It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Depression Message Board

• Lexapro--2 Things--Has Anyone Not Gained Weight & Has Anyone Had to Up The Dose?

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 05-10-2006, 06:19 PM   #16
    MagicSunshine
    Inactive
    (female)

MagicSunshine HB User
    Re: Lexapro--2 Things--Has Anyone Not Gained Weight & Has Anyone Had to Up The Dose?

Salty--I saw a lot of me in your post. I have been on amiltriptyline for years and always took it deligently, but I've been on it for 20 years. In Feb. my psychiatrit wanted to add lexapro. I got it filled on Feb. 1st, but didn't get the nerve to take it until Fe. 21 and that was only 5mg when I was supposed to take the whole 10mg. My psych talked to me about all the side effects. Some that weren't even listed, but from experience he had seen them in other patients.

I was afraid to tell anyone I wasn't taking all I was supposed to take, but after reading some of the horror stories I read on here that some posted, I was sure I was going to become more depressed, have a stroke, become suicidal (which I have never been in my life) or gain a ton of weight, even though my weight has never been an issue. I made another
    appt. and told my dr. the truth. I read all the things posters said could happen to anyone who takes AD's.

He was very understanding. A lot of people don't take their meds because of the things they have been told. For a person to be that obsessed about everyone else's business is an illness on it's own. So I started the lexapro on the 21st of Feb. and started to feel better the first week. Since my depression is chemical, he knew it wouldn't take care of situation, or enviroment conditions, but he thought I would get a little better from all that I had been through in the last two years. He was correct.

Salty, please listen to your Dr. and avoided horror stories. You deserve the est.

(macNut, get the coffee going and I'm up to refills, too. Would you believe I don't drink coffee?? I always wanted to but I can't get used to the taste. Any chance for diet caffeine coke or pepsi?? LOL

Salty, i know you're having a hard time making this decision. Good Luck and things will be OK..........Connie

Last edited by MagicSunshine; 05-10-2006 at 08:42 PM.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 05-10-2006, 08:54 PM   #17
    macadamiaNUT
    Inactive
    (female)

macadamiaNUT HB User
    Re: Lexapro--2 Things--Has Anyone Not Gained Weight & Has Anyone Had to Up The Dose?

Try out the ignor feature--click on (my) screen name, then profile, then add to ignor list.

Old 05-10-2006, 10:44 PM   #18
    MagicSunshine
    Inactive
    (female)

MagicSunshine HB User

Thanks macNut. Is the coffee ready?? I might not make that many posts before surgery. My arm hurts like heck when I type much at all.

I'm going out tomorrow for lunch and to get my hair done. I'm feeling good most of the time. I'm a little bummed out about the surgery, but I think that's normal....TC girl,.........Connoe

Old 05-11-2006, 03:01 PM   #19
    CTCheryl
    (female)

CTCheryl HB User

My husband has been on Lexapro for almost a year. He has not gained any weight. He started out on 10mg and the doc doubled the dosage. He has been improving. He still has occasional bad days, but not nearly as bad as in the beginning.

Old 05-11-2006, 05:49 PM   #20
    MagicSunshine
    Inactive
    (female)

MagicSunshine HB User

Hi,

Thanks for you reply. I have felt better on lexapro and I'm not afraid of it anymore. It doesn't make me feel all zoned out. I can think clearly. Weight hasn't been an issue but you never know. There's no promise that it won't be someday.

I wish there was some way I could put into words how much better your reply made me feel. This isn't even my threat, but I sure gained a lot from it.

Have a good night and I hope your husband continues to get better...Connie

Old 05-13-2006, 02:30 PM   #21
    salty
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

salty HB Usersalty HB User

Hi, everyone. I didn't get to the dr. on Friday. I also have migraine headaches and am being treated by the same dr. with Topamax as a preventative.

Anyhow, I have no clue if I got the migraine because of nerves or just because, but I woke up Friday and could barely move my head hurt so bad. I have no more migraine samples (that's another reason I was going there) so I basically had to wait it out. I also am running low on Topamax and I hope my dr. has samples of that! I rescheduled for Monday.

I will post when I get back on Monday.

I am almost out of Lexapro. I was hoping to get some more samples from my dr. before I have to go on Celexa generic. I really want to stay with Lexapro.

My prescription coverage is almost completely maxed out and I pay close to $300 per month.

Salty

Old 05-13-2006, 02:48 PM   #22
    MagicSunshine
    Inactive
    (female)

MagicSunshine HB User

hI salty,

I'm so sorry you were having a migraine headache. I have never had one but I know people who have, and from what they told me, I never want to have one. I understand they are extremely painful.

I know you're worried about your meds, and how you're going to get them. I wish that was more I could do to help.

Try to relax today and tomorrow because monday will be a busy day for you.

Healing Hugs......Connie

Old 05-13-2006, 02:58 PM   #23
    salty
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

Thank you, Connie. Your kind words mean a lot.

I always pray that the visit to the doctor goes well. My well-being always depends so much on it.

Salty

Old 05-15-2006, 04:16 PM   #24
    salty
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

Hi, everyone. My dr. increased the Lexapro to 20 mg. per day. I hope this pulls me out of the depression.

I was grateful that he had some samples for me.

Salty

Old 10-23-2006, 05:03 PM   #25
    timwendi
    (female)

timwendi HB User

Lexapro does have a generic it is escitalopram.

Closed Thread