It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Depression Message Board

• Cranial Electrotherapy Stimulation

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 07-04-2006, 09:30 AM   #1
    Astroboy529
    (male)

Astroboy529 HB User
    Cranial Electrotherapy Stimulation

Hello everyone and happy 4th!

I started a thread about a non drug treatment for panic, insomnia, anxiety, and depression called Cranial Electrotherapy Stimulation. I actually read about it from a thread on these boards a while back. I've bought a home device and have been using it daily for about two weeks. There is no doubt it has had a positive effect with no side effects. I've slept better had no anxiety issues more energy and seem to want less isolation than I did before.

I think everyone, whether you're on AD's or not ought to look at this alternative. I frankly don't understand why the primary banter on this site is about how one drug differs from the next when something like this is out there and has a myriad of studies showing a higher efficacy rate than any pharmaceutical treatment. I, for one, am thrilled that I learned about this from someone on these boards, and for that reason I want to try again to let you all know this therapy exists. It is also faster than any med as the benefits start to show themselves within days not weeks or months.

I've really found depression to be the worst experience of my life and I would have done anything to revert to my pre-depression self. I think that's happening as I use the device, although I have a little ways to go. For those of you that are fixated on pharmaceutical solutions, god bless you and good luck, but if just ONE person tries this and gets the results I think they will, the post will be well worth it.

Today is independence day and by next year, if not a lot sooner I intend to be independent of the torture of depression. I wish the same for all of you no matter how you get there.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 07-05-2006, 08:27 AM   #2
    J0J0
    Inactive

J0J0 HB UserJ0J0 HB UserJ0J0 HB UserJ0J0 HB UserJ0J0 HB UserJ0J0 HB UserJ0J0 HB UserJ0J0 HB UserJ0J0 HB UserJ0J0 HB UserJ0J0 HB User
    Re: Cranial Electrotherapy Stimulation

Hi Astro....this is such wonderful news that you are feeling so much better.... I think alot of people haven't heard about this...I never heard of it until reading it on these boards....Pharmasuticels are a big money maker...Legal drug selling that is all it is....There is such a HIGH percentage rate on who these drugs work on....I forget what it is something I think like 1 out of 7....(anyone want to correct me on that?) .....I was around a couple of family members yesterday...and they like me gained sooooo....much flippin weight off of these drugs......they still are on the med's and it would be hard to tell them not to take them....I take SAMe right now....it is natural and helps to undo the damamge that the med's caused...

Say I am so excited for you.....I am sure it is a real relief to you ......Keep spreading the word!!! And hope you have continued healing

God Bless.....

Old 07-05-2006, 09:32 AM   #3
    Astroboy529
    (male)

Astroboy529 HB User

Jojo:

This device is fabulous and the lack of interest in it on these boards is utterly amazing. It leads me to believe that a lot of folks here just want to revel in their misery and if it doesn't come in a pill they can't be bothered. If it helps one person, It's worth posting, but the topics seem to be disproportionately about how much everyone hates their "meds" yet they don't seem to show interest in alternatives...I have to say I'm disappointed. I've tried to share a real, viable alternative which has been effective on even the most hard core cases, and the reaction falls flat as if some just prefer to remain awash in their misery....

Old 07-05-2006, 10:01 AM   #4
    erin1715
    (female)

erin1715 HB User

My husband is currently taking 2 antidepressants and I'm not sure if these will even work for him. If I were to buy a CES system, would there be any danger in him using the CES while taking the antidepressants? I just don't want him to stop the meds cold turkey because I know they can have a downer effect on people. I have researched CES since I read your post and it sounds like it's worth a shot. But I also read some things about how in the US you need a prescription for it? Do you live in the US? Are you under a doctor's care while using the CES system? Also, I understand that you are using the alpha-stim which is very expensive, and I have found a CES device called HealthPax, which is much less expensive. This device attaches behind the ears near the earlobes for stimulation. Any thoughts about it? Any information you can give me would be sooo appreciated!

Last edited by erin1715; 07-05-2006 at 10:21 AM.

