It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Depression Message Board

• How Do Anti-depressants Make You Put on Weight?

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 06-30-2006, 07:57 PM   #1
    mrm

mrm HB User
    Post How Do Anti-depressants Make You Put on Weight?

I am currently on Prozac, which I recently read causes weight gain. I was wondering if anyone could please tell me HOW and WHY these problems come along. IS there another anti-depressant that does much better not increasnig your weight?

I'm really concerned...as I need to be on an AD, but I also need to loose weight for health reasons.

I hope someone might be able to shine some light on this.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 06-30-2006, 09:06 PM   #2
    MrsLee
    Veteran
    (female)

MrsLee HB User
    Re: How Do Anti-depressants Make You Put on Weight?

I just discussed this in depth with my doctor the other day. According to him, no one truly knows the reason people gain weight on antidepressants. And not everyone gains weight.

Some theories he brought up:

Depressed people may lose their appetites, and once they start feeling better, they get their appetites back and start eating more.

The drugs actually alter body metabolism.

People who also have anxiety tend to burn more calories because of fidgety behavior, and when that stops, they don't burn as many calories.

I have heard that Wellbutrin is supposed to be good for not causing weight gain.

Old 07-01-2006, 04:34 PM   #3
    WanderingSoul
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

WanderingSoul HB User

MrsLee is right... Not everyone on AD's gain weight. In fact, I think the majority if people don't (even though a fairly significant minority do). I've been on several AD's, and none of them made me gain weight. Two that have made me lose weight are: Serzone, and Wellbutrin. (Clinical trials for Wellbutrin show that a large minority of people do lose weight on it, whereas no one gains weight on it).

Anyways... I would give the Prozac a try first though.. It very likely won't cause you to gain.

Good luck!

Old 07-01-2006, 06:46 PM   #4
    SOE
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

SOE HB UserSOE HB UserSOE HB UserSOE HB UserSOE HB UserSOE HB UserSOE HB User

Quote:
    Originally Posted by WanderingSoul
    MrsLee is right... Not everyone on AD's gain weight. In fact, I think the majority if people don't (even though a fairly significant minority do).
    Everything I've read, and everyone I've known on ADs suggests the opposite. It is very common for people to gain weight on ADs, even Prozac. Yes everyone is different, and not everyone will gain weight on the same AD, but to be fair... people need to be prepared that it may happen.

Quote:
    Originally Posted by WanderingSoul
    (Clinical trials for Wellbutrin show that a large minority of people do lose weight on it, whereas no one gains weight on it).
    I'm not trying to pick on you... I just don't like to see statements made as though they are fact. Some people do gain weight on Wellbutrin. I gained weight on Wellbutrin, and I know others that did as well. The thing to remember is that everyone reacts differently to ADs... not everyone gets all the side effects... but I don't think there is one AD out there that can claim that absolutely no one will gain weight if they take a certain AD.

Last edited by SOE; 07-01-2006 at 06:53 PM.

Old 07-02-2006, 01:38 PM   #5
    allsorts
    Inactive
    (male)

allsorts HB User

I haven't gained any such weight still after 10 months.

Old 07-02-2006, 03:47 PM   #6
    WanderingSoul
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

WanderingSoul HB User

The stats from the clinical trials for Wellbutrin would suggest that any weight gain that occurs while on the drug is NOT due to the wellbutrin (since more people gained on the placebo than on the wellbutrin), but more likely due to some other vairable. This information is available at the website for Wellbutrin, if anyone wants to read for themselves.

But.. at the end of the day.. I guess none of us cares so much about the overall statistics as much as we care about how something affects us individually!! And we're all different, so it's really a trial and error process.

Old 07-02-2006, 07:02 PM   #7
    jealibeanz
    Inactive
    (female)

jealibeanz HB User

I gained on Wellbutrin too. Believe me, it was a metabolism related event. I was a competive college athlete training twice daily and eating very healtily. I put on 20 lbs in 4 months. I've gained on others too. Clinical trials don't show all the possible side effects because a limited number of people are involved, the are short in duration, and many of the drug companies scew/minimize negative results!

Old 07-02-2006, 09:50 PM   #8
    midwestmom
    (female)

midwestmom HB User

I've gained since on Wellbutrin also.

Old 07-02-2006, 09:52 PM   #9
    SOE
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

SOE HB UserSOE HB UserSOE HB UserSOE HB UserSOE HB UserSOE HB UserSOE HB User

Quote:
    Originally Posted by jealibeanz
    Clinical trials don't show all the possible side effects because a limited number of people are involved, the are short in duration, and many of the drug companies scew/minimize negative results!

I believe this to be true. If you check the length of most trials, they are quite short in duration.

Old 07-03-2006, 04:50 AM   #10
    allsorts
    Inactive
    (male)

allsorts HB User

See, I think the reason why I haven't gained any weight is because I simply have an incredibly fast metabolism in the first place. The meds probably have slowed it a bit but not to the extent where weight starts piling on.

Closed Thread