It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Depression Message Board

• Derealization-does it only come with depression and anxiety?

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 10-28-2003, 01:52 AM   #1
    Nuncy

Nuncy HB User
    Post Derealization-does it only come with depression and anxiety?

I was wondering if anyone else is feeling this derealization, a feeling of isolation like everything around you is like in a movie?
    I've read that it's a common symptom of excesive anxiety, but due to my depression I'm very sceptic about everything.

I've been torchuring myself with this information over the internet. Sometimes I wonder did I get myself this symptoms with reading about them, but then I hardly believe that I would be this insecure if I was fine in the first place.
    However, I've read about derealization/depersonalisation disorder and it seems that people with that have it for years if not half of the lifetime. It made me very anxious and scared that it may stay like this forever.
    I'm very sceptic about everything and there are few things that can give me some comfort.
    I believe it's depression or maybe anxiety that stops me from seing some hope or finding relief.
    Does anybody feel or have felt this way?
    Is it anxiety and depression talking or am I feeling this hopeless and sceptic because of something else?
    I'm not on antidepressant medication, besides natural remedies so I don't think it's the medication effect. anyway, I've head this feeling since it all started about five months ago. Besides that I feel fine, except for the exhaustion. This is the only thing I'm really worried about. With other problems I can "make peace", but when I think about this it's making me very anxious.
    Is this excesive doubt and scepticism also a depression talking? Is derealization connected to tiredness? I managed to regulate sleep comparing to terrible insomnia I have had before, but I'm dreaming all the time and feel exhausted.
    Is this derealization here because when we worry and think about something so intesivly we exclude ourselves from the real and outside world?
    Is it too much to function and think soooo much about bad things and sense? Is this why the answer is in relaxing and not thinking? There are so many things on my mind that sometimes I think my head will explode.
    What about derealization disorder? It seems it's not connected to anxiety?

Sorry for the long post but it's so hard to explain what I feel.
    Best wishes,

N.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 10-28-2003, 08:59 AM   #2
    Lectus
    (male)

Lectus HB User
    From what I understand, depersonalization/dissociation/derealisation (if they're the same thing.... I think they're pretty close, anyway) are a defense mechanism that is triggered by excessive pain or anxiety (which aren't very different, nuerologically, according to an article I read a while back.)

From what I hear, depersonalization occurs to everyone at least once in their lifetime. Everyone has episodes of varying length... that does not mean they have depersonalization disorder. I'd suggest talking to your psychologist or psychiatrist about this. He went to school for this kind of thing for eight years and can explain it better than I or anyone else can. Try not to do too much research on the internet... A little learning can do alot of harm and the slightest peice of information can be taken out of context. This is especially true where it applies to people with anxiety, who have trouble keeping things in perspective to begin with.

Old 10-28-2003, 11:08 PM   #3
    zavey

zavey HB User
    depersonalization and derealization are two aspects of dissociation. people normally experience dissociative episodes when they have a history of depression and anxiety. i'm currently on 100mg/day of prozac for major depressive disorder and 4mg/day of xanax for anxiety disorder. i still get the "dissociative episodes." the first time you have one you feel like you're going insane. the depersonalization and derealization aspects of it are normally what i experience. usually for me, my environment looks strange, like everything is out of proportion or is in slow-motion or looks weird, and i feel like i'm not really here, but somewhere else seeing what's going on. also, my senses are normally heightened. like if i'm lying in bed awake at night, my heartbeat, the ceiling fan and the bathroom faucet dripping all seem so LOUD, like that's all i can hear... apart from this strange buzzing sound that normally accompanies these episodes.

Old 10-29-2003, 12:05 AM   #4
    Nuncy

Nuncy HB User
    I don't know anymore what caused this weird feeling, but it occured after an episode of bad insomnia. I went to see psych and she told me these are all depression symptoms.
    She even draw me a cycle: panic attacks, anxiety, insomnia, social disfunction, lack of concentracion...
    I had it all. I just don't know what to believe anymore. I doubt everyone and everything, including myself and that is far the worst part.
    I just hope that it will go away once the depression lifts. I should get a job and start living like I'm supposed to and I just can't imagine now being among people I don't know. It's just too much especially since the lack of motivation.
    The problem here is also that I can't find psych with qualities I think one needs. The one I went to told me on my first meeting that most people want to start with just talking session but that she thinks it's just a delay of agony.
    I don't want to see someone like that again. Someone who will discourage me on our first meeting. I believe a lot of it can be solved with talk therapy, especially with someone flexible.

Thanks again for answering. I wish you all good luck.

Old 10-29-2003, 03:40 AM   #5
    Tin Girl

Tin Girl HB User
    i have had these "disassociative" episodes for as long as i can remember, up until recently when everything went a bit haywire (i had a complete breakdown 3 months ago) they never alarmed me and i quite enjoyed them, i just accepted them as an odd quirk in my behaviour even though they caused me some difficulties in my relationships. my therapist says they are my "defence mechanism" a way of dealing with some traumatic events that happened in my childhood, i have carried them with me into adulthood.

Old 10-29-2003, 04:38 AM   #6
    Nuncy

Nuncy HB User
    How long did these episodes last? Few moments, days or longer? I'm concerned because since my breakdown they are here too often.
    It's not frightening if they will pass, but thinking that this may last forever doesn't give me any comfort.

Thanks for sharing.
    Best wishes,

N.

Old 10-29-2003, 05:37 AM   #7
    Tin Girl

Tin Girl HB User
    hi, my episodes prior to my breakdown would last anything from a few minutes to an hour or so. during them i would feel very calm and dreamy, almost like an out of body experience i guess. they never scared me, i guess since i've had them since i was little, my family just said i was a daydreamer, clumsy etc. i notice they get more frequent and prolonged the deeper depressed i get but as i've never sought medical help for my depression (until 3 months ago when i became suicidal) i never thought of them as a big problem.

i'm still suffering from anxiety (it has lessened though) and insomnia, since i've been on cipramil all my obsessive compulsiveness has almost gone, which is a relief, but i still get the disassociative episodes. i think insomnia and anxiety makes them worse as on days when i'm overtired i have them more frequently. have you tried cognitive behavioural therapy? in general i find therapy is helping me a great deal, and i'm lucky to have an excellent p.doc.

hopefully if you never suffered them before they will end when you return to a normal sleeping pattern. my therapist says that my episodes are my minds way of protecting itself and shutting down for small periods and giving me some much needed peace and rest when i need it.

Old 10-30-2003, 03:37 AM   #8
    Nuncy

Nuncy HB User
    I would go to a good dr if I could find one. But I think that the bad one could only do me harm. I am in a confusing period right now and the wrong therapy would be the worst choice.
    I don't know if you have read a great text that really gave me some comfort when I was in a worst period.
    Here's a link. [url="http://www.clinical-depression.co.uk/learning_path.htm"]http://www.clinical-depression.co.uk/learning_path.htm[/url]
    It's really different from any other aproach that I have raed about depression. And since negative thoughts, insomnia, anxiety and depression are linked in most cases I think you may find it helpful.

Best wishes,
    N.

Old 10-30-2003, 01:46 PM   #9
    smiles of sorrow

smiles of sorrow HB User
    I am having derealization and disassociation for almost two months. I use to have them before, but this time it happened after a long time. Sometimes some extreme depressive episode also triggers that. I was so panicked that started having anxiety attacks. It goes away for a day or two and than comes back. My psychitarist says its good, as your mind is trying to save you from worst. So go with the flow and do some breathing excercises. But it's so weird to live like that.

Closed Thread