It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Depression Message Board

• Lexapro/Wellbutrin combo? All together now!

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 05-25-2006, 12:39 PM   #1
    missyn
    (female)

missyn HB User
    Lexapro/Wellbutrin combo? All together now!

Hi! Does anyone have any wisdom to share? -A little on edge over here-

After 6 mos on Wellbutrin, I quit bc it made my insomnia worse and didn't help with anxiety, but did make me feel peppy and alive. -lots of energy-

Now the Doc put my back on Wellbutrin XL 300mg (I know, high starting dose) and added 10 mg Lexapro, which I have never tried. I guess he thought it was okay to start them together, but I decided to start the Wellbutrin first and see how bad those early side effects were before adding the Lex.

Day 5 on Wellbutrin: jittery and nervous, but it's not horrific.

Here are the questions: The doc said that Lexapro had a calming effect. --Should I go ahead and start the Lexapro now (hoping it will calm me a little) or wait a little longer to adjust to the WB?

--Does Lexapro help you become calmer in those first days/weeks or wired out of your mind?

--Does anyone have any experience with this combo.

Any insight, even just a little, will be very much appreciated.

Thanks,
    Missy

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 05-25-2006, 01:26 PM   #2
    CTCheryl
    (female)

CTCheryl HB User
    Re: Lexapro/Wellbutrin combo? All together now!

I am taking Lexapro but not Wellbutrin. The Lexapro is supposed to help with anxiety. I've been on it for two weeks. I have to say that my mood is much better and even. The anxiety is almost non-existent and when it does creep up, it's no where near as bad as it was and doesn't last as long.

Old 05-25-2006, 03:02 PM   #3
    mjewell
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

mjewell HB Usermjewell HB Usermjewell HB Usermjewell HB User

I am also taking Wellbutrin and Lexapro, but I went opposite - Lexapro first for 6 months, then started Wellbutrin. Lexapro does have a calming effect, but like any other AD, it can take several weeks to start working and it can have side effects at first. I haven't had any side effects with either, but my body is pretty tolerant.

Old 05-25-2006, 06:25 PM   #4
    missyn
    (female)

missyn HB User

Thanks for the quick replys. I was wondering, Jewell, how is this combo working for you? I think I may be a little like you as far as tolerance. I have never had any huge problems going on or off any meds. -Knock on wood!-

I would love to hear from anyone with any experience in this area.

Old 05-26-2006, 09:33 AM   #5
    mjewell
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

mjewell HB Usermjewell HB Usermjewell HB Usermjewell HB User

The combo is working wonderfully, but I am a little wary of taking two anti-depressants. I just feel like I'm on a drug cocktail that I might not really need. I don't intend to stay on the Wellbutrin too long, cause I was doing fine on Lexapro, I just was gaining some weight and no sex drive.

Old 05-27-2006, 10:28 PM   #6
    WanderingSoul
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

WanderingSoul HB User

I am now taking Wellbutrin and Lexapro as well.. Was on Lexapro for a while, but it was no longer effective (and there was the no sex drive problem).. So psychiatrist just added Wellbutrin a few days ago.. I am curious to hear how your experiences are with the two of them as well.

Mainly I just want to not hate myself. But I guess that is what we all want.

Old 06-03-2006, 03:08 PM   #7
    pearls256
    (female)

pearls256 HB User
    Smile Re: Lexapro/Wellbutrin combo? All together now!

I started on lexapro 10 mg in Jan 06, my depression and anxiety did not improve at all , actually even got so deep in the dark I had sudicial thoughts. I was also taking a lot of valium 10 mg on my bad days ( at work). The first of May I added Wellbutrin XL 100 mg. Within 2 days I was 100% better!!! I am so excited to see my doc in a few weeks to tell him the good news. He said the combination would put the "spark back in my eyes and smile back on my face" Even on the worse days at work now I have no need of the valium. Lexapro and Wellbutrin work in two different ways so there are some of us that need both. The lexapro was giving me intensely bad vivid dreams but I started taking it at lunch with a full meal and the dreams are still more vivid but not bad. Being just on the Lexapro I had no desire for sex, luckly the Wellbutrin gave it back

Closed Thread