It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Depression Message Board

• Was just told Amitriptiline (Elavil) is only for mild depression...confused..

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 04-22-2006, 03:08 PM   #1
    Rianna
    (female)

Rianna HB User
    Was just told Amitriptiline (Elavil) is only for mild depression...confused..

I was thinking of talking to the Psychiatrist about going on Amitriptyline..although it is an older medication..have heard many good things about it. Today, I went and had breakfast with a friend who is on it, but she said that Amitriptyline is only for mild depression and it is usually prescribed to people who have pain (such as Fibromyalgia) as well as mild depression. I have major/chronic depression. Feeling confused as to which med to go on..currently on Remeron..but I feel it is pooping out..very confused as to what to talk to the Psychiatrist about. She has been trying to put me on Effexor..maybe I will just try the Effexor and try to forget all the horror stories I read on it. Confused..so many meds..choices..what to do..what to do. Hate having to deal with side effects. I had none on the Remeron - pretty lucky on that one. Thanks for listening.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 04-22-2006, 03:25 PM   #2
    kindspirit
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

kindspirit HB Userkindspirit HB User
    Re: Was just told Amitriptiline (Elavil) is only for mild depression...confused..

Hi! Funny I just popped on this board to ck about Elavil too! I have an old script here from a yr ago and I am desperate to get out of this slump. I know it helps with sleep, can cause some constipation too. But, I was on paxil for yrs and gained 30 lbs, and w/d was horrific. I am anti meds, but have so much going on right now, possible breast cancer, and just w/d off benzo's and still in w/d from them. I am going to take one tonight and try to give it more time? I'll let you know how it works for me? Believe me, if it helps with how down I am now I will take it! For me to think about another med just shows how bad I am now, so praying it helps.

Old 04-22-2006, 03:46 PM   #3
    debdough
    (female)

debdough HB User
    Re: Was just told Amitriptiline (Elavil) is only for mild depression...confused..

Hello

I have been on all sorts meds in the past. Last Sept I was put on Amitriptiline. Yes it's an old med but apparently they have found it to be very effective in higher doses ie upto 200mg and even higher as on one of yesterdays posts.

I have come along way since last year, yes it does cause constipation sometimes, but if it's doing what other meds didn't whats a few figs between friends!! I have been on Effexor in the past and suffered perfuse sweating. I don't get it with these.

I know a lot of people in deep depressions who also find it quite effective. Hope this helps. Take Care debdough

Old 04-22-2006, 03:52 PM   #4
    Rianna
    (female)

Rianna HB User

Hi Debdough and kind spirit..thanks for the quick reply! Debdough..are you still on the Elavil? How is it working for the depression? Did you have any side effects? Kindspirit, please keep me posted on the Elavil (Amitryptiline). Thanks again.

Old 04-22-2006, 06:08 PM   #5
    MagicSunshine
    Inactive
    (female)

MagicSunshine HB User

Hi,

I just got online and saw your thread. I've been on amiltriptyline (elavil) for over 20 years. I take 200 mg at bedtime. I recently had some depression slip through it so they added lexapro 10mg. In May my psychiatrist is taking me off lexapro since it's just to get me through a rough time. I've had a bad year filled with my dad passing away, major surgery, etc

For me the elavil has been great AD.

Hope it does as well for you if you decide to try it.

Thank You,
    Connie

Old 04-23-2006, 07:30 AM   #6
    Rianna
    (female)

Rianna HB User

Hi Connie - thanks for your reply! I am sorry to hear about your Dad passing away.

Old 04-23-2006, 02:47 PM   #7
    debdough
    (female)

debdough HB User

Hi Rianna

Yes I am still on the Amitriptiline am also on a mood stabliser (lithium). As I said I have been on many many different meds over the last 15yrs. I have moved on quite alot over the last 8mths. My friend who has been my rock, saw me in a very bad way last year. She and my therapist remind me often how much I have improved.

I will tell you though that I had to turn away from alot of people, family included. However, as time has gone on I can see myself that any recovery would have been impossible. 99% of them were into illegal drugs, pot, speed coke etc. I myself tried some of it at times. But, when it wore off I flopped for days sometimes.

I knew somewhere there had to be a way out of this darkness, that had plagued me since childhood.

So, at around the same time as I started Amitriptiline, I also asked for space from everyone.

I have a best friend and a good friend in my counsellor. I am back doing my voluntary work after 2yrs out.

