It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Depression Message Board

• Help, How Do You Know If You Have Clinical Depession And Or An Anxiety Disorder?

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 04-19-2006, 05:12 AM   #1
    beachlady
    Inactive
    (female)

beachlady HB User
    Question Help, How Do You Know If You Have Clinical Depession And Or An Anxiety Disorder?

I Need Help. I Am Going Monday, April 24th To See A Psychiarist For The First Time. I Am Terrified That She Will Think That I Am Ok And Ask A Few Questions, Look At The Meds I Take, Maybe Change Them And Send Me On My Way.

You See, I Believe I Have Been Depressed Most Of My Life, And Have Been Living With It For Years. Sometimes It Is Worse Than Other Times And Years Ago When I Had A Really Bad Time, I Was Hospitalized For A Few Days And Released. I Have Seen Therapisists And Psycharists On And Off For Years, Really Never Coming To Any Conculsion And None Of Them Ever Told Me I Suffered From Depression.

No Doctor Has Ever Put Me On Medication For Depression, Yet I Have Taken Prozac, Celexa And Now Lexapro For Years. My Husband Is A Pharimist And So Getting The Medication Is Quite Easy. He Himself Takes Zoloft And He Has Never Been Diagnoised With Anything, It Just Kind Of Keeps Him Calmer In This Crazy World We Live In.

I Have Always Lived With Shadows Of My Childhood, Not Having Much Memory Of It At All, Only Remembering A Few Times, Not So Good And I Have Always Thought That I Should Never Have Been Born Because I Was Not Born Out Of Love. I Think I Fell Through The Cracks.

Three Years Ago When My Family Moved From Oregon To Florida, I Know Is When This Terrible Bout Of Depression Began. I Did Not Realize It The First Year, But Slowly It Became Worse And Worse And I Developed A General Anxiety Disorder And Now I Am Terrified Beause Some Days I Feel Perfectly Normal And Other Days I Cant Get Out Of Bed.

I Quit My Job Because I Was So Scared, I Am Afraid Of Everything. I Am Afraid To Even Go Out Of The House And Walk The Dog. I Dont Talk To Anyone, And I Have Disassocited Myself With All Family, Friends, Neighbors And Just Mostly Stay In The House. I Pace Around Looking Out The Window A Hundred Times A Day.

The Scarey Thing Is That I Look Perfectly Normal. No One Would Every Guess What I Am Feeling Inside And I Can Hide It And Pretend To Be Perfectly Normal, If I Have To.

So My Question Is, How Is The Doctor That I Am Going To See Figure Out What Exactly Is Wrong With Me? I Am Afraid If She Asks Me Questions, I Will Outsmart Her With My Answers. I Dont Have Much Trust In Doctors, So I Dont Know How She Will Figure Out What Is Going On Inside Me?

Any Help And Or Advise Would Be So Appreciated. You See, I Really Dont Believe That I Can Be Helped, Because I Have Lived With This Depression Most Of My Life, I Realize It Can Be Helped With The Right Medication, But To Cure Me Of This, No I Dont Believe It Will Ever Happen. Too Many Things Have Happend In My Life And I Am Too Scared Of The Past, Present And Future To Ever Be Rid Of This.

Help Me Please, I Dont Know How To Act Or What To Say When I Go To The Doctor. I Hate It When They Say "why Are You Here", And What Can I Do For You?

I Will Scream If She Says That!

Help************************************ ***************

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 04-19-2006, 05:38 AM   #2
    harlequin
    Inactive
    (male)

harlequin HB User
    Re: Help, How Do You Know If You Have Clinical Depession And Or An Anxiety Disorder?

Judy-

Like I said yesterday, I'm really concerned about you.

Why would you want to "outsmart" the psychiatrist with your answers when you are in so much pain?

....deleted...
    do not copy and paste from other websites.

Although you've had the availability of antidepressant medications for a long time, and have been taking them, there's no way to know if they were "right for you", and no way to know if you got the correct dose or took them for a long enough time.

Last edited by Administrator; 04-19-2006 at 02:29 PM.

Old 04-19-2006, 06:21 AM   #3
    beachlady
    Inactive
    (female)

beachlady HB User
    Re: Help, How Do You Know If You Have Clinical Depession And Or An Anxiety Disorder?

Harlequin,

I Think The Thing That Scares Me The Most, Is Most Of The People Posting On This Board, Know What Is Wrong With Them, They Have Been Diagnoised And Have Or Are Under Treatment.

With Me, I Am Only Guessing What Is Wrong, And I Have Lived With It For So Long, I Just Think This Is How I Am, This Is My Life. I Really Dont Believe That With Or Without Treatment I Will Be Any Different.

