It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Depression Message Board

• Need Advise On Effexor Xr And Lexapro

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 04-24-2006, 03:45 PM   #1
    beachlady
    Inactive
    (female)

beachlady HB User
    Question Need Advise On Effexor Xr And Lexapro

Hello everyone,

I just came from seeing a new psychiarist today and she described my symptoms as Depression and GAD. Well, I knew that, but now it has been officially diagnoised. I told her I have been taking 1 10MG Lexapro a day about two years and Lorazapam as needed and to help me sleep at night.

She told me that in her opinion, having both depression and GAD that Effexor works better because it works on both.

This is the shedule she has given to me for now -
    Week 1 37.5 MG Effexor AM
    1 10MG Lexapro PM

Week 2 75MG Effexor AM
    1 10MG Lexapro PM

Week 3 & 4
    2 75MG Effexor AM
    1 10MG Lexapro PM
    I am to take the Lorazapam as needed.

After this, I have an appointment to see her again. She said she did not want me to stop the Lexapro abruptly, do you think this is her way of getting my system to the Effexor and then she will discontinue the Lexapro?

Please anyone tell me of your side effects with Effexor. I have read some of the posts, and this drug scares me.

I took my first one this morning and I have had an upset stomach and have not felt great, and now it will be soon to take the Lexapro. I am scared what the two will do to me and my body. Weight gain, here we come................

Any suggestions and or success stories or cautions would be very much appreciated.

Beachlady

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 04-24-2006, 04:47 PM   #2
    gimp66
    (male)

gimp66 HB User
    Re: Need Advise On Effexor Xr And Lexapro

hi beachlady
    i have suffered from depression and post traumatic stress disorder for about 9 years now after a motorbike accident and i have been on most anti-depressants in that time including effexor, they did leave me feeling sick in the morning which lasted for about a week but you will get over that. they did not work for me as with most of them but i am now on sertraline which do seem to be helping me. i am from northern ireland so i do not know if we get the same medications or if they are all named the same. i have never heard of lexapro, but that does not mean we do not have it over here. another good one i had was called zispin which worked for a long time for me. it is bad to suddenly stop anti-depressants and i would guess your doc is letting you build up your tolerance to effexor (yes i had to build up my tolerance to them but i cannot remember if my other tablets where stopped at the time or if they carried on like yours, sorry) but keeping your anti-depressant levels up until you can take the full amount of effexor. if you feel they do not help you ask your doc for another change, there is plenty of anti-depressant on the market and i went through about 10 or more before i found 1 that really helps me and sertraline does help me! i went through a very bad spell before xmas and my doc was going to change them but i knew it was my problem and i would get over it, which i did. keep trying to find the right medicine and you will know when you have found it. i hope this is a little help to you and i hope your anti-depressants work this time for you. good luck.

Old 04-24-2006, 05:27 PM   #3
    SOE
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

SOE HB UserSOE HB UserSOE HB UserSOE HB UserSOE HB UserSOE HB UserSOE HB User

I can only tell you bad things about Effexor... I had terrible side effects which all worsened with time, instead of getting better. It took me 10 months to taper off of it because some people do go through terrible withdrawals -- and I was one of them.

It was the last AD I took, and had a large part in my decision to quit taking ADs all together -- because of all the side effects and how difficult it can be to stop taking them.

So my caution to you would be to pay close attention to how you feel while you are on it, and if you are not happy with it, stand your ground and ask for something else.

Last edited by SOE; 04-24-2006 at 05:35 PM.

Old 04-24-2006, 06:26 PM   #4
    beachlady
    Inactive
    (female)

beachlady HB User

Quote:
    Originally Posted by gimp66
    hi beachlady
    i have suffered from depression and post traumatic stress disorder for about 9 years now after a motorbike accident and i have been on most anti-depressants in that time including effexor, they did leave me feeling sick in the morning which lasted for about a week but you will get over that. they did not work for me as with most of them but i am now on sertraline which do seem to be helping me. i am from northern ireland so i do not know if we get the same medications or if they are all named the same. i have never heard of lexapro, but that does not mean we do not have it over here. another good one i had was called zispin which worked for a long time for me. it is bad to suddenly stop anti-depressants and i would guess your doc is letting you build up your tolerance to effexor (yes i had to build up my tolerance to them but i cannot remember if my other tablets where stopped at the time or if they carried on like yours, sorry) but keeping your anti-depressant levels up until you can take the full amount of effexor. if you feel they do not help you ask your doc for another change, there is plenty of anti-depressant on the market and i went through about 10 or more before i found 1 that really helps me and sertraline does help me! i went through a very bad spell before xmas and my doc was going to change them but i knew it was my problem and i would get over it, which i did. keep trying to find the right medicine and you will know when you have found it. i hope this is a little help to you and i hope your anti-depressants work this time for you. good luck.

Old 04-24-2006, 06:31 PM   #5
    beachlady
    Inactive
    (female)

beachlady HB User

Thanks so much to both of you for reading my post and responding.

I know everyone has different experiences with these drugs, and I am quite worried about Effexor.

I guess our only hope is to try what is prescribed for us, if it does not feel right, consult your doctor and listen to your own body. We are very wise and can usually tell if something is working for us, or hurting us.

God Bless,

beachland
    Florida

Old 04-24-2006, 06:32 PM   #6
    beachlady
    Inactive
    (female)

beachlady HB User

I know everyone has different experiences with these drugs, and I am quite worried about Effexor.

