It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Depression Message Board

• Lexapro--2 Things--Has Anyone Not Gained Weight & Has Anyone Had to Up The Dose?

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 05-08-2006, 03:38 PM   #1
    salty
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

salty HB Usersalty HB User
    Lexapro--2 Things--Has Anyone Not Gained Weight & Has Anyone Had to Up The Dose?

Hi. Has anyone out there NOT gained weight when on Lexapro?

And

Has anyone had to increase the dosage to help with depression?

Usually 10 mg. is enough for me, but I guess the latest traumas in my life have been too big for the med. and I am slipping back into a depression.

I have a dr's appt. on Friday, but I always want to hear from you all first.

Has anyone upped to 20 mg. for example with good results? I mention the weight gain as well because I'm a little concerned that with a higher dose, the weight gain will be increased also.

Any input is appreciated. Thanks you so much.

Salty

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 05-08-2006, 04:28 PM   #2
    MagicSunshine
    Inactive
    (female)

MagicSunshine HB User
    Re: Lexapro--2 Things--Has Anyone Not Gained Weight & Has Anyone Had to Up The Dose?

Hi salty,

I have been on lexapro (10mg) about four months and I'm fine on this dosage because I take amiltriptyline with it. I haven't gained any weight, in fact, I have lost some. I don't know if this is because of the lexapro or because I have never had a weight issue, but I do notice I'm not hungry as often and sometimes have to make myself eat.

As for raising the dose, I have read posts where people have gone to 15 or 20 mg's. I think lexapro is good because it works on both depression and anxiety.

Good Luck, and I hope this works for you.....Connie

Old 05-08-2006, 10:09 PM   #3
    salty
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

Re: Lexapro--2 Things--Has Anyone Not Gained Weight & Has Anyone Had to Up The Dose?

Connie, you have no idea how much I appreciate your post. Can you tell me why you are on the amiltripyline? Is that Elavil?

I have difficulty sleeping so if so I bet it could help me with that. Do you think it helps with depression as well, I mean do the 2 together make a good depression combo?

Salty

Quote:
    Originally Posted by MagicSunshine
    Hi salty,

I have been on lexapro (10mg) about four months and I'm fine on this dosage because I take amiltriptyline with it. I haven't gained any weight, in fact, I have lost some. I don't know if this is because of the lexapro or because I have never had a weight issue, but I do notice I'm not hungry as often and sometimes have to make myself eat.

As for raising the dose, I have read posts where people have gone to 15 or 20 mg's. I think lexapro is good because it works on both depression and anxiety.

Good Luck, and I hope this works for you.....Connie

Old 05-08-2006, 10:15 PM   #4
    Spin444
    Inactive
    (female)

Spin444 HB User

"...I am slipping back into a depression." Did you know that Lexapro can cause a worsening of depression? That could be what's happening to you. Too bad that there's no way of really knowing because if it is the drug and your doctor ups your dose, the depression could just get worse yet. So often, people get worse on drugs and their doctors convince them that it means that they need even more of the drug or they add yet another drug to the mix. Your drug could be your problem.

The Following User Says Thank You to Spin444 For This Useful Post:
    Augustusine (04-02-2012)
    Old 05-08-2006, 10:24 PM   #5
    salty
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

No, Spin444, I didn't know that about Lexapro.

How the heck am I going to know? Lexapro has been the ONLY one in the past that has brought me almost immediate relief?

I am positive that my body reacts very well to a med that acts directly to a deficiency in SERATONIN. I have just seen it happen time and time again with me.

Any ideas other than Lexapro?

Salty

Old 05-08-2006, 10:57 PM   #6
    Spin444
    Inactive
    (female)

Spin444 HB User

I'm sorry, I don't have any other suggestions when it comes to drugs. Weight gain is the most common side effect of SSRIs. Sexual dsyfunction is another. They, like all antidepressants, can have paradoxical side effects. Also side effects aren't constants - they can occur at any time. You might find relief at some point, maybe early on and then, like you've found, experience more depression later on. It really would be nice if these things were easier to figure out - what's caused by the drug and what's not. It's good that you're examining the situation and proceeding with caution. I hope that you get it figured out.

About Lexapro:
    <Adults with Major Depressive Disorder may experience worsening of their depression and/or the emergence of suicidal ideation and behavior (suicidality). Patients being treated with antidepressants should be observed closely for clinical worsening and suicidality, especially at the beginning of a course of drug therapy, or at the time of dose changes, either increases or decreases.>

Old 05-08-2006, 11:02 PM   #7
    salty
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

Spin444, Unfortunately I know about those 2 side effects. I have experienced both of them!

I really don't know where to turn at this point. Maybe my dr. will have another suggestion, but usually my suggestions end up being better, believe it or not.

I know I could have so many other things wrong with me, and I really shouldn't complain, but I really wish somehow I could lick this depression for good.

Thank you for writing.

