It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Depression Message Board

• starting lexapro

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 04-11-2006, 06:30 PM   #1
    Johndg2
    (male)

Johndg2 HB User
    starting lexapro

I've been on 10 mg of lexapro for exactly a month now. Although I do feel much better, there has been a lot of ups and downs as expected when starting this medication( in comparison to the Paxil I took for two years. After one week on paxil, I was all "fixed up", it was dramatic; like the doc couldn't believe it. )

I saw my new doc today, and she said to up the dose to 20 mg in 2-3 weeks if it doesn't completely "kick in" at 10 mg. It seems like she's leaving this up to me. So I'll wait a couple weeks.

As for now, has anyone else had moderate to good success with lexapro in the first month, and then perhaps it started working very well with or without dosage increase?
    Any lexapro stories would be great. Take care, John

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 04-13-2006, 06:09 PM   #2
    mellowfish
    Veteran
    (female)

mellowfish HB User
    Re: starting lexapro

I just started taking Lexapro myself. Even though everyone reacts differently on AD's it's still pleasant to be able to read about their experiences.

Old 04-13-2006, 07:19 PM   #3
    harlequin
    Inactive
    (male)

harlequin HB User

I would just point out that antidepressant medications and their effects are very specific to the person that's taking them, and that any stories you might get are really just about that person's personal reaction to the Lexapro. It's not like penicillin for strep throat.

Beyond that, why did you not just go back on the Paxil if it worked so well? You had good relief from it before. Why fix it if it's not broken?

I personally went in and asked for doxepin, because I knew it had worked for me before. Since I really didn't have "my wits about me" I consented to try Lexapro since the prescriber suggested it. It made me feel like s***, and I couldn't imagine a month feeling that bad before it kicked in. Now I feel much better on the doxepin, which is what I asked for in the first place.

Everybody's nervous system is different. You'll get "anecdotal data" which doesn't really mean anything.

Again, if Paxil worked before, why didn't you just go back on the Paxil?

Old 04-14-2006, 12:26 AM   #4
    Okie2
    (female)

Okie2 HB User

harlequin is right, everyone reacts differently to different meds. However, my psch.dr. suggested I try a combination of welbutrin and zoloft. she said it has been reported that the two together give better results. In my case, I am bipolar, depressive type with psychosis so I take the antidepressants and very small doses of the old antipsychotic thorazine [yes, thorazine!]. The new med combination is working great and since I've been off the effexor I've lost 30 lbs! Btw, the thorazine is a minimum dose [25mg 1 to 2 times a day] and I have had no side effects other than some minimal constipation.

So, again, it really depends on how your body reacts. Having been through most all of the antidepressants because my body adjusted to them and they became ineffective, I am really happy with the current combination.

LR

Old 04-14-2006, 01:18 AM   #5
    MagicSunshine
    Inactive
    (female)

MagicSunshine HB User

Hi John,

All of the previous posts were great, so I will just tell you about my own expeience. I started on lexapro Feb. 21 of this year. At first it made me sleepy, but now I take the 10 mgs when I wake up.

I have to say it's helped me a lot. There are a few things no meds can fix that are going on in my life, but I like that. Lexpro takes care of depression and anxiety and still lets me feel normal. I like it because it doesn't make me feel like a zombie. I feel alert now and I think this one is a keeper. I also take elavil(amiltriptyline) a tricyclic. (not sure about the spelling. it's 4:00 a. m. and I haven't been to sleep yet.

I wish you the best and be sure to let us know how you're doing....Take Care...Connie

Old 04-14-2006, 08:41 AM   #6
    Johndg2
    (male)

Johndg2 HB User

Thanks for the replies. I thought about asking for Paxil again, but I am concerned with the weight gain. Since I've been off paxil, I've lost 30 lbs. Plus if I can stop taking medications, I know that paxil for certain gave me horrible withdrawls.

The lexapro IS working, albeit slower than the Paxil. Like C.L. said, I feel more normal when it is "working" through parts of the day. It's just been up and down, when the paxil had really harsh side effects during the first week (like I felt I was taking a street drug) and then it REALY kicked in, almost too much, I was on top of the world for two months, and then it leveled out, and I felt level, and started gaining weight. Which could have been from the zyprexa too.

Lexapro has been alot milder on the start, which makes me think that it could be a long term investment, and it won't be as difficult too ween off if that comes up. Also, I have only been sleeping 8 hours; with the paxil, I sleep like 12-13 hrs.

