It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Depression Message Board

• Need Advice! on 3 meds, spacy and confused: Meds or sleep deprivation??

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 05-21-2006, 10:15 PM   #1
    Spacy Lacy
    (female)

Spacy Lacy HB User
    Need Advice! on 3 meds, spacy and confused: Meds or sleep deprivation??

Doesn't it sound a little crazy to be on three meds. I know they all work differently but I'm confused alot, hince spacy lacy, and I'm not sure if it's sleep and stress depravation or if I need to decrease a med. Sometimes I say words backwords or switch the sylablls around. or I say things I don't remember saying or I switch numbers around. I'm also sleep deprived as i was working at a hosptial as a secretary getting yelled at alot going to school full time and I have a one year old baby! I am on prozac 40mg, klonopin 1mg 2x's a day, and a generic sr form of welbutrin SR instead of XL cause the XL gave me serious aggitation the generic wellbutrin SR only last eight hours and I don't seem to go through withdrawl when I don't take it but I can tell when I don't take it as I have no excitment for life, ie. depression???. My two major problems in life are anxiety and PMDD.

After several attemps at the different kinds and types of birth control pill I decided to go on the depo provera shot because it has no estrogen and it will keep me from ovulating therefore no PMDD and no mood swings as a side effect of the estrogen in the pill (dumb drugs! hate birth control!) I'm a year postpartum so I've been messed up for a year on my cycles especially starting and stoping different b/c's.

First off all I started on prozac 40mg for PMDD and Xanax. (I switched from effexor xL once I discovered that I had PMDD and the effexor made it worse durring the two weeks of the month) I was scared to death to run out of xanax because it worked so well, but I was taking it to keep my sanity, I switched careers after seven years at the same company, am a year postpartum and gong to pre-nursing school and working part to full time getting yelled at alot in my new job at a hosptial (found out sitting in a cube isn't the same as working with the public or medical feild which I found out people are soooo high strung in the med feild!)

My problem is when I just recently asked my doc to add the wellbutrin I was hoping that with the depo provera shot controlling my pmdd I could get off prozac and klonopin and just take one drug instead of two. a side effect of the depo is depression because there is no estrogen in it. I took the depo five years ago for two years and it did make me depressed so since I know the wellbutrin works great for that giving me a drive for life I thought I would switch to wellbutrin and wouldn't need prozac for PMDD anymore but wellbutrin as side effect for the B/C.

I love the drive for life the generic wellbutrin SR gives me I take 100mg 2x's a day, I'm not drowsy anymore and I love life again! I feel like a teenager. and I feel less overwhelmed by life, plus It has been a great appitite supressant for me! in combination with prozac

HOWEVER, I'm on all three because one day I tried to cut back on the prozac and felt like I was going through withdrawl so I decided not to cut back on prozac. I was going to cut back to 20mg prozac. My doc said they are all different classes of drugs and work differently so it's not like i'm getting an overdose.

I'm just wondering should I keep taking the wellbutrin SR and cut back on klonopin to maybe .5 twice a day and maybe cut back prozac to 20mg a day and then I won't be so spaced out and say things I don't know I said or say the wrong word in the wrong sentence, or try and find the right word for the sentence for five to ten seconds.

Do I need the prozac any more if the depo shot takes care of the depression should I drop the prozac all together?? should I change the klonopin back to xanax? and just try and be on wellbutrin SR even thought at first it made me aggitated, or should I keep the wellbutrin SR and the klonopin or wellbutrin and xanax? I don't want to switch to a different SSRI then Prozac it's the only one that doesn't make me want to eat or take away my sex drive. Could I just be sleep deprived? and my long term hormones for stress depleted? I just finished a semester of school and three months of secretary training at a hospital and now I'm training as a CNA tech to do both CNA and secretary duties and I'm moving to 3rd shift to free up my days for nursing classes and evenings for the baby and husband. and sleep is in there somewhere??? I took a 5 hour nap this afternoon. I was surprised I slept that long.

Last edited by Spacy Lacy; 05-21-2006 at 10:47 PM. Reason: hit wrong button not done with post

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 05-23-2006, 12:52 AM   #2
    Jennita
    Inactive
    (female)

Jennita HB User
    Re: Need Advice! on 3 meds, spacy and confused: Meds or sleep deprivation??

you need to slow down and take some time for sleep. The wellbutrin and prozac you are on can also make you manic so be careful. why not try to slowly, I mean slowly, get off the meds, one at a time and try it ala natural.

Old 05-23-2006, 02:10 AM   #3
    flinch
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

flinch HB User

You need to write down exactly what you're taking each drug for, seems like you're taking a lot to do the same thing. Once you've got them written down you can see what one's you can cut back on and what ones you should stay on a bit longer. Then when your system gets a bit clearer you can start cutting down so you're on only the drugs you need, if any. Cutting back will give you withdrawal but it just means you have to take is slowly and let your body adjust.