Salty

Old 05-08-2006, 11:09 PM   #8
    MagicSunshine
    Inactive
    (female)

MagicSunshine HB User

Hi salty

I got some benefit from the lexapro the first or second week. I know some people take 20 mg. It most certainly didn't make my depression worse. It made it a lot better.

When I was dx'd with anxiety and depression (at 19) my Dr. put me on amiltriptyline (elavil). It helped the depression and it has a sedative in it so most people take it at bedtime for sleep. I have been on it for 20 years. I had two terrible years so my psychiatrists added the lexapro. There has been no weight gain at all.

I hope you find something that works for you soon. It sounds like you have ha some bad times like me.

Take care and let me know how you're doing.....Connie

Old 05-09-2006, 04:35 PM   #9
    Reba46
    Inactive
    (female)

Reba46 HB User

Hi Salty,
    I have been on Lexapro for 2.5 yrs. I had to increase it after one yr to 20 mg. I have alot of medical problems going on right now and I kinda felt myself falling into that depression again. I really loved my Lexapro, it kept me at one level all the time, nothing would bother me. LOL especailly ppl that try and make me mad. Didn't work. LOL
    Now I have been switched to Cymbalta, the first wk I cried for my Lexapro. This second week has been better. I would stick with the Lexapro if it is doing you good.
    Good Luck,
    Becky

Old 05-09-2006, 08:40 PM   #10
    salty
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

I appreciate ALL of you writing so much.

Reba46, I want to stay on Lexapro, but my prescription coverage in almost maxed out and the new season doesn't start until October so my dr. has suggested I try Celexa (the cousin of Lexapro) because it has a generic and I can pay out of the pocket.

My dr. probably won't be able to keep supplying me with Lexapro samples until October. I sure do hope I will do okay with the Celexa generic.

I'm slipping back into the depression on 10 mg. of Lexapro and that's unusual. Usually Lexapro works for me no matter what.

I read that maybe by upping the dosage it will only make the depression worse and that's really scaring me. I will have to see what my dr. says on Friday.

Thank all of you for writing!

Salty

Old 05-09-2006, 09:01 PM   #11
    MagicSunshine
    Inactive
    (female)

MagicSunshine HB User

salty,

If you want to put your mind at ease I found a great way. When somone on here says something that makes me wonder, I call my psychiatrist first and ask him if lexapro was by any chance going to make my depression worse. Then I called the professor of psycology at Notre Dame. (only about 30 miles from me). You would be amazed how many of the staff and others will be happy to answer any questions. My mind is at ease now.
    Just thought I would send this...Connie

Old 05-09-2006, 09:03 PM   #12
    salty
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

Great idea, Connie! Thank you.

Salty

Old 05-10-2006, 11:11 AM   #13
    Spin444
    Inactive
    (female)

Spin444 HB User

Just makes one wonder about the so-called "professionals" when they don't even know the common side effects of the drugs they prescribe or are supposed to know all about. Depression, anxiety and a a host of other psychological related problems ARE listed side effects of all antidepressants. For anyone to be able predict or assure anyone that a drug won't make them worse, is pure speculation, an uneducated guess, wishful thinking, whatever you chose to call it.

Old 05-10-2006, 01:07 PM   #14
    macadamiaNUT
    Inactive
    (female)

macadamiaNUT HB User

Quote:
    Originally Posted by salty
    I read that maybe by upping the dosage it will only make the depression worse and that's really scaring me. I will have to see what my dr. says on Friday.

Salty
    I wonder if that is referring to how an increase can make all the initial side effects of going on a med come back, briefly (a week, tops)? I've been up and down the dose range on Zoloft and don't find more makes me feel worse at all. Quite the contrary.

Celexa/citalopram should be similarly effective to Lexapro--it's a mirror image medication (what ever the heck that means), or a sister medication (what ever the heck that means) to Lexapro. They should be quite similar....but cheaper!

(Hey Connie, we'll be having that free coffee refills party for you pretty darn soon, huh? 474 down, 26 to go!)

Let us know how it goes on Friday, Salty.

Old 05-10-2006, 05:22 PM   #15
    salty
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

Thank you, mNut, for your post. I will let you all know what happens Friday.

I'm so "glued" to Lexapro, I know I have to let it go and move on to Citalopram...I just hope it is it's mirror image and I also hope that raising the dose will help (if that's what my dr. says to do).

You know, I might as well throw everything out on the table, maybe I have something to do with my depression coming back...what does everyone think about the following?

I have always gained weight on Lexapro so this past time when I went back on it I was determined to see if I could prevent this somehow...so...I split the 10 mg. pill in 1/2 and started taking 1/2 in the morning and 1/2 in the afternoon.

I put on very little weight and until the traumas happened in my life, I was stable and felt pretty good.

Well, maybe because I did that (after the traumas) I really needed 10 mg. at one time. I don't know, all I do know is for the past 2 days I have been taking the whole pill in the morning and I do notice a slight difference for the better.

Salty

The Following User Says Thank You to salty For This Useful Post:
    Augustusine (04-02-2012)
    Closed Thread