It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Depression Message Board

• Effexor Xr & Adderall

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 10-19-2003, 12:45 PM   #1
    oceanchic

oceanchic HB User
    Post Effexor Xr & Adderall

I am new to this board, I usually post on the ADD board. I am curious if anyone here ever taken Effexor XR for depression/anxiety combined with a stimulant for ADD? I am supposed to be starting effexor and I am a little nervous about the combo? I currently take 40mg of Adderall a day. Any advise?

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 10-19-2003, 04:26 PM   #2
    ftlmatt

ftlmatt HB User
    i sure wish i could find a doctor down here in south florida that would prescribe me dexedrine or ritalin for me add/depression!!! LOL hand them out to 5 year olds like candy though.
    now u have depression with anxiety right? and you are being treated for your add with a stimulant which in turn might be the cause for anxiety? am i right so far? and then want to add effexor xr to your regimine for the anxiety? this is just my opinion..not a doctor but i know more than my doctor does about the brain and drugs that affect it...hard to say how you would react..it might help, or it might make your anxiety worse. i would start effexor 37.5mg for the first week and see how that goes..75 the second week. if your anxiety is getting worse then lower the dose slowly....have you talked to your doctor about generic xanax for your anxiety? i take 2mg an hour before bedtime (cause i take 300mg effexor xr and 450 wellbutrin sr. daily) for anxiety though you probably could start on 1mg. taken three times daily to see how that works...the first couple weeks of xanax therapy you will be tired, etc. but u will be surprised on how well it treats anxiety! i have no problems being addicted to it (i have an addicted personality) and when i run out of it for a few days no withdrawl symptoms....plus i pay only $25 bucks for a month supply of the generic!
    personally i would try the xanax first...but remember i am not a doctor and that is my opinion.
    and if there is any doctor willing to help me out with my ADD in south florida please let me know!!! i currently receive both my meds through their outreach programs and am in a study that involves hiv medication have add/depression

Old 10-20-2003, 08:27 PM   #3
    oceanchic

oceanchic HB User
    i have thought a lot about Xanax actually, I have heard a lot of good things about it. I am really kin of scared to start my Effexor, I have been staring at this sample perscription for a week now. I just don't want anything to make my anxiety work. I think I may head back to my doc and tell him I am worried about the Effexor and see what he thinks about Zanax. My doctor is really great about that kind of stuff, he realizes that there is so much info out on the web right now it can be hard to decide on a combo that is right for you. I have been playing around with my meds for a few months now but have yet to find a good combo. Thanks for the tips. I think I will give your idea a try!

Old 04-27-2004, 05:40 PM   #4
    Ibiza

Ibiza HB User
    Re: Effexor Xr & Adderall

Theres no reason to be afraid of taking effexor, and actually effexor and adderall is a common combo. Effexor will only help you. Adderall is something you should be catious of more before taking it, but you obviously have ADD (but remember not to take more than you are prescribed to). You can't take xanax the same time you take adderall, adderall is a stimulant and xanax a depressent and sedative. Also xanax is only a temporary solution to anxiety, it's more commonly for sudden tragic events g causing you anxiety that you need to rid of. If effexor works it will show itself after a few weeks. Also, effexor might even help you with not only depression and anxiety, but also your ADD too.

Old 04-27-2004, 05:42 PM   #5
    Ibiza

Ibiza HB User
    Re: Effexor Xr & Adderall

Oh by the way, Ftlmatt, please contact me

Last edited by mentalhealth mod; 07-16-2010 at 12:14 PM.

Closed Thread