I feel almost normal today. Thanks again for the comments, John

Old 04-14-2006, 03:58 PM   #7
    Chrisdf
    (female)

Chrisdf HB User

hi john i took paxil for 2 years and felt great got depressed out of no where.....all of a sudden didnt work have gone to effexor...made me worse now he has me on wellbutrin dosnt work want to start lexapro scared just want to feel normal ,i think cause its a ssri it should work like the paxil so you like the lexapro Thanks chris

Old 04-14-2006, 04:15 PM   #8
    Johndg2
    (male)

Johndg2 HB User

hey chris,
    I hope you find something that starts working. The lexapro has been working pretty good for me, just not perfect like the paxil. Today has been the best day since I started. I've been on it about 4.5 weeks. It definatly has more of an energy boosting/slight appetite supressing quality compared to the Paxil that made me sleep and get fat.
    I started taking lexapro because I was having these awful terrible head and body feelings, very lethargic, just felt nasty. Usually people start medication when there problems stem from mostly emotional/psychological issues I think. I got hit by some wierd depression funk after being sick with sinus infections, and viral infections since really in October. It got bad when I got sick again in December, and just never got better.
    Try not to be scared, it can be rough when you don't feel normal for a long time, I know, we've all been through it. Do what you can with diet and exercise.
    I take fich oil and vitamins, drink lots of water, no caffiene or sugar, and I eat well, I don't drink alcohol, or drugs. I think the alcohol, and occasional pot added to my depression, and set off psychotc episodes even though I didnt even really drink that much.
    Yes, I thnk the lexapro is a good thing. I really liked the ST. Johns wort and 5-HTP, but it just stopped working when I got sick. I've heard this happen to others before .
    pieces, John

Last edited by Johndg2; 04-14-2006 at 04:16 PM.

Old 04-14-2006, 06:08 PM   #9
    Spin444
    Inactive
    (female)

Spin444 HB User

John, I don't know when you stopped taking Paxil. It and it's withdrawal could account for some of what you're feeling.

Old 04-14-2006, 07:08 PM   #10
    Johndg2
    (male)

Johndg2 HB User

I stopped taking paxil about a year and a half ago. The withdrawals went away. That's how I discovered 5-HTP, to help after I completely weened myself off paxil. You brough up a good point, and I even thought that it may have something to do with Paxil. But I'm pretty sure it doesn't. I know the paxil withdrawal feeling and that wasn't it. I've even thought that perhaps I am withdrawaling from the st. John's wort and 5-HTP since it "stopped working" when I got sick. I'm not sure how likely that is, I've never come across it. There is really no way of knowing. I just know know I feel physically better than I did just a month ago, a big difference, but I still need to improve.

Old 04-14-2006, 08:24 PM   #11
    MagicSunshine
    Inactive
    (female)

MagicSunshine HB User

John and Chris,

I haven't gained any weight on lexapro, but I never gained weight on the amiltriplyne (elavil) either. I've been on it for years. Maybe for some that are having trouble finding the right AD, should consider some of the older drugs in the tryciclic group.

Just a thought but I hope you both do well,
    TC.........Connie

Old 04-14-2006, 10:18 PM   #12
    Spin444
    Inactive
    (female)

Spin444 HB User

Lexapro psychiatric side effects - dreaming abnormal, yawning, appetite increased, lethargy, irritability, concentration impaired. Agitation, jitteriness, apathy, panic reaction, restlessness aggravated, nervousness, forgetfulness, suicide attempt, depression aggravated, feeling unreal, excitability, emotional lability, crying abnormal, depression, anxiety attack, depersonalization, suicidal tendency, bruxism, confusion, carbohydrate craving, amnesia, tremulousness nervous, auditory hallucination.

Last edited by Spin444; 04-14-2006 at 10:47 PM.

Old 04-15-2006, 12:42 AM   #13
    MagicSunshine
    Inactive
    (female)

MagicSunshine HB User

I can speak from experience, that people taking lexapro DO NOT have all of those side effects. Nor do they gain weight. I found it to be the most gentle drug I've ever been on. It doesn't make you feel like a zombie.I like that part. I am alert enough to still deal with every day problems. Lexapro doesn't cover them up, and it shouldn't. It does work on the depression rather well. For me it's been great.

We only offer opinions here. No one should tell a person not to take anything. Spin isn't a dr. so she could hurt someone by telling them what to do, rather than suggesting. I'm so afraid a person is going to stop a AD that is keeping them from taking their life. Sorry, but my concern comes from my heart.

TC..............Connie

Old 04-15-2006, 01:18 AM   #14
    jabba jabba
    (male)

jabba jabba HB User

i think everyone should forget what spin wrote, if serotonin is the problem which it usually is for people with depression then theres hardly any chance of having them side effects and escitalopram has by far the best side effects profile anyway, your likely to have the daytime sleepiness but that soon passes...

Old 04-15-2006, 08:53 AM   #15
    Johndg2
    (male)

Johndg2 HB User

ditto thanks C.L. and jabba. I feel like lexapro is way more gentle than paxil. I've only taken those two. I'm reacting to lexapro in much the same way as C.L. in that I don't feel zombieish, and it's not "covering" up anything, yet I feel better. I'm not sure if the paxil covered up my problems, it just made me feel super good for two months, when prior I was really bad off.

Spin, your post are more appropriate for people withdrawaling from medication. I read alot about withdrawals too, why don't you offer advice on how to GET THROUGH the withdrawals instead of just ranting about how bad medication is. Most people don't WANT to be on medication, I sure don't, I fought it for a while, the "natural" medications stopped working, and now the lexapro IS helping. Some people actually really need meds like C.L. said.

Closed Thread