It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Depression Message Board

• PAXIL Withdrawal symptoms?

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 10-28-2003, 10:54 PM   #1
    res0w5bu

res0w5bu HB User
    Post PAXIL Withdrawal symptoms?

My wife just took herself off PAXIL CR and is experiencing some very severe headaches(migraines) and some mood swings. My CONCERN is how long will this tend to last. I would appreciate any recent users input on this issue as you can see it has me very concerned if what she did was the right way to go off paxil which obviously I think is not,but she insisted that it be this way so?? whatever. If anyone knows of anything she can take to help this process of withdrawal that would be greatly appreciated also.

Thanks,
    Tim

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 10-28-2003, 11:21 PM   #2
    lori j
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

lori j HB User
    I have not been on paxil, but have heard that the withdrawal can be quite difficult. Try reading thru some of the older posts here, I know I saw quite a bit about Paxil.

Old 10-29-2003, 12:19 AM   #3
    Jennita
    Inactive
    (female)

Jennita HB User
    It can take a few weeks to a few months. Cold turkey is never good since tapering helps lessen withdrawal symptoms.

Old 10-29-2003, 01:29 AM   #4
    res0w5bu

res0w5bu HB User
    Thank for the responses. I am a little concerned after hearing some of the response and the withdraw periods. Is there anything that any of you took as a seditive to the symptoms of these withdrawals that may help us get through this period? Nothing seems to be working.

Tim

Old 12-08-2003, 02:01 PM   #5
    hellokristi

hellokristi HB User
    Re: PAXIL Withdrawal symptoms?

if anyone finds a magic cure for this withdrawal, clue me in. i am about 3-4 weeks into withdrawal and it's actually much worse than it was initially. after i stopped taking paxil, i did not have any withdrawal symptoms for about a week. then the notorious "zaps" started. i still have those pretty intensely as well as vivid dreams at night but i don't notice them so much. my latest withdrawal symptoms are constant vertigo, nausea and facial tics. at least i think this is paxil related. my head feels so heavy i can barely hold it up. my nose twitches a million times a day and now my cheeks and eyebrows are following suit. i have pain in my head and face. felt like sinus pain last week now it feels like brain tumor although im sure that is not the case. i keep blinking a lot and my neck hurts a ton. i go through spells where i uncontrollably want to cry or run out of the room i am in and im so freaked out about feeling suicidal when my emotions are on way high. it's like a very advanced form of panic attack. i can concentrate pretty well but my motor skills are really messed up. it's a very scary place to be in right now. i feel like i am slurring my speech. i wake up every morning wondering if i am going to feel okay or horrendous. the muscle spasming i am having is horrible. i have not felt anything like this before. it is mostly in my face. i think it would be far more manageable in my legs or arms. spasming head and face is not something i am used to. this makes me feel crazy - crazier than before i went on the drug. i honestly think (for me) this was worse than the benzo withdrawal i went through a few months ago. doctors do not tell you about this crap at all when they put you on the medication. it's tempting for me to go back on because i have a good feeling all of these symptoms would disappear. what a mess... either be on paxil and feel like a robot or go through withdrawal and feel somewhat like your "old self" but with intense dizzyness, nausea, nervous tics, ocd and more. live and learn. i have some hope that these symptoms won't go on forever, but that numb sensation in my face and the tics are scary. it's hard to tell if it's really numb/in pain or if my brain just perceives it that way due to the withdrawal. the tics are a fact of life. i can see them. i want to go to a neurologist but the naysayer in me knows that they aren't going to find anything. the scaredycat in me thinks they will find something horrible. i just had a cat scan in late august so it seems like a waste. but my brain is on complete fire right now.

Old 01-27-2004, 08:17 PM   #6
    audreyjudith
    (male)

audreyjudith HB User
    Re: PAXIL Withdrawal symptoms?

I hear ya - I was on Paxil for 1 year and Zoloft for about 2 years. Decided to get off it and BAM! The Brain Zaps and strange sounds, dixxyness were a nightmare. It took about 2 years before i never noticed the zaps again. I weaned off it very slowly and after i was done, if there was a day of lots of zaps, i would take a dose and bed in for the day.

Still to this day, if i have a few drinks, the zaps would hit me. I found out that the manufacturer knew about this and never warned patients about it. Therefore i am part of a very large class action lawsuit regarding Paxil and zoloft.

All i can say is, it can be a very tough time coming off Paxil if you are one of the many that have really bad withdrawl.

Closed Thread