It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Depression Message Board

• Zoloft - Amitriptyline combination

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 04-23-2006, 04:49 AM   #1
    musicarvind
    (male)

musicarvind HB User
    Zoloft - Amitriptyline combination

I posted this on the Anxiety forum. I think its more appropriate here. Sorry mods for the wrong placing earlier.

Hi everyone. glad to find this board and read some of the postings. lots of help here so thought id post a question i have. i have been on citalopram 30mg a day for the last 2-3 years now. 20mg about 4 years before that. went to meet a new doctor today as have not been following up with any doc for a while. met him and he seems to think that zoloft is a better drug as compared to citalopram(celexa,Cipram here in Asia).

Fine, i'll try it. he reckons 50mg in morning followed by 25mg in the evening of zoloft. what got me thinking is that he also prescribed amitriptyline 10mg bedtime. he mentioned that the usual dosage for Amitriptyline is 150mg to 200mg and this would help me get a better sleep at night without the bad effects of taking drugs like clorazepate dipotasium. I did some research on the net and found Amitriptyline to be a tricyclic anti-depressant. Definately should not be combined with something like Zoloft. but its in a very very small dose. he seems to be very experienced in dealing with patients experiencing panic disorders/anxiety.

i dont know, is there anyone else on this combination? seems weird but i am sure he knows what he is prescribing. right now i am lightly anxious just with the "information overload!" for the past 4 hours. will not take Amitriptyline until i get some answers here and stick to the new zoloft. i doubt it would have much side effects on me cause been on citalopram for years now.

also while at it, i completely moved from citalopram yesterday for years to zoloft today. is such a move ok? according to the doc, its fine.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 04-23-2006, 08:32 PM   #2
    MagicSunshine
    Inactive
    (female)

MagicSunshine HB User
    Re: Zoloft - Amitriptyline combination

Hi, I'm not sure if that was a safe move. Maybe it was a little to soon. That's in my oponion. There is one thing I have learned to ask my family dr. and my psychiatrist. In a polite way I ask them if they will be available to me if this doesn't work and I get uneasy, day or night. It actually worked. If they aren't there and another dr. is taking their calls, they are provided with my chart.

I have been on amiltriptyline for 20 years. I take 200 mgs at bedtime. It's been a great drug for me. In Feb of this year my dr. added 10mg of lexapro to get me over a rough spot. It worked and I go off the lexapro next month.

I hope things go well for you. Keep posting so we know how you're doing. Take Care.....Connie

Old 04-23-2006, 09:40 PM   #3
    macadamiaNUT
    Inactive
    (female)

macadamiaNUT HB User

Hi there,

I'm not sure about the straight over switch either. Most often I've seen people taper down and then on to the other med, tapering up. I think (non-medical opinion here) that 50 + 25 mg. of Zoloft, to start off with is a bit abrupt, but I could be wrong.

Anyway, your question about amitrip--there's nothing wrong with Zoloft plus amitryp for sleep. A lot of people take a tricyclic for sleep, on top of their SSRI or SNRI antidepressant. That part will be fine. Personally, I would only take 50 mg. of the Z to start with and whatever was rx'd for the ami.

Let us know how it goes, okay?

Old 04-24-2006, 12:00 AM   #4
    musicarvind
    (male)

musicarvind HB User

hi macademia and sunshine(nice nick names, good things in life)

well my shift yesterday to zoloft from citalopram has not had much effects as yet. perhaps his idea of me having 30mg citalopram might be suited by zoloft's 75mg. he intends to drop my zoloft intake to 50 next month when i meet him.

still waiting to see if there is much effects from the change. but i think i can go through it unless its really bad. well i asked him on whether i should tamper down the citalopram before i get on zoloft, he said no, just cut off and replace with zoloft, says its same class of drugs and should not have much effects. i dunno guys. little skeptical about him. i'll kick his *** if anything goes wrong. thats for sure. was more worried about taking the amitriptyline to be honest. i guess in that does, it should be ok.

has anyone ever been on clorazepate dipotassium? according to the doc, the drug seems to have an effect on the liver function in the long term. anyone heard of this?

magicsunshine, 20 years of drugs? well as long as it helps and its not too expensive. i am paying so much for the citalopram and now the zoloft. wish they had generics. i hope the lexapro helps you more in getting back on track.

whatever it is, i pity people who dont know they are depressed or anxious and go through life in so much misery without the needed medications.

Old 04-24-2006, 12:28 AM   #5
    macadamiaNUT
    Inactive
    (female)

macadamiaNUT HB User

clorazepate dipotassium is a benzodiazepine, and one source (which never says anything very strongly) said (quite strongly) that in depressed patients it can give tendencies to want to commit "such and such." As far as liver goes, "have blood counts and liver function tests periodically" or so I've read.

50 mg. of Zoloft? That's about the same as 20 of Celexa. Like enough if you have a hangnail and a bad hair day together for a week. It's an initial dose. But, like all meds, they do affect individuals individually....I guess see how it goes at whichever dose. The Zoloft patent runs out this year, so it will be available in generic soon after. (oh......YAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAY!!!)

Old 04-24-2006, 05:29 AM   #6
    musicarvind
    (male)

musicarvind HB User

ok second day into it, had 50mg of zoloft this morning and had another 25mg just now. no significant difference in switching from citalopram to zoloft as a next day shift.

they should start making preview generic drugs of zoloft ! i don't mind being the guinea pig .. he he i might have my liver function done this week. my last test on the liver did not turn out that good. mild hepatitis condition. SGPT of 69 u/l. normal range is 5-35 u/l. any liver experts here?

Closed Thread