I feel now that I am dealing with the depression and am on the road to recovery. It is really tough alot of the time, but on the whole I'm the best I've ever been.

I don't feel that I want to change meds at all. They have the thumbs up from me.!! Good Luck debdough

Old 04-23-2006, 03:51 PM   #8
    Rianna
    (female)

Rianna HB User

Hi Debdough..I am considering trying the Amitriptyline..the only thing that concerns me is that my friend who is on it..says that her Doctor told her it can cause forgetfulness (cognitive decline), and also she has to take Exlax, because it causes constipation. Have you noticed any forgetfulness on it..or any other side effects? Thanks so much for your response. I will try to hang in there...my next appointment with the Psychiatrist is May 4th, and I felt so down today, that I called the office in tears today asking if I could make my appointment earlier. I called the Pharmacy to see how much Effexor was that the Psychiatrist has been trying to put me on (I am not currently working or have health insurance) and they said it was $75.00. Ouch. I can't afford that.

Old 04-23-2006, 05:33 PM   #9
    MagicSunshine
    Inactive
    (female)

MagicSunshine HB User

I already replied once, but I think it's worth doing again for the little bit of info you're concerned about.

Deb was right on, as far as I'm concerned. amiltriptyline works for years. I've been on it 20 and counting. (I said that in my other post. lol) The lexapro they put me on for just a brief time is the one I'm going off of in may. I love my elavil. lol I know this doesn't mean you will react the same way, but there has been good results with it.

I wanted to tell you about memory loss, even short term. I have never noticed any. I'm going back to work the end of june, and my job is dispacthing for metro P.D. Memory loss would make it impossible. I have to know every code. Dispatch a unit in route to the call. Log everything. I have radio contact and two computers we have for logs and shift placement. Everything has to be written in the report book or there is serious trouble. lol

I hope whatever you decide works for you. I just want you to know happiness again. This thing is eating you up, but I can understand exactly how you feel.

Thanks for mentioning my dad. That means a lot to me.

Healing prayers..........Connie

Old 04-24-2006, 05:46 AM   #10
    Rianna
    (female)

Rianna HB User

Hi Connie - thanks for writing back! That's amazing about being on Elavil for twenty years. I have never heard of a someone being on the same medication for that long - that gives me a lot of hope! You said you are on 200 - that seems like a lot, but then again, I am new to antidepressants (Remeron is the only one I have been on for more than three weeks - before the Remeron I was on SSRI's and I did not get along well with them). Do you have to get your liver and blood monitored? I saw on a post that if anyone is on over 100 mg that they are recommended to get their liver checked. You mentioned going back to work..this is great news! I have often thought working in dispatch..they are hiring here for that as well..taking emergency 911 calls. I would apply for it in a heartbeat, if I didn't have the depression and anxiety going on. I have been told I have a calming voice and demeanor. I have heard it is a highly stressful job..and right now..all I can handle at this time, is something very easy...as I have been having panic/anxiety attacks every time I start a new job and the steep learning curve. I am happy to hear you are going to be working again!

Old 04-24-2006, 06:57 AM   #11
    kindspirit
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

kindspirit HB Userkindspirit HB User

RE: my elavil start. Well only took it the one night, constipated next day. Right now I am opting for none. I worked so hard this past 2 months to wean off the benzo's and for me, taking an anti -d , is scaring me. I know it works for most, but I have had too many trials with side effects. I actually feel less anxiety now that I am off the benzo's! strange but that is a side effect of long term use!! So for me, I want to find out what my body is like without any drug? But, after my biopsy all this work might be in vain? wouldn't that just be the kicker.

Old 04-24-2006, 12:18 PM   #12
    debdough
    (female)

debdough HB User

Hi Rianna

The only thing I can tell you about memory loss is, that due to either the deph of depression or the emotional block that some of us entail, my memory is pretty naff at tmes, but then it always has been, even before these meds were prescribed.

Some of it maybe down to anxiety levels as well.

I keep wondering weather to try this Omega fish oils to see if there is any improvement.

I live in the uk, so I am fortunate to have NHS.

Hope you get sorted soon.

Take Care debdough

ps I keep seeing the letters lol, in some posts,can you tell me what it means. Thanx

Old 04-24-2006, 12:21 PM   #13
    Aurora
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

Aurora HB User

lol - means laugh out loud, or less commonly lots of love.
    Hope that sorts that out for you

Closed Thread