It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Depression Message Board

• Lexapro

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 10-11-2003, 11:17 PM   #1
    lori j
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

lori j HB User
    Post Lexapro

Hi, just found this board, I just started on Lexapro last Monday & thought I have the stomach flu, been queasy for about 3 days & fuzzy headed feeling. I am still weaning off amitriptyline while taking 10mg of Lexapro. Anyone else have these side effects? Any successes with this med? I'd like to hear how people are doing with it, I understand it's fairly new. Thanks

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 10-12-2003, 11:54 AM   #2
    jimmy45

jimmy45 HB User
    Hi Lori:

please get back to me, in reference to this message. I do have a good answer and advice for you while taking Lexapro; however I cannot reply in full at this time because currently I am a new user of Health Boards.com and am not positive you will get even this message. Please let me know if it goes thru okay. thanks

JIMMY

Old 10-12-2003, 04:23 PM   #3
    fiddledd
    (female)

fiddledd HB User
    Thumbs up

Hi Lori,
    I just switched from Effexor to Lexapro. I was weaned off the Effexor over 2 weeks, while tapering on to the Lexapro. Now I'm at the target dosage of 10 mg of Lexapro. I also take Wellbutrin SR (150 mg) twice daily. In the beginning I was taking the Lexapro in the morning, since that's when I had been taking the Effexor. I had mild nausea and was very sleepy all day. I switched to taking it 30 minutes before bedtime about 4 days ago, and I see a big improvement. Or maybe my system is just adapting to Lexapro. Whatever the case, the quality of my sleep is better than it has been in years, and I feel almost peppy when I wake up in the morning. No nausea or sleepiness during the day, and if there's nausea during the night, I sleep through it. I can feel my mood lifting, too, after the irritability and teariness which was surely related to withdrawing from the effexor. When I go back to the doctor in 2 weeks, I'll check the dosing times, but in the meantime, I'll do what seems to be working.
    The only other side effect I've noticed is that my shoulders and arms seem to be tensed when I awaken in the morning. That may get better, or, if it doesn't get any worse, I can live with it.
    I hope it will work for you too. Give it some time, and keep checking in.

Old 10-12-2003, 09:28 PM   #4
    CLC1
    Inactive

CLC1 HB User
    I have been taking Lexapro for almost 9 months. It is not helping me. I am extremely depressed.

Old 10-12-2003, 11:24 PM   #5
    lori j
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

lori j HB User
    Thank you for the replies, I cut the pill in half last nite & only did 5 mg and today I felt much better, the nausea that is. I also found rather than fighting it, if I keep something in my stomach the nausea goes away. I'm rather hyped (manic) tonite, this is the first time I've had to change meds in 7 years, so not used to these new weird feelings! UGH!!! I am hoping I get the great feeling that many have reported from Lexapro, my other anti-d was not working at all anymore. I'll keep checking back & thanks for the nice welcome & replies.

Old 10-16-2003, 10:34 PM   #6
    lori j
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

lori j HB User
    Well, after 4 good days on the 5mg, the nausea was back in full force today, in fact it started about an hour after I took my pill last nite & hasn't let up yet! ARGHHHH!!!!

Old 10-17-2003, 06:00 AM   #7
    krazyboy_w

krazyboy_w HB User
    Hey there, I have been on Lexapro for three weeks now. My Doc started me on 10mg and now I am up to 20mg. I had bad nausea, headaches and an overall fuzzy feeling. My Doc told me to take 15mg to get used to the higher dose but I ignored him and started right at 20mg. I feel so stoned today and last night I even wet the bed!! Gosh. I took the advice of someone on this thread and started to take my meds before bedtime. That seemed to help with the nausea and even helped me sleep better. Good Luck with this med. I have seen some improvement. I am on the meds for sex addicition and it seems to be helping. Good Luck again.

Old 10-17-2003, 07:14 PM   #8
    kreative

kreative HB User
    Hello,

I'm taking lexapro, I've been on it for 3 months. I love it, it has helped my despression a lot. Lexapro doesn't give me any bad side effects. I/m taking 30 mgs.

kreative

Old 10-17-2003, 08:13 PM   #9
    lori j
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

lori j HB User
    Krazyboy & kreative, thanks for your replies, I'm hanging in there, but I just can't sleep on this med. Maybe once it kicks in fully, it will help me to sleep. Now, instead of obsessing about everything else, I obsess about whether or not I'll be able to sleep. That's a horrible feeling! Today, there was no nausea, but it seems one day is good & another bad. UGH!

Old 10-17-2003, 08:15 PM   #10
    lori j
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

lori j HB User
    Krazyboy & kreative, thanks for your replies, I'm hanging in there, but I just can't sleep on this med. Maybe once it kicks in fully, it will help me to sleep. Now, instead of obsessing about everything else, I obsess about whether or not I'll be able to sleep. That's a horrible feeling! Today, there was no nausea, but it seems one day is good & another bad. UGH!

Old 10-17-2003, 09:31 PM   #11
    purrsia

purrsia HB User
    Just weaning off of Lexapro...withdrawals symptoms were awful! Am on Wellbutrin now. Lexapro did seem to help a bit and the only side effect I had was a HUGE weight gain of over 40 lbs. I went from being super thin to being overweight in just 6 months! After much research on Lexapro, it overall seems to be a great drug with so many people aside from the weight gain. Try going to search engines...you will see alot of comments on Lexapro, both good and bad. Good luck and hang in there.

Old 10-17-2003, 10:14 PM   #12
    CLC1
    Inactive

CLC1 HB User
    Holy crap I hope I don't gain a lot of weight.

Old 10-17-2003, 10:23 PM   #13
    lori j
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

lori j HB User
    CLC1, I don't think you will gain a lot of weight, if you've been on it 9 months already & haven't then I wouldn't worry about it. I am losing weight on it. I read on their website that is a side affect, but others here have said they gain on it, others have said they lost.

Old 10-18-2003, 11:26 AM   #14
    aklori

aklori HB User
    Lori J I just started Lexapro this last Tuesady on 10mg.I felt way out there for 2 days so I cut it in half to .5 mg.I do feel a little better but still feel not myself.My jaw hurts in the morning and have noticed some muscle twitches.Im not hungary at all and have no sex drive.I do find it better to take before bed though.Have you tried taking it before bed?

------------------

Old 10-18-2003, 11:16 PM   #15
    lori j
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

lori j HB User
    aklori, Yes I am taking it at bedtime, I have had rapid heartbeat & insomnia from it or maybe it's from panic right now, as I'm off my old med & this one hasn't kicked in yet. I get in a total panic when I try to go to sleep & my heart rate goes wild & then I lay there worrying about that & can't sleep! I could handle the other side affects if I could get some sleep!! Let me know how you think it's doing for you, I'd appreciate it.

Closed Thread