Thank You Again So Much, And I Hope I Can Consider You My Friend And If You Ever Need Anything, Please Post So I Can Answer You.

Judi

Last edited by Administrator; 04-19-2006 at 02:30 PM.

Old 04-19-2006, 06:29 AM   #4
    Spin444
    Inactive
    (female)

Spin444 HB User

You obviously have problems that need addressing. write something out, as though you were writing to a dear friend or someone here, with your whole story. That way, you won't have to worry about changing things when she makes you nervous. She'll probably still ask questions, but will be forewarned that you might have trouble answering.

"No Doctor Has Ever Put Me On Medication For Depression, Yet I Have Taken Prozac, Celexa And Now Lexapro For Years"

So it's your husband who's been prescribing drugs for you? I'm sorry, but I can't remember if you're on anything now. I always mention this - is there a chance that your drugs have caused some of your problems. They all carry an even worsening of depression and anxiety as side effects. Pharmacists shouldn't be playing doctor. I'm sure that you both know that: " I Am Terrified That She Will Think That I Am Ok And Ask A Few Questions, Look At The Meds I Take, Maybe Change Them And Send Me On My Way." That's pretty much what happens to everyone. There is no sure fire way to test for any psychiatric "disorder" or any way of knowing what brain chemical is "out of balance" and subsequently, no way of knowing what drug or cocktail of drugs will balance it or make you feel better.

It sounds to me like you just want a doctor to diagnose you - that it will make you feel better just to have a name for it, but I don't see how that will help. If you've already been on 3 SSRIs that are "supposed" to treat depression and you're still in such a bad way, why would you think that more drugs are going to do the trick?

I say, look at the drugs you've taken and you might find an answer as to why you have some or worsening problems. It's very, very common for someone to start a drug and then get worse or have even more problems. "Emotional lability" (instability. sometimes severe) is a side effect of all of the drugs you've taken and, once altered, the brain sometimes has a very difficult time healing.The truth is that nobody in the medical field really knows if a "biochemical imbalance" is the cause of any mental disorder, and they don't know how even the hypothesized "biochemical imbalances" could produce the emotional, cognitive, and behavioural symptoms that characterize any mental disorder. Clever marketing tactics exercised by the pharmaceutical industry, have prevailed above scientifical evidence and research.

In any case, I'm sure that your new doctor will "treat" you and maybe it will help you. I hope so. Have you ruled out all physical problems that could be associated with your depression and anxiety? Have you had your blood tested for thyroid problems? Could menopause be a problem? Could you be hypoglycemic by chance? I ate sugary treats all the way home from Wisconsin on Sunday night, because I was bored while driving and the next day was one of the worst I ever had. Every thought was so negative and I could barely get through the day, even missing my evening class. At first, I didn't know what was going on, but then figured that it must be the sugar. It was awful and I so feel for anyone who has to feel that way everyday. Do you drink coffee or alcohol? Can you get some exercise - maybe get a treadmill?

Good luck?

Last edited by Administrator; 04-19-2006 at 02:31 PM.

Old 04-19-2006, 08:15 AM   #5
    beachlady
    Inactive
    (female)

beachlady HB User

Spin444 - Thank You So Much, You Are Too Kind. I Wonder When I Found These Boards, How So Many People Could Care About Me, When You All Have Such Profound Problems, And I Think Mine Is Nothing Like Some Of The Things You All Experience. You Could Be Right, I Take One 10mg Lexapro In The Am And I Take Lorazapam For Anxiety And To Help Me Sleep At Night, And This Has Been My Program For Years. It Could Be The Drugs Are Causing The Depression And Or Anxiety. I Never Thought About It That Way.

I Think One Of The Reasons I Am So Scared To See The Doctor, Is That She Will Be Told That I Am On Lexapro And Lorazapam And If None Of These Ease My Depression Or Anxiety, Then What Is There Left To Do?

I Dont Know Why I Dont Feel Better Or Why I Am In Such Bad Shape Now.

I Will Let You Know After I See The Doctor On Monday. The Worst Part Of This Whole Episode For Me Is That 5 Weeks Ago, When I Was Really Bad, Having Panic Attacks, Heart Racing, Sweating All Over, Nerves Feeling Like They Were All Firing At The Same Time, I Wanted To Jump Out Of My Skin, I Cound Not Sleep, Eat, Drink Water, I Was A Total Mess And I Needed A Docto R Then And I Could Not Get An Appointment. When I Really Needed Someone, There Was No One. Now, I Realy Dont Know What To Think.

Thank You My Friend.

