I Will Never Forget It.

So, It Very Well Be What You Are Experiencing Is A Withdrawl From Xanax. It Is The Worst Thing I Have Ever Taken, And I Would Never Touch It Again.

I Continue With Lexapro And Lorazapam And Feel Much Better. I Truly Believe The Xanax Was A Real Wakeup Call For Me.

If You Can Wean Yourself Off, Slowly, You Will Be Much Better, But It Takes Time And You Will Go Through Hell And Feel Lousy For A While.

Take Care, Let Me Know How You Are Doing.

Judi In Florida

mjewell 04-11-2006 08:52 AM

Chuck -

That is a lot of changes going on in your body at one time. I don't think your doctor was real smart in having you start Paxil and cut Xanax at the same time. Oftentimes doctors prescribe a benzo specifically for those starting on an AD to counteract the side effects - your dr. just did the opposite.

So, it could be Xanax withdrawals, it could be Paxil side effects, or it could be a combo of both. Of course your decision is up to you and your doctor, but if I were you I would continue taking your Xanax as you have until the Paxil kicks in...as you probably know it doesn't work right away.

Chuck65 04-11-2006 11:03 AM

Thanks for the reply.

I have a call in to my doctor about it. My therapist wants me to stay the course and wait it out. This is rough. She says give it at last a week. Oye.

I'm in a very fast paced, competitive business and I need to be as sharp as possible at all times. I feel so foggy, achy and exhausted that it's next to impossible to do that.

I know it's ultimately my decision. I had a very bad experience on Cymbalta and Trazadone a couple of months ago. It freaked me out so bad that I dumped it ASAP and went back to only my Xanax.

pinkrose12 04-11-2006 11:50 AM

Chuck,

I took xanax daily for many years to prevent panic attacks. It worked very well for me but I did find that once the xanax level in my blood was getting low I would have a rebound anxiety attack with a full blown panic attack on its way unless I immediately took some xanax.

A major problem with xanax is that it has a short half-life.

My doctor put me on klonopin which has a much longer half-life so I don't have to worry about re-bound anxiety attacks. I had no withdrawal from the xanax when I switched to klonopin.

However, I found xanax more effective than klonopin for anxiety attacks I had around things like flying or fear of having a terminal disease.

I know nothing about paxial as I never took it. :wave: