It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Depression Message Board

• Upped Lexapro & Still Not Feeling Much Relief

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 05-25-2006, 02:21 PM   #1
    salty
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

salty HB Usersalty HB User
    Upped Lexapro & Still Not Feeling Much Relief

Hi, everyone. I'm feeling a little better going from 10 mg. of Lexapro to 20 mg., but I'm still depressed.

I was taking both pills at the same time, but that made me feel weird so I started taking one in the morning and then one in the afternoon.

I think the depression was subsiding better when I was taking them together, but it made me feel too whacked out!

It costs me every time I go to my dr. and I have been there so much lately, I was hoping to try to adjust the Lexapro myself (since I know my body best).

I'm wondering if I shouldn't try taking 15 mg. all at once and see how that goes.

Any suggestions?

Thank you.

Salty

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 05-25-2006, 02:46 PM   #2
    americandancer
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

americandancer HB User
    Re: Upped Lexapro & Still Not Feeling Much Relief

That's what I would do....try taking 15 for a while and then moving up to 20mg if necessary. You could also cut the 20 in quarters and just take 12.5 for a week and then try 15.

Old 05-25-2006, 04:15 PM   #3
    pinkeetoz
    (female)

pinkeetoz HB User

Salty, I am on Lexapro 20mg. Have been for about 8-9 weeks. (Second time around) Each time I begin an ssri I have anxiety. My phychiatrist told me that I could wait it out, that it would be stable in my system once we stop increasing, or I could take .5 xanax in the morning and .5 at night. NOT suggesting anything, just wanted to share, hope this helps, pinkeetoz

Old 05-25-2006, 08:07 PM   #4
    salty
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

Thank you, pinkeetoz. I decided to try taking the 20 mg. at night so maybe I wouldn't feel all the weird side effects.

I'm going to see how that works. I hate having this depression. I want it to end! Did the 20 mg. decrease you depression?

Salty

Old 05-25-2006, 08:46 PM   #5
    Schupp1832
    Inactive

Schupp1832 HB User

Salty, I hope that you feel better soon, but it might not work for you. It doesn't work for everyone.

Old 05-26-2006, 08:14 PM   #6
    salty
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

Everyone, I'm really hurting. Nothing I try seems to be working and I'm getting so discouraged.

I guess I have to go back to the doctor again. I'm so tired of being sad and crying and not living the way I should be. I thought for sure upping the dosage would help.

I wish I could get some suggestions. I'm going to post again. I just feel helpless.

Salty

Old 05-26-2006, 08:43 PM   #7
    Ariesladi25
    Inactive
    (female)

Ariesladi25 HB User

Hello Salty!

I used to be on Lexapro 10 mg, for a month i was feeling a bit better, then boom! i felt worse..so i too was on 20mg, and then i gave up all together on meds... DO NOT DO THAT!!! I made the mistake just stopping them and i was worse off than before.... after a few months of being off Lexapro i was put on Paxil, i gained 30 pounds from that so i got off that as well....

I did experience anxiety with Lexapro but i got used to it after soem time... i was given xanax and i took that for a while while my body adjusted to Lexapro, but unfortunately the xanax worked great and i built up a tolerance to it, it is a band aid for problems....

I guess my suggestion would be to tell your doctor you need a different anti depressant, there are so many out there now, i heard wellbutrin and zoloft work well for some, but Lexapro is supposed to be the one with less side effects, but then again everyone is differnet.....

Keep me posted and please talk with your doctor, he or she should be able to switch you immediately..although when i switched from lexapro to another i had to stop taking lexapro and wait one week before starting the other medicine ... so make sure to talk to your doctor!

Old 05-26-2006, 08:56 PM   #8
    salty
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

amc23, Zoloft was awful and wellbutrin did nothing for me...I've tried so many. Lexapro was the one that really worked great! I guess that's why I'm scared because now I don't know what else there is.

I really expected to feel better and I'm no better. When I first took the 20 mg., I felt a little better, but then I went right back down again. I have Klonopin if I need it for anxiety.

I just hate this depression. I lived on and off with it for 25 years and I know my body so well and I know the Lexapro isn't cutting it right now...I just don't know what to do. Believe it or not, I usual give the ideas to my doctor and I'm usually right.

I'm stumped this time and so tired of hurting. I want a life back.

Thank you for writing.

Salty

Old 05-28-2006, 04:01 AM   #9
    roz5
    Veteran
    (female)

roz5 HB Userroz5 HB User

Salty, you sound JUST like me!!
    I have tried Wellbutrin, Buspar, Zoloft, Xanax, and am now on Lexapro (10mg). I was also prescribed Klonopin to help me sleep....but that turned me into a walking zombie!!
    The Lexapro does not seem to be doing much for me either. In fact, I don't like the way I feel on it. I now take it at night, but yet I still feel so tired and numb. I have no emotion and I am physically & mentally tired. I guess my anxiety is under control!! But I don't like who I am. This is not me.
    Add fuel to the fire....I had a hysterectomy this past year and have been struggling since then with hormone meds. I am not taking any hormone meds right now (my gyn wanted me to stop them to see if that was adding to my depression).
    I'm with you, Salty......seeking answers to finding the "old me" again!

Old 05-28-2006, 06:36 AM   #10
    Schupp1832
    Inactive

Schupp1832 HB User

I remember getting good advice from women visiting hysterectomy sites and uterine fibroid sites. Antidepressants don't address real issues, esp. those of hormonal problems. Do some research on women's problems. I've heard a lot about progesterone cream too, that could be beneficial.

Old 05-28-2006, 06:43 AM   #11
    roz5
    Veteran
    (female)

roz5 HB Userroz5 HB User

I've done research for nearly a year now! I've visited so many hysterectomy web-sites and have read and read and read. In fact, I have often had input with my gyn as to what we should try next! I've tried nearly every form of pill, cream & rings (both compounded & not); bio-identical & synthetic. No doubt, the hormonal imbalance is a big part of my issues. It's just a matter of finding the balance. I was not fully prepared for this surgical menopause! Thank goodness I have a fabulous gyn who has been so incredibly patient with me. She is a gem.

Old 05-28-2006, 06:53 AM   #12
    Ezzra-O
    (female)

Ezzra-O HB User

Hey,
    Just want to let you know that I also tried Lexapro 10mg for about 6 weeks and I think that if anything , it may have only made me worse.
    After the nausea subsided, I felt more unstable than before, and being guilty of self harm, the urges actually increased.
    I ended up going back to my doc because I kept crying and crying. not a single day passed without tears.
    My doc took me off the Lexapro and (unfortunately) put me on Efexor. Th problem is now I can't get off it!
    The Efexor seemed to help and I cry less. I still have really down times and I'm also searching for the 'normal' me.
    Do you see a doc that bulk bills?
    I tried a few docs until I found one that felt right.
    Keep your chin up, and hopefully soon some happiness will come your way.
    Just remember, the key to happiness gets mislaid - but the door is always unlocked.
    love Ezz

Closed Thread