Judi

Old 04-19-2006, 09:21 AM   #6
    harlequin
    Inactive
    (male)

harlequin HB User

Judi-

Of course I will say, "you're welcome", but it really only took about three minutes.

I think in some way you should provide the psychiatrist with exactly the information that you started this thread with- except for the part about getting it from your husband. The Board of Pharmacy might have a really big problem with that if they were to find out. And as a health professional, I have to say that I disapprove of that. He should definitely consider not doing that any more.

But please don't let that stop you from telling the psychiatrist in great detail what's going on with you. She really needs to know that to make the right plan of treatment.

If you've only been on three SSRI's and lorazepam, there is plenty left to do. It might just be a matter of the right doses of SSRI and lorazepam. The reason you don't feel better may very well be that you were on a "suboptimal dose" of at least the Lexapro. Or maybe the SSRI's haven't been working for you. The newest data I've seen shows that the "old" class of medications, the tricyclics, are pretty much as effective in treating depression with anxiety and panic as the SSRI's, and the unexpected side effects of SSRI's are beginning to show themselves.

I do have to admit to you that as a health professional, I think it's really dangerous to be taking antidepressants, especially Lexapro or any SSRI, without the supervision and monitoring of a qualified practitioner. I think you should be honest with the psychiatrist that you were taking them, so that the psychiatrist really knows in fine detail what you've had experience with. Whether or not you want to tell the psychiatrist you've been getting it from your husband the pharmacist is your decision, but the Board of Pharmacy may have a problem with it. But you should find a way to tell the psychiatrist that you've been taking these medications, even if you don't mention your husband. I repeat that the psychiatrist should know absolutely everything about you, down to the finest detail.

And Spin and I at least agree on the thought of physical causes, such as thyroid, hypoglycemia, and menopause. And the possiblility of being on "suboptimal" doses of the three SSRI's still remains a big issue. It could very well be that any of those three SSRI's, suboptimal or not, could be causing anxiety as a side effect.

But please do tell the psychiatrist absolutely everything, even if you don't think she needs to know it. That's the only way you're going to get the correct treatment plan. And like Spin says, you should at least be checked for those three physical causes.

I percieve you as being in a great deal of distress. Please do tell the psychiatrist everything.

Old 04-19-2006, 09:39 AM   #7
    Spin444
    Inactive
    (female)

Spin444 HB User

Judy, the following is published information about Lexapro:

The following symptoms, anxiety, agitation, panic attacks, insomnia, irritability, hostility, aggressiveness, impulsivity, akathisia (psychomotor restlessness), hypomania, and mania, have been reported in adult and pediatric patients being treated with antidepressants for major depressive disorder as well as for other indications, both psychiatric and nonpsychiatric.

Consideration should be given to changing the therapeutic regimen, including possibly discontinuing the medication, in patients whose depression is persistently worse, or who are experiencing emergent suicidality or symptoms that might be precursors to worsening depression or suicidality, especially if these symptoms are severe, abrupt in onset, or were not part of the patient's presenting symptoms.

Clinical Worsening and Suicide Risk: Patients, their families, and their caregivers should be encouraged to be alert to the emergence of anxiety, agitation, panic attacks, insomnia, irritability, hostility, aggressiveness, impulsivity, akathisia (psychomotor restlessness), hypomania, mania, other unusual changes in behavior, worsening of depression, and suicidal ideation, especially early during antidepressant treatment and when the dose is adjusted up or down. Families and caregivers of patients should be advised to observe for the emergence of such symptoms on a day-to-day basis, since changes may be abrupt. Such symptoms should be reported to the patient's prescriber or health professional, especially if they are severe, abrupt in onset, or were not part of the patient's presenting symptoms. Symptoms such as these may be associated with an increased risk for suicidal thinking and behavior and indicate a need for very close monitoring and possibly changes in the medication.

Psychiatric Disorders-- Frequent : appetite increased, lethargy, irritability, concentration impaired. Infrequent : jitteriness, panic reaction, agitation, apathy, forgetfulness, depression aggravated, nervousness, restlessness aggravated, suicide attempt, amnesia, anxiety attack, bruxism, carbohydrate craving, confusion, depersonalization, disorientation, emotional lability, feeling unreal, tremulousness nervous, crying abnormal, depression, excitability, auditory hallucination, suicidal tendency.

There are MANY factors that could be causing some or all of your problems, not just the things that I mentioned. Food allergies are a common source of trouble. Have that checked out? If you drink artificially sweetened diet sodas, try to quit and, like I said, cut out sugar, caffeine and alcohol if you can. Do a simple search on natural help for depression. There's a ton of it out there.

Also, there is no such thing as an "suboptimal" dose of Lexapro. Some here have been concerned when negative drug stories appear, but feel compelled to advise what drugs to take and what doses. It's not responsible.

I hope that you can do some research, especially on Lexapro dangers. You'll clearly see that many are having trouble on the drug.

Good luck!!!

Last edited by Spin444; 04-19-2006 at 09:46 AM.

Old 04-19-2006, 12:16 PM   #8
    macadamiaNUT
    Inactive
    (female)

macadamiaNUT HB User

Judi,

I'm glad you made that very difficult phone call. Calling someone to see about getting some help is such a hurdle, and you've hopped over that one. Way to go. It sounds like you are feeling close to the end of your rope enough that you feel like it is "time" to find out what is going on with you and if something can be done to help better.

All the things you mentioned doing during your days from not going out, feeling afraid to go out, but looking just fine on the outside could have described me at my worse too. It's as close to the bottom of the pit as you want to ever get.

Yes, do consider printing out (most of) your post (copy and paste it and take out the pharmacy portion, as harlequin suggested). As someone who "fakes good" enough that no one would ever guess how bad I might be feeling, handing over your printed post can keep you on track for getting the evaluation and help you are looking for. You do have to hand it over though, or else be willing to tell your doctor everything.

She isn't going to think badly of you, or send you anywhere, or anything of the sort. She's there to assess your situation, figure out if you are a danger to yourself or others (doesn't sound like it), and work with you on what can be done to get you feeling good/like yourself/normal.

As far as what might help, yes, vitamins and exercise and natural things CAN help, but they are most effective for mild to moderate depression/anxiety, and I think (JMHO) you are leaning beyond moderate, sweetie. So, again, way to go on knowing and acknowledging yourself on when to get help for you. Keep us posted.

Old 04-19-2006, 12:38 PM   #9
    Spin444
    Inactive
    (female)

Spin444 HB User

Alcohol, marijuana, food allergies, artificial sweeteners, antidepressants, etc., CAN cause severe depression and anxiety in some and can exacerbate pre-existing conditions. Some with mild to moderate problems can often lesson the symptoms considerably, through diet, the right exercise and talk therapy and trying to get off a drug that has made their problems worse.

Judy, if indeed, some or much of your problem was caused by Lexapro, more drugs may cause even more problems for you. It's obvious that the 3 SSRIs you've tried, have not helped you at all, in fact, probably made things much worse. Help does NOT have to mean drugging yourself. I'd be leary of any doctor who used it as a first option. It's too bad that, if your husband has been medicating you, that you can't share your drug history because it's pretty important and clear evidence that drugs might not be the way to go for you. I've talked about my sister in law here, several times. She was feeling anxious, working as a social worker at a prison and was put on Zoloft, then Trazodone when the Zoloft caused her so much aggitation. Within a short time, she lost her job and now sleeps nearly 24 hours a day, doesn't clean, doesn't cook and didn't even get her taxes done last week. She does nothing. She can't leave the house. Her anxiety is much worse and now she lives with severe depression. She, however, can't and won't see that her drugs put her in this position. It's simple cause and effect - something that all of us should learn from and be aware of in our own situations. There's a book called, Your Problem Might Be Your Drug (something like that). I haven't read it, but it sounds like it's work a look.

Good luck!!!

Old 04-19-2006, 01:27 PM   #10
    macadamiaNUT
    Inactive
    (female)

macadamiaNUT HB User

Hey Judi,

I saw what you posted about your meds in your other post...would you say again about your lorazepam dose? I'm not clear about what you said--how much each time in the 3x a day you are taking it. And that makes the total for each day...? Just want to understand before I add another reply.

Old 04-19-2006, 03:03 PM   #11
    beachlady
    Inactive
    (female)

beachlady HB User

I Am Only Taking One 10mg Lexapro In The Morning And Two 1mg Of Lorazapam At Night, For Sleep. If During The Day I Really Get Depressed And Or Anxious I Take One Lorazapam And It Seems To Help With The Anxious Feeling And Kind Of Brings Me Out Of My Fog And Dark Cloud That I Feel Is Surrounding Me.

I Appreciate All Of You Who Have Answered This Post, Your Information Has Been So Informative And It Is Giving Me Ideas On How To Deal With The Doctor When I Go Next Monday.

I Will Tell Her About The Drugs I Am Taking, Because I Agree With All Of You That Very Often It Can Be The Drugs Which Are Causing So Much Of My Trouble.

My Hat Is Off To All Of You Great People. I Wish I Could Wave A Magic Wand And Make All Your Problems Go Away!!

Judi

Closed Thread