It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Depression Message Board

• Lexapro and Wellbutrin - switching and withdrawal

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 05-25-2006, 09:06 AM   #1
    mjewell
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

mjewell HB Usermjewell HB Usermjewell HB Usermjewell HB User
    Lexapro and Wellbutrin - switching and withdrawal

I have been on Lexapro for close to a year, 20 mg. My doctor gave me Wellbutrin about a month ago to help with my sex drive and weight gain. I am doing a lot better now and I want to try to wean off everything and see how I manage without meds. I have tapered down to 10mgs of Lexapro and so far I do not feel any withdrawal effects at all. I'm wondering if being on Wellbutrin will help me to not have any withdrawal? I know you aren't supposed to quit any AD cold turkey, but sometimes doctors prescribe a switch when people are having issues with a certain drug. Am I correct to assume that since I am on Wellbutrin I shouldn't have any problems getting off Lex quickly?

Once I am completely off Lex I will begin weaning off Wellbutrin. Has anyone had any experience weaning from Wellbutrin? I don't see how I am going to be able to cut those pills..and the smallest does is 175, right??

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 05-25-2006, 09:11 AM   #2
    pinkeetoz
    (female)

pinkeetoz HB User
    Re: Lexapro and Wellbutrin - switching and withdrawal

Please reconsider getting off if it works for you. I did that with a few ssris. I felt good, got off. Now, I'm finding that after I try to introduce the med again, it doesn't work as well if any at all. Wishing you well, pinkeetoz

Old 05-25-2006, 10:37 AM   #3
    SOE
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

SOE HB UserSOE HB UserSOE HB UserSOE HB UserSOE HB UserSOE HB UserSOE HB User

Quote:
    Originally Posted by mjewell
    I have been on Lexapro for close to a year, 20 mg. My doctor gave me Wellbutrin about a month ago to help with my sex drive and weight gain. I am doing a lot better now and I want to try to wean off everything and see how I manage without meds. I have tapered down to 10mgs of Lexapro and so far I do not feel any withdrawal effects at all. I'm wondering if being on Wellbutrin will help me to not have any withdrawal? I know you aren't supposed to quit any AD cold turkey, but sometimes doctors prescribe a switch when people are having issues with a certain drug. Am I correct to assume that since I am on Wellbutrin I shouldn't have any problems getting off Lex quickly?

Once I am completely off Lex I will begin weaning off Wellbutrin. Has anyone had any experience weaning from Wellbutrin? I don't see how I am going to be able to cut those pills..and the smallest does is 175, right??
    Hi Mjewel

I weaned off Welbutrin. If I recall, those pills are round, correct? My smallest pill was 150 -- but I did cut the pills in half and in quarters. Wellbutrin was one of the easier drugs I got off of.

Also, I don't see anything wrong with trying to go without meds. Just know that it can be a long process. It can take 18 months to 2 years to really feel better -- because of all the withdrawal effects, discontinuation syndrome, etc. But I've been off 19 months now and feel pretty darn good. I had times where I considered going back on, but I'm glad I pushed through. I don't see myself ever going back on meds because I feel so much better physically and mentally.

Whatever you do, I support you.

SOE

Last edited by SOE; 05-25-2006 at 10:37 AM.

Old 05-25-2006, 11:11 AM   #4
    mjewell
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

thanks for responding guys.

pinkeetoz, I have also been thinking about that, that the AD won't work as well if I need to go back on it. That kind of worries me...then again, I would really rather not be on it forever, so I'm kind of going back and forth about it. Maybe I will just keep on it until i can change jobs, which is the cause of a lot of my anxiety.

SOE, yes, wellbutrin is the round one. Good to hear it is easier to wean from, as I really only wanted to take it to get the Lexapro weight off and to quit social smoking!!

I guess I will think about it a little longer. I will stick with the lower dose of 10mg of Lexapro and see how I feel with a lower dose.

Thanks again for your help!!

Old 05-25-2006, 02:19 PM   #5
    americandancer
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

americandancer HB User

Good luck with whatever you decide, mjewell! I wish the best for you and hopefully one day we can all be done with this anxiety crap!
    Kelly

Old 05-25-2006, 02:58 PM   #6
    mjewell
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

I know!! Are you still taking Lexapro Kelly?

Old 05-26-2006, 11:54 AM   #7
    americandancer
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

americandancer HB User

No, I've been taking cymbalta for the last 7-8 weeks. Not sure how I feel about it....it sometimes helps my anxiety, and sometimes I feel worse. I would like to try lexapro again, but I kept getting the hives everytime I took it. I may try again and just see if the itching goes away the longer I am on it. I was able to take lexapro one time and had no problems. It's weird. I would like to try the lex/wellbutrin combo. I have no problems taking two ad's, if it helps! I may give the cymbalta one more week and then try the lex if I don't feel better.

Closed Thread