I guess our only hope is to try what is prescribed for us, if it does not feel right, consult your doctor and listen to your own body. We are very wise and can usually tell if something is working for us, or hurting us.

God Bless,

beachlady
    Florida

Old 04-24-2006, 07:34 PM   #7
    MagicSunshine
    Inactive
    (female)

MagicSunshine HB User

Hi Judi,

I have never been on effexor, but I'm taking lexapro for a while now. In May my psychiatrist is going to wean me off the lexapro and leave me on the amiltriptyline, which has worked for 20 years.

I have a rough time when my dad died, and then found out I had cancer. I have an appt. with my sugreon in Indy coming up.

The lexapro didn't give me any trouble, other than being a little sleepy the first week. I'll feel comfortable when I'm only on the amiltriptyline.

I'm sorry I couldn't be of more help. I have been worried about you and glad to see you got a dx. Good Luck and I will be thinking of you. TC.....Connie

Old 04-24-2006, 09:16 PM   #8
    eve2
    (female)

eve2 HB User

I have heard good and bad about Effexor. I took it years ago, it gave me relief from obcessive worry and made me clean house more, but I had some lack of feeling too...of course it didn't bother me ..nothing did, but I was aware of it. Now I am trying it again, but I'm not getting much result. Now i am post-menopausal, wonder if that has an effect? iT Seems that Zoloft is helping some...Anybody know if the two work together? Would like to hear any thoughts on these matters. Thanks. eve2

Old 04-24-2006, 09:45 PM   #9
    Spin444
    Inactive
    (female)

Spin444 HB User

Hi Eve, I've always read that taking two serotonergic drugs at the same time can be dangerous. It's not recommended. Serotonin syndrome can result. Zoloft is an SSRI. Effexor is an SNRI, but both affect available serotonin. Doctor shouldn't be prescribing drug combos that they don't know enough about. I hope that you'll be alright and find some help. I'm often curious why, if antidepressants are effective, like some say - why the need for more?

Old 04-24-2006, 11:04 PM   #10
    macadamiaNUT
    Inactive
    (female)

macadamiaNUT HB User

Hey J,

That looks like a reasonable taper. I would add that if things change in the 3rd or 4th week, call your doc.

I know a number of women who have gotten tremendous help from Effexor. And some that had some side effects, going on, coming off, but got great benefit from it. Like I think you said, all you can do is try it and work with your doc on what works and what is less helpful.

Connie, you're going to be tapered off the Lexapro in May? Didn't you just start in March? I suppose it may be worth a try. I don't know if this would apply, given you are on the ami dose, but the general recommendation is a minimum of 6 months on an a/d, and longer if there is any added stress.

Old 04-25-2006, 12:49 AM   #11
    MagicSunshine
    Inactive
    (female)

MagicSunshine HB User

macNut,

I saw my psychiatrist and he wants to cut me back in may, but he's good about listening to me. I'm sure if I asked him, I could stay on it longer. I like the way it helped me. I do want to go back to just the 200 mgs of amiltriptyline when it's time.

Hey, if you post much more you're going to get that advancement in no time. Does that mean you're the boss of me?? LOL That's what my kids used to tell each other when they were little. They're only a year apart. Boy, were the teenage years hard on me.

Like I said before, we'll have a party for you when you're promoted. I already have the decorations and ice cream and cake. Thought we could play pin the tail on the donkey, but I'm NOT going to be the donkey this time. LOL

Have a great night and I hope you see this post..Take Care...Connie

Old 04-25-2006, 04:05 AM   #12
    nrf45
    (female)

nrf45 HB User

I took Effexor and then Effexor XR for a couple of years. It was the hardest medicine to get off of.
    I now take Cymbalta and am very happy with the results. Best to take these in the morning, at the same time, if you feel sick sandwich the dose in a meal. It will be much easier on the stomach. Read up on interactions, such as antacids, they can affect the how the cap is broken down. Best of luck to you.

Old 04-25-2006, 07:50 AM   #13
    beachlady
    Inactive
    (female)

beachlady HB User

Quote:
    Originally Posted by MagicSunshine
    Hi Judi,

I have never been on effexor, but I'm taking lexapro for a while now. In May my psychiatrist is going to wean me off the lexapro and leave me on the amiltriptyline, which has worked for 20 years.

I have a rough time when my dad died, and then found out I had cancer. I have an appt. with my sugreon in Indy coming up.

The lexapro didn't give me any trouble, other than being a little sleepy the first week. I'll feel comfortable when I'm only on the amiltriptyline.

I'm sorry I couldn't be of more help. I have been worried about you and glad to see you got a dx. Good Luck and I will be thinking of you. TC.....Connie
    Connie, just knowing you took the time to read my post and answer it, makes me feel better and a little more hopeful.

I wish you the best, you have your hands full. God Bless,
    Judi

Old 05-09-2006, 12:29 AM   #14
    GHGore
    (male)

GHGore HB User

Quote:
    Originally Posted by beachlady

God Bless,

beachland
    Florida
    I never really understood. Did the Lexapro just stop helping you with your symptoms or did the new medical caretaker just want to switch things up on you?

Today when I visited my general practitioner, who knows of my GAD, as well as my visit for today concerning my bad depression lately, I mentioned Effexor XR as a possible treatment I've been researching as well as Lexapro (those seemed to be my top 2 of choice) and he said, "We're going to go with Lexapro for you". I left it at that pretty much.

Closed Thread