Old 07-05-2006, 10:27 AM   #5
    Charme
    Veteran
    (male)

Charme HB User

Hi Astroboy,

In one way I agree with you, posts I've made about (for example) VNS and SAMe have received very little feedback. I actually post very little about meds themselves, though this is mainly because my experience with them is abnormal therefore anything I say would be biased toward the minority. Having said all this though, I hesitate to judge what others on this board choose what to discuss and what not to discuss. We depressives are judged enough already, and we must bear in mind that regardless of its name depression affects our minds in more ways than just making us feel depressed.

I've expressed interest in this device previously, and I do read your posts with interest. I should apologise for not being more active on your thread, many days I'm too withdrawn to post to people here I don't know well, other days I try to be as active as possible. If it's of interest to you I intend to mention CES at my VNS interview next week should the opportunity arise.

I was sorry to hear that several days ago the device didn't work for you, I hope that doesn't happen too often and it continues to improve the quality of your life. And please keep up the posts, I will make more of an effort to be active on threads regarding alternative treatments such as your own.

Best,
    Charme

Old 07-05-2006, 11:31 AM   #6
    trg247
    Senior Veteran
    (male)

trg247 HB Usertrg247 HB Usertrg247 HB User

I think part of the reason for people not replying is skeptism. Most of us were promised by our doctors that the meds would take care of the problem, which if were true this would be a very empty forum. I have been through drug cocktails, therapy and ECT to no avail so when I see a post like yours the first thing that runs through my mind is it will not work for me or else my doctor would have brought it up. At least thats how I see it.

trg247
    Generalized Anxiety Disorder

Current Meds
    Pristiq
    Cymbalta
    Seroquel
    Temazapam

Old 07-05-2006, 01:17 PM   #7
    Astroboy529
    (male)

Astroboy529 HB User

I'm glad to see some discussion. Charme, the device IS working, I am quite pleased. As to the cost, It's possible that some insurance may pay for it since many plans pay for medical devices. I can't comment on another brand since I'm satisfied with this one. Finally, the whole point of the post was to point out a non-pharmaceutical alternative. I'm convinced they don't work half as well as the medical industry would have people believe, and the lack of side effects alone, is a compelling reason to give it a try. Skepticism is a natural reaction, but IMHO it ought to be about drugs, which I see post after post complaining about. I can only comment on my experience, so far and I think this device is great, relative to any thing else I've seen. And if you're taking SAMe or HTP5, those are metabolized much more efficiently into seratonin and other neurotransmitters by the current, which is barely noticeable. There is a ton of research on the net, which I did before buying the machine. I think the ONLY reason it isn't the treatment of choice is that it would eat into Anti-depressant sales. And, I can tell you of the top 10 selling drugs at least 7 are antidepressants or sleeping pills. So, our friends in big-pharma don't like seeing doctors know about this.

Old 07-05-2006, 01:59 PM   #8
    Charme
    Veteran
    (male)

Charme HB User

Well my situation/plan is this. Originally, before trying ADs, I tried the alternative treatments such as supplements, exercise and diet. That didn't work so at the moment I'm trying the last available AD to me, and just like the others I'm not seeing any benefit whatsoever so no doubt the next time I see my psych I shall be pulled off of them. Next Tuesday I have an appointment for several interviews to see if I am eligible for VNS. In the UK we generally don't have health insurance and instead rely upon the national health service. So if I'm eligible for VNS it will cost me nothing. I forget what board these people I'm seeing sit upon, but according to my psych they are "the creme de la creme" of their field. If they decide I'm not eligible for VNS they'll put forward suggestions for other treatments.

Sorry for that long history of my treatment, sometimes it's just easier to put everything into context.

So anyway, depending upon the outcome on Tuesday, plan B if you like is to try the CES. Unfortunately without insurance I'll have to pay the full cost of the unit, but as I will be forced to sell my home anyway the finance can come from there. Alongside that I want to try those alternative treatments again as I know I didn't exhaust them fully. Certainly, as I was still working at the time, I can't rely upon the experiences I had before because of my mental condition. So it would be better to start experimenting with them again. Regardless, now that it seems I'll be no longer on the ADs, expect a thread from me describing my experiences while moving onward!