Old 05-23-2006, 10:52 AM   #4
    pinkeetoz
    (female)

pinkeetoz HB User

Welbutrin and prozac are both stimulating meds. For me, the prozac did make me a little anxious. I find that Lexapro has a calming effect and I don't need an anxiety med as often, pinkeetoz

Old 05-24-2006, 11:27 AM   #5
    Spacy Lacy
    (female)

Spacy Lacy HB User

well was taking the prozac for PMDD but now I have no PMDD supposivly because on the depo shot I won't have a period no ovulation equals no period. the wellbutrin, boy I love it once I got used to it, at first it made me manic, but focused, then I went to the SR kind and only take two 100mg twice a day and I can tell as soon as it gets in my system. otherwise I don't want to do ANYTHING, EVERYTHINGS NEGITIVE AND EVERYTHING'S A CHORE. now when I take it I take better care of my self I tan I exersise I clean house and take time for me and don't feel like it's too much work to take care of myself.
    Now yesterday when I woke up I hadn't taken any wellbutrin at all because I worked thrid shift and I took it durring third shift so when I got home I took my prozac and the klonopin. I had a pretty good nap. I may stay on the klonopin to help me sleep becuase I work 3rd and my sleep is going to be messed up but when I woke up from a great nap and was searching for my glasses that WERE ON MY FACE!!! I knew it was the klonopin, the klonopin helps me be numb to the voices in my head that are hard on myself that tell me I'm not doing good enough or I'm not doing enough or my house is a dirty mess but it also causes me to be drowsey and not care so then the laundry doesn't get done, only what needs to get done to get by gets done. and that's not a fun life to live. I've decided to slowly taper off the klonopin maybe see if I should still take it or something elese to help me sleep in the day after thrid shift, and then I may try and wean down to a smaller dose of prozac, we'll see, I have a feeling that the prozac mellows me out and may counteract the manic effect of the wellbutrin.
    Isn't it scarrry we have to be our own pshychiatrists these days! My doc mentioned on my last call to him I said I was looking for my glasses and they were on my face should we go back to xananx and he said no it's too addicting of a drug, which it is, I felt like when I was on it I had a lifegrip on the RX bottle and if I didn't get my meds when I needed it if I had a bad day. I love my new doc he mentioned that if we can't figure this out I'd have to go to a psychiatrist! I just got used to him and I can tell him anything I love him I don't want to switch to someone who might treat me like crap or try and make my decisions for me without my input!! I don't NEED that anxiety!

Old 05-24-2006, 01:03 PM   #6
    trg247
    Senior Veteran
    (male)

trg247 HB Usertrg247 HB Usertrg247 HB User

A lot of your difficulties sound like sleep depravation. I think when you are talking with your doctor about your meds really emphasize the lack of sleep you are getting. You can take all sorts of meds but if you are not sleeping there is not much use. As for taking 3 meds, it is actually pretty common, I take six for example and they are all prescribed.

take care
    trg247
    Generalized Anxiety Disorder

Current Meds
    Pristiq
    Cymbalta
    Seroquel
    Temazapam

Old 05-24-2006, 01:34 PM   #7
    Jennita
    Inactive
    (female)

Jennita HB User

Lacy I have to tell you Wellbutrin and/or prozac will not help in the sleep department instead make it harder(SSRi's can cause insomnia side effect)and the reason you don't feel like doing anything without it is because it is alot like an upper....dopamine and norepinphrine are adrenaline basically. It can make you physically addicted (which is not the same as being an addict) so without it, that's when you feel like you can't move because your body is used to the adrenaline charge. Eventually, too much artificial stimulation can lead to adrenal dysfunction and less energy.

The klonopin is a downer, a benzo(minor tranqulizer) and will make you lazy and spacy, good for sleep but unfortuanately it is a benzo which can, in time, become ineffective and it is just as "addictive"(physically, mainly) as Xanax, which is also a benzo.

None of these meds will provide the natural, good for you sleep that rejuvinates the mind and body. Most interfere with some of the sleep structure, such as benzos usually supress some REM and deeper stage 4.

Maybe 3rd shift isn't for you. I agree with trg247 that without proper sleep meds won't be as effective. And at this rate you might find yourself getting manic depression (uppers and downers can cause this effect) when really it sounds like all you need is a better schedule for enough rest and recouperation, which will in turn give you the vital energy you need for your lifestyle.

All you will get from a psychiatrist is no doubt a manic depression diagnosis based on you energy shifts and sleep problems which may not be true, and that will just lead you down the path of psychiatric patient forever....now, not to say being a psychiatric patient is the worst thing in the world that could happen to you but it can be avoided since clearly your lifestyle and usage of meds to manipulate your sleep and your energy is what is wrong here.

So going to a psych doc won't change things, you have to change your priorities. Meanwhile, read the free online Ashton Manual on benzos like klonopin and check out drugawareness.org (approved by mod1) for the dangers for some people on SSRi's.

I'm not here to critisize anyone who needs meds but you need to read up and see if you can avoid becoming dependant on them especially if it's your lifestyle and not real mental illness that is causing you to have to take so many meds to just function everyday.

Closed Thread