I suspect there are several reasons why there aren't many non-pharmaceutical threads here. It's likely most people don't find this forum until they've been fighting depression for sometime. So if they originally tried non-pharmaceutical methods, they presumably didn't work and by the time they find their way here they're already on the ADs. Those people who come here suspecting they have depression are quite rightly advised to see their doctor, which then likely leads them to the ADs. And the final few, well they are in the minority and unfortunately are likely to disappear just because they are in the minority.

Very interesting that 7 of the 10 best selling drugs are ADs or sleeping aids. Much of that talk links into what I've said in trg's thread "If you could take one pill to be happy..."

Best,
    Charme

Old 06-18-2007, 11:40 AM   #9
    Seymour93
    Senior Veteran
    (male)

Seymour93 HB User

Quote:
    Originally Posted by Astroboy529 View Post
    Hello everyone and happy 4th!

I started a thread about a non drug treatment for panic, insomnia, anxiety, and depression called Cranial Electrotherapy Stimulation. I actually read about it from a thread on these boards a while back. I've bought a home device and have been using it daily for about two weeks. There is no doubt it has had a positive effect with no side effects. I've slept better had no anxiety issues more energy and seem to want less isolation than I did before.

I think everyone, whether you're on AD's or not ought to look at this alternative. I frankly don't understand why the primary banter on this site is about how one drug differs from the next when something like this is out there and has a myriad of studies showing a higher efficacy rate than any pharmaceutical treatment. I, for one, am thrilled that I learned about this from someone on these boards, and for that reason I want to try again to let you all know this therapy exists. It is also faster than any med as the benefits start to show themselves within days not weeks or months.

I've really found depression to be the worst experience of my life and I would have done anything to revert to my pre-depression self. I think that's happening as I use the device, although I have a little ways to go. For those of you that are fixated on pharmaceutical solutions, god bless you and good luck, but if just ONE person tries this and gets the results I think they will, the post will be well worth it.

Today is independence day and by next year, if not a lot sooner I intend to be independent of the torture of depression. I wish the same for all of you no matter how you get there.

Thanks for the info. I did not know a home device was on the market.

Old 06-21-2007, 12:38 PM   #10
    positivity17
    Veteran
    (female)

positivity17 HB User

Please post again after using the CES for more than two weeks to let us know how's it going.

Old 06-21-2007, 05:27 PM   #11
    peace1910
    (female)

peace1910 HB User

please, just tell me where to look to buy one of those CES machines..and how much are you talking about? hundreds? thousands? i've had depression for 40 years and my AD isn't working again....i'm up for almost anything that will help.............please, just move me in the right direction......peace

Old 06-21-2007, 06:10 PM   #12
    trg247
    Senior Veteran
    (male)

trg247 HB Usertrg247 HB Usertrg247 HB User

This post is over a year old and I do not recall seeing the author of this post in the last nine months or so.

I have been on this site for a long time. Cranial Electrotherapy Simulation I believe has not come out as a topic since this post which leads me to believe it is not that effective. Normally when something is working there are constant posts about it. This is just my opinion though

take care
    trg247
    Generalized Anxiety Disorder

Current Meds
    Pristiq
    Cymbalta
    Seroquel
    Temazapam

Old 06-22-2007, 07:29 PM   #13
    Seymour93
    Senior Veteran
    (male)

Seymour93 HB User

I hope the op comes back. CES has been around for a while and based on what I can find....looks interesting.

Old 07-03-2007, 02:11 PM   #14
    melora9
    (female)

melora9 HB User

The cost is $495. Some distributors offer rent-to-own programs as well. Some insurance plans cover the Alpha-Stim.

Free protocols and research and clinical results are available online via a web search.

Quote:
    Originally Posted by peace1910 View Post
    please, just tell me where to look to buy one of those CES machines..and how much are you talking about? hundreds? thousands? i've had depression for 40 years and my AD isn't working again....i'm up for almost anything that will help.............please, just move me in the right direction......peace

Last edited by melora9; 07-05-2007 at 12:11 PM.

Old 07-03-2007, 08:04 PM   #15
    positivity17
    Veteran
    (female)

positivity17 HB User

Melora: Have you had any experience with CES? Can you tell us anything about the results? Much appreciation.